AFIII Dokken : Tooth And Nail (help with Lynch sound)

fractalz

Power User
I'm prepping to audition for a Dokken Tribute band (takes me back to my formative years!) and could use some feedback on the sound I'm getting.

I started with the "Brit 800" patch and tweaked from there. My take on his signature is a roomy sound with a slight chorus. I'm not really hearing the "valvey" sound that he gets though... Patch attached.

I always say "no excuses" but I'll preface the video by saying it's been about 20 years since I did tapping like this :)

Attachments

• Lynch 01.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
For Lynch I would use a Plexi or an SLO
Use the screamer to boost it
Use the tape 70s preamp in the cab block
Use greenbacks IRS
He has a LOT more delay and verb on his tones

If you just wanted a pre made preset try Rocco presets on axe change also there are a few more recent ones as well that nail it

I'm prepping to audition for a Dokken Tribute band (takes me back to my formative years!) and could use some feedback on the sound I'm getting.

I started with the "Brit 800" patch and tweaked from there. My take on his signature is a roomy sound with a slight chorus. I'm not really hearing the "valvey" sound that he gets though... Patch attached.

I always say "no excuses" but I'll preface the video by saying it's been about 20 years since I did tapping like this :)

watch this video and download the preset

watch this video and download the preset

The "Brit 800" patch seemed to nail the thin 80's tone as people thought it was an iPhone recording :( Those Lynchback IRs are a bit thin...

This video is a good late Lynch tone. I'm going for the "Tooth and Nail" sound, in particular, the chorus of "Into the Fire".

I'm working with the Solo 88 Rhy and I'm getting a better sound. Will keep at it...

I made this one up real quick sorta based on what I use. Let me know if it works at all.
I tried 2 different cabs: 4x12s Brit 70s GB 57 F or 4 x 12 Brit BB 57 ML

Attachments

• T&N-ish.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 16
George’s tone is brighter than what you are using IMO. Remember he was an 80s era guitarist he was not using a “modern” tone. Try more presence and possibly more mids. Perhaps pull back a bit on the bass. After getting you EQ in the ballpark try a bit more gain or a drive pedal. When you hit the pinch harmonics on the wound strings it should be chomping at the bit to wail out that harmonic.

Notice on night walkers vid when he hits that pinch harmonic, the harmonic blooms and screams at you. If you want a Lynch sound, you have to replicate that.

I have always thought of George’s sound as a variation of the VH brown sound, with a bit more brightness and different effects.

Back
Top Bottom