Don't hesitate, they were right - RCF NX 12SMA

What would be the normal dispersion cone angle of a 1x12 cab loaded with an average guitar speaker?
Is the 60 degree thing better or worse than a guitar cab?
That's an excellent question that I've never seen addressed: How does the NX12's pattern compare to a "regular" guitar cab?

I've never heard the NX myself, so I can only go by what I know of guitar cabs: their coverage pattern is wickedly uneven. And the more drivers in the cab, the lumpier the off-axis response gets. Right in front of one, the sound is piercingly bright. As you move to the side, the highs drop off steadily. For many cabs, the coverage pattern is way more lumpy and frequency-dependent. No way does a guitar cab have constant response across anything like the NX's 60°.

A lot of its backline usability would depend on how quiet it gets off-axis. Maybe someone who's experienced both can chime in with a coverage comparison.

Last edited:
Hi,

there were some discussions about the good response and tube feeling that the matrix poweramps provide. How about the feeling provided by the rcf poweramp integrated in the sma?

cheers
PillAnselmo

Hi,

there were some discussions about the good response and tube feeling that the matrix poweramps provide. How about the feeling provided by the rcf poweramp integrated in the sma?

cheers
PillAnselmo
So far I have not been disspointed. I have added a compressor to my lead patches as the RCf feel s little stiff to me but that could just be while the speaker is breakin in.
with a compressor on (soft) it added a little more 'give" and 'bounce" and feels even more tube like (to me anyway )
I'm having a blst with this thing, just learned how to play Seventten by Winger today
dont' ask me why I'm bored LOL! but my JM patch sounded so good for some hair metal I couldn't resist.

I continue to be incredibly impressed by the RCF, I like guitar cabs with my Axe 2 but this RCF is really amazing, I find it punchy and articulate and it has a ton of headroom... if FRFR has never been your thing, this might be your game changer, it certainly is mine... just with the stock cabs on the Axe 2 for now and wow... I'm extremely happy, not EQ'ing much

FWIW, Mike at Audiopyle is great to deal with and he gives TGP/Fractal discounts

This RCF should be required listening to show the potential of the Axe 2... I'm sure there are other great alternatives out there, but for me using FRFR, this is the rig I thought the Axe could one day become... if you had two of them?? it'd be insane

I continue to be incredibly impressed by the RCF, I like guitar cabs with my Axe 2 but this RCF is really amazing, I find it punchy and articulate and it has a ton of headroom... if FRFR has never been your thing, this might be your game changer, it certainly is mine... just with the stock cabs on the Axe 2 for now and wow... I'm extremely happy, not EQ'ing much

FWIW, Mike at Audiopyle is great to deal with and he gives TGP/Fractal discounts

This RCF should be required listening to show the potential of the Axe 2... I'm sure there are other great alternatives out there, but for me using FRFR, this is the rig I thought the Axe could one day become... if you had two of them?? it'd be insane

I completely agree :)
I had tried a couple of other FRFR options and didn't like what I heard, too "PA" sounding so I always went back to my power amp ->real cabs
Until this arrived at my house. Total game changer and yes 2 would be insane.
2 would probably give a more 4X12 type of feeling though especially if you could figure out a way to stack them.
I would think it would give a wider dispersion

I have two. I mostly play only one at gigs, but when I play both (one in front of me, one behind, both angled towards me) it sounds like a wall of 4x12" cabs. :)

That's an excellent question that I've never seen addressed: How does the NX12's pattern compare to a "regular" guitar cab?

I've never heard the NX myself, so I can only go by what I know of guitar cabs: their coverage pattern is wickedly uneven. And the more drivers in the cab, the lumpier the off-axis response gets. Right in front of one, the sound is piercingly bright. As you move to the side, the highs drop off steadily. For many cabs, the coverage pattern is way more lumpy and frequency-dependent. No way does a guitar cab have constant response across anything like the NX's 60°.

A lot of its backline usability would depend on how quiet it gets off-axis. Maybe someone who's experienced both can chime in with a coverage comparison.

I asked Jay on the tgp forum and his reply relating to a normal speaker coverage was:

"The "coverage" of a single direct-radiating cone speaker operating full range varies tremendously with frequency. A 12" speaker in a typical-sized cabinet will have a coverage angle of 120 degrees (total, 60 degrees left or right of axis) or more at 500 Hz, and that angle will drop to labout 30 degrees by 4.5kHz. This huge variation in radiation pattern with frequency means that the guitar's tone will vary widely depending on listening position, and that a lot of energy will be indiscriminately sprayed onto room surfaces, potentially creating problems with clarity and articulation."

---------------

Probably better to read the whole post in context - The Gear Page - View Single Post - Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell!!!

Thanks, maxdown. That's part of what I was looking for.

I'm also looking for the other part of the NX12-vs-"real"-cab-as-backline equation: Does the NX12 have more or less SPL drop-off (at the sides) compared to a physical guitar cab?

***UPDATE***

After spending tons of time playing loudly at home this weekend, I was able to tweak some of my patches in time for a rehearsal I just got back from. Here is how it went:

INCREDIBLE! For playing at home, I set the RCF on it's side (floor monitor mode). At rehearsal I thought I would try it on it's side and see how/if everyone could hear it. I got really good responses from everyone in the room that it sounded great and was definitely loud enough. Pretty sure I had it a little above/below half volume if that gives you a good idea of its capabilities. We were playing with a bass player, another guitar player and a drummer.

I should also mention how little work I am having to do in hauling my equipment to and from. While I have more small things to carry, my load is light in my car. Having good carrying cases for everything makes it much easier and prevents dings and scratches on my MFC, my microkorg XL and my Axe II. I have to show up a little earlier to get things set up, but its well worth it. My whole rig is very "plug in and play" simple now.

The practice went smooth as eggs - we were preparing for a show on Friday. At this show, we will basically be using all of the same PA equipment at rehearsal so I expect to be completely comfortable AND people will be able to hear all my hard-work in my patches. I am VERY EXCITED to finally rock out and sound exactly how I want to. Living the dream. I'll post again after Friday.

Hope everyone had an equally wonderful weekend as I did,
Cheers

I bought 2 RCf nx-12 sma's. My application is a duo (keys, Axe-FX2, vocals) and MIDI drums and bass, in a coffeehouse setting. Had the first rehearsal last week with the RCF's and they were fantastic. The whole "band" sounded clear and the guitars were fantastic. Very smooth on the high end and upper midrange, without a trace of the "horn shrillness" I hate. I was using ver 7 firmaware and I hadn't adjusted anything yet for the RCF's. Bass was good and present. Very satisfied.

I am several months in on the RCF now, and still impressed. This weekend was a large ballroom indoors Friday, followed by an outdoor beach party type gig at Galveston's Moody Gardens... in other words two gigs that are worlds apart audio-wise. The ballroom gig had a terrible slap-echo thing happening off the rear wall... touch the NX upwards a notch (bumped Axe II volume a tad) and all was well. I had the monitor on it's end, on top of a amp case the second day and (totally unchanged from previous night) it sounded awesome, especially on the Plexi tones. Really nice and open, like a Marshall into a greenback cab. It was inspiring to play with that kind of sound.

On the dispersion pattern, I am no expert like Jay, but I really, really like it. The tight dispersion pattern is something I make use of in my playing. Sometimes, such as while singing, it's helpful to have some direct volume so you can still hear both the vocal and guitar monitor. For this reason I have the monitor squarely centered on my mic position. But sometimes it helps to be able to blend what you hear with the other musicians and the house PA, and it is so nice to be able to step one way or another and literally control your hearing of the cabinet. I hear it wherever I am, but can hear more of less of it by moving around. This also works for intentional feedback.

I do wish I could afford a second one, but need to pay off a few things before making the purchase. On some stages I would like to just add more of a good thing. The combination of the Axe II and the RCF NX12SMA is providing the best overall sound I've ever had, with the most control. I love raging 4x12 cabs, but it just doesn't work in my real world. Being able to get those sounds while controlling onstage volume is gold, just pure gold.

Thanks to Scott Peterson, Merlin17, and Mike Pyle for moving me in this direction. No hocus pocus, just a solid speaker doing a great job for me.

Thanks to Scott Peterson, Merlin17, and Mike Pyle for moving me in this direction. No hocus pocus, just a solid speaker doing a great job for me.

I second this thought.
Mike Pyle went above and beyond for me as well as giving the best price on one of these (by far over any other source i checked) and I really appreciate it.
I've been barraging Scott with pm's asking "tweak" questions and he has been so kind as to take the time to anser everyone of them.
this set up really can kick some serious ass.

Slightly off-topic guys.....but does anyone know if a 115v NX12SMA can be converted easily to 230v ??? I'd heard it was an internal mod of some sort? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom