drive block curves

Cool!!!! It'd be great to see what the amp sims would look like? Along with the cabs... visually, I think this would really help in finding "your tone" ... especially the cab models (if you can't seem to get enough low end even with the tone knobs maxed, then switch to a cab that has more "low end" type of reference...) Thanks DP.

P.S. No wonder I've never really like Drive blocks in my chain... most of them kill all the low end!!! Especially the popular 808...

Last edited:
Cool!!!! It'd be great to see what the amp sims would look like? Along with the cabs... visually, I think this would really help in finding "your tone" ... especially the cab models (if you can't seem to get enough low end even with the tone knobs maxed, then switch to a cab that has more "low end" type of reference...) Thanks DP.

P.S. No wonder I've never really like Drive blocks in my chain... most of them kill all the low end!!! Especially the popular 808...

welcome. :)

there's already a sticky from drosei about that
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/user-cabs-irs/22279-stock-cabs-freq-response-curves.html

If this was done for the amp sims, it would be doing a lot of people a lot of favors.

I'll give it a try, but from what I know about 'raw' output of an amp (no cab) I don't think it'll be of much use.
also, it would only reflect the tonestack in it's current position obviously, and not show it's potential.

hmm...
maybe it would make more sense to use the tube pre and switch through all the tonestacks.

I'll give it a try, but from what I know about 'raw' output of an amp (no cab) I don't think it'll be of much use.
also, it would only reflect the tonestack in it's current position obviously, and not show it's potential.

hmm...
maybe it would make more sense to use the tube pre and switch through all the tonestacks.

Very cool stuff here. Thanks for doing this and sharing. I had a similar thought about doing this with the amps and showing what would happen with everything in a neutral position then changing the tone controls to the extremes. This way you could see what the bass control is doing. Just haven't had the true motivation to do so.

I like your idea about doing that with the tone stacks.

Another idea would be to do this with the stock cab blocks without any mics unless somebody has done this already. IMHO, amps may be the most important component in the signal chain, but you're sunk without a good matching cab. No pressure here, of course.;) It's a really big job.

Thanks for what you've done so far.

Last edited:
Don. This is one of the most interesting pieces of information I've seen in a long time. We know that pedals have their own EQ curves, and there have been one-off analyses published, but this the first time I've seen a comparison across so many models.

hmm...

The idea is interesting and it would be nice to compare the different tonestacks. But is does it make any sense with the tube pre amp (or any other amp for that matter) ?
I thought they would be affecting the sound in all kinds of ways besides an EQ print and that would make the information unprecise?

But actually now that I read my pessimistic post. Never mind! just give it a go and we'll see :)
Thanks for the effort!
Jens

The idea is interesting and it would be nice to compare the different tonestacks. But is does it make any sense with the tube pre amp (or any other amp for that matter) ?
I thought they would be affecting the sound in all kinds of ways besides an EQ print and that would make the information unprecise?

does it make sense? I don't know.
is the information I retrieve by blasting the tonestacks with white noise imprecise? you bet!

I did it nonetheless because a) I'm curious and b) I wanted to have some way to compare the tonestacks to each other.

Ironically enough, now that I did the tonestack curves I realized that I really like the active 'setting' :D

But actually now that I read my pessimistic post. Never mind! just give it a go and we'll see :)

I posted the results today at 3 pm ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom