Dream Theater Awake Tone Matches: Lead & Rhythm patches

AdamCook

Power User
Last edited:
Sounds killer. Good job. Jammit can be fun - it's a lot of fun just to listen to the stems. Their tab is sometimes sketchy, but that's not a big deal.

Sounds killer. Good job. Jammit can be fun - it's a lot of fun just to listen to the stems. Their tab is sometimes sketchy, but that's not a big deal.

Yes, Jammit's tabs are very sketchy at times. Good to know it's not just me. I was questioning my sanity at one point while refreshing my memory on one of the DT tracks. Had to pull out the hard copy just to be sure I wasn't losing my mind.

And yes, this is a great patch!!! I love the stereo separation in there. I'm assuming this wasn't double tracked/reamped, correct? Won't have time to test it out until tomorrow evening...

Yes, Jammit's tabs are very sketchy at times. Good to know it's not just me. I was questioning my sanity at one point while refreshing my memory on one of the DT tracks. Had to pull out the hard copy just to be sure I wasn't losing my mind.

Yep - it's kind of strange that they take such attention to detail with the tracks and their delivery, but go against known transcriptions that are available (and in Petrucci's case, the "approved by JP" tab books). Seems it would be easier just to see what's already out there and get it right. I only bring it up as it's a bit puzzling they wouldn't make more of an effort there - not opening up the "ear vs. tab" debate - ear is always best anyway.

But back to the thread -- Adam's playing and tone: awesome!

Bang the target.. Or bang on the target.. Depends on the target..

Anyway; awesome job Adam!!

I actually didn't even pay attention to the Jammit tab because I bought the original tab book for Awake back in 1994 or something :). The original tab book interestingly enough has a couple errors in the tab but the notes themselves seem correct. The Jammit app was really useful for getting the iso tracks not just for tone matching but for more clearly hearing the guitar layers and mix.

I doubled tracked the rhythm parts. It's definitely not as tight as the original....JP is like a machine. The lead part is one track but with slight delay on one side for the classic stereo enhancer technique. There were a couple places that I'm pretty sure JP purely alternate picked where I had to cheat and economy pick.

I also added a Youtube version to my original post.

Last edited:
cool! I love this album, got a 7 string? do "Lie" :)

I wish...I had a 7 string but sold it a while ago. Might be time to get another :).

I don't think the Tone Match preset would be too different though. The main heavy rhythm tone sounds pretty similar across this album.

I wish...I had a 7 string but sold it a while ago. Might be time to get another :).

I don't think the Tone Match preset would be too different though. The main heavy rhythm tone sounds pretty similar across this album.
I've got a nice 7 (my avatar pic) I'll download your patches tonight and see how close they sound with the lower tunings.
Nice playing on that song BTW :)
Anyone got a good backing track for Lie or the Mirror or Caught in a web?

Really cool to hear how accurate the tone is in your clip, and then hen playing the presets alone is not at all what I'd expect.
The tone is much dryer and have less gain than what i would think when hearing the original. Nice example of how tone fit well in the mix with lesser gain and dryer character!

Back
Top Bottom