Wish Doubler

Just saw this now.
Listening in headphones, the main thing I hear is the L-R stereo location of the guitar moving around, like panning.
Didn't hear anything that reminded me of multiple guitar tracks.
It's not intended to sound like doubled guitars (in spite of the name). Like the various pitch and chorus effects that come up in these discussions, its purpose to add stereo imaging to a mono track.

It's not intended to sound like doubled guitars (in spite of the name). Like the various pitch and chorus effects that come up in these discussions, its purpose to add stereo imaging to a mono track.
Hmmm, ok.
The word "doubler" I thought implied mimic-ing (sorry) a double-tracked part, a slightly different second take.

In this particular clip, do you hear anything that couldn't be done with a pan pot on a mono signal, albeit one that at least sometimes got changed in momentary patches of silence?

I like my Mimiq pedal on one side only w 1 voice 100% wet / pre distortion into one side of hard panned dual amps - I don't even risk the other side going thru the pedal's dry thru - sounds best to me this way - I should have just bought the Mimiq mini at 1/2 the price as I never use mine in stereo. Don't know if it qualifies for the "doubler" title but I like what it does.

Hmmm, ok.
The word "doubler" I thought implied mimic-ing (sorry) a double-tracked part, a slightly different second take.

In this particular clip, do you hear anything that couldn't be done with a pan pot on a mono signal, albeit one that at least sometimes got changed in momentary patches of silence?
ADT is an effect pioneered by the Beatles. It's primitive by today's standards, but it's still a highly prized effect because of the vintage vibe. The key feature in the Waves plugin that emulates it is the subtle randomization of the chorus-style pitch modulation.

ADT is an effect pioneered by the Beatles. It's primitive by today's standards, but it's still a highly prized effect because of the vintage vibe. The key feature in the Waves plugin that emulates it is the subtle randomization of the chorus-style pitch modulation.
Yes something like this is what I expect.
Not panning.

I have yet to hear a modulated delay that doesn't sound like crap when summed to Mono with the original. Until someone invents a way to eliminate or disguise the comb filter in realtime..... The LFO waveform is irrelevant. The comb's existence is what ruins it for me.

It's especially objectionable with harmonically-rich signals like a distorted guitar.

I have yet to hear a modulated delay that doesn't sound like crap when summed to Mono with the original. Until someone invents a way to eliminate or disguise the comb filter in realtime..... The LFO waveform is irrelevant. The comb's existence is what ruins it for me.

It's especially objectionable with harmonically-rich signals like a distorted guitar.
The key is to do waveshaping on one side. For example, use different amps left and right. But...these days, mono summing isn't as important as it used to be. In a live setting you probably wouldn't use a stereo preset if the audience is hearing mono. For recorded music, even phones have stereo speakers these days and that's enough separation to avoid comb filtering.

Just saw this now.
Listening in headphones, the main thing I hear is the L-R stereo location of the guitar moving around, like panning.
Didn't hear anything that reminded me of multiple guitar tracks.
The Haas pan effect. The changes in panning are a psychoacoustic side-effect of the variable doubling delay time switching around the static one. The two tracks are panned hard left and hard right. The one that arrives at your ears first is interpreted as the location of the thing, as the later one arriving a few ms behind is interpreted as an echo. Might be better to put the outputs through two amps set differently, to make it less likely to be interpreted as an echo....

I did an ADT sim last year sometime. Used the LFO to de-regularize the sweep of a through-zero flanger with zero feedback. Worked pretty well, but again, would likely work better before two amps than after one....

The Haas pan effect. The changes in panning are a psychoacoustic side-effect of the variable doubling delay time switching around the static one. The two tracks are panned hard left and hard right. The one that arrives at your ears first is interpreted as the location of the thing, as the later one arriving a few ms behind is interpreted as an echo. Might be better to put the outputs through two amps set differently, to make it less likely to be interpreted as an echo....
Yeah, I figured it was Haas.

I didn't hear anything that sounded like an echo, but again, nothing that reminded me of double-tracking either. I'll check out this second track when I get a chance.

I did an ADT sim last year sometime. Used the LFO to de-regularize the sweep of a through-zero flanger with zero feedback. Worked pretty well, but again, would likely work better before two amps than after one....
That's right, it's just a through-zero flanger. The key to get that vintage vibe is the right kind of randomness for the tape speed. Unfortunately, the Axe-FX doesn't really have a good LFO for that. You can put a LP filter on a random LFO, but that's not as good as a proper continuous-slope random LFO.

That's right, it's just a through-zero flanger. The key to get that vintage vibe is the right kind of randomness for the tape speed. Unfortunately, the Axe-FX doesn't really have a good LFO for that. You can put a LP filter on a random LFO, but that's not as good as a proper continuous-slope random LFO.
At the time, we had a nifty LFO wave display that Cliff had just added. With some judicious poking at speed and depth in the flanger from the LFOs, I managed to get some fairly unpredictable flange action.... I'll have to dig up the preset and take another look at it....

The key is to do waveshaping on one side. For example, use different amps left and right. But...these days, mono summing isn't as important as it used to be. In a live setting you probably wouldn't use a stereo preset if the audience is hearing mono. For recorded music, even phones have stereo speakers these days and that's enough separation to avoid comb filtering.
Different amps and cabs on each side help, but they don't eliminate the problem. Just my opinion, but I think mono compatibility is still important and will always be. A good mix will never suffer when collapsed to mono.

+1

the mimiq sounds great so while not necessarily just mimic mimiq, lets at least acknowledge a great idea and have a "drunk" knob!

I have Mimiq and I think what it's doing well is the randomness of delay'd 2nd voice. Though it can do up to 3 voices with stereo in/out for a kind of chorusy thing, I just use it mono w 1 voice on one side only @100% wet to get that randomized variation on one side which I think is all the enhancer would need/need more of, to make it great (the tightness control on Mimiq controls how random and how far the generated voice will vary from the dry). I normally run it after the amp block but I think it sounds slightly better running it as described above into one side of hard panned dual amp blocks to most realistically "mimiq" a 2nd guitar player playing through a separate amp and his her level of accuracy (drunkenness) determined by the tightness control and with the 2nd amp responding differently to that than the "unmimiq'd" amp on the other side.

I'd love the G System doubler / Mimiq.

Only thing I found with my Mimiq is that it brightens up the top end and loses some of the lows. I'm sure FAS can create something better

Fingers crossed 🤞

Back
Top Bottom