Drive in Rotary Block is useless

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
I'm a massive fan of the Rotary block and it definitely got a lot better when it was given a major overhaul. One thing I'm still disappointed about is the drive parameter. It seems to do absolutely nothing until you get past 9 on the dial and then it still sounds crappy and thin. Doesn't sound anything like a nice driven rotary cabinet.

I'm wondering what you guys do to get a nice driven leslie sound? Is there a preferred Drive or Amp block that you run into it?

Depends where you put the Rotary. Its Drive acts differently when Rotary is before or after the Amp block.

I prefer it before the Amp block and don’t need it to run stereo.

I'm wondering what you guys do to get a nice driven leslie sound? Is there a preferred Drive or Amp block that you run into it?
I just use an overdriven amp now and keep drive at 0.00 on the rotary block. I find the results more satisfying. I get a chewy rotary I can sink my teeth into that way. Placement is post-CAB block, in series, mix at 50% and level at 2.0 dB.

I don't remember exactly what amp I used on this preset but here is my rotary block. I spent some time tweaking this to my liking.
Drive is at 0. All distortion is from the amp.
I place the rotary after the amp and before the cab generally.

Here is a clam-filled demo I made a while back ... Channels A and B switch between slow and fast rotation.

Attachments

• Rock General-Rotary 1.blk
    326 bytes · Views: 4
I just use an overdriven amp now and keep drive at 0.00 on the rotary block. I find the results more satisfying. I get a chewy rotary I can sink my teeth into that way. Placement is post-CAB block, in series, mix at 50% and level at 2.0 dB.

Sounding pretty amazing there, especially the 2nd clip. Any idea what amp that was?

I always place the rotary after the Amp block and before the Cab block. I wish the actual Drive parameter in the Rotary block did what it was supposed to do. It's an other wise great sounding leslie but that chewie whooshy gritty sound just isn't there using the drive parameter.

I don't remember exactly what amp I used on this preset but here is my rotary block. I spent some time tweaking this to my liking.
Drive is at 0. All distortion is from the amp.
I place the rotary after the amp and before the cab generally.

Here is a clam-filled demo I made a while back ... Channels A and B switch between slow and fast rotation.

Awesome sound. I never really looked to Rotary as a lead type sound but this has got me thinking....

Please keep posting your Rotary clips guys. I love hearing how people are using it. Such and awesome effect..

Back
Top Bottom