Doing everything right, still half-second dropouts with scene changes only sometimes [NOT A BUG]

I need your help friends. My Axe II XL let me down last night on stage and I have a deep sadness and feeling of betrayal by the one object I love more than anything. (sad face)

Before you chastise me for something that is a "known issue", let me tell you that I did my research to avoid the dreaded dropout. I'm not changing amp types or even the settings on the amp (Dizzy V4 Blue 4), not switching X/Y ever, definitely not trying to change presets during a song. My CPU usage is low, my cat 5 cable is good, my MFC (MK3) is nearly brand new and I'm not using USB at the same time.

On Quantum 2.04.
Midi Channel = Omni
Scene Revert = On
Ignore Redundant PC = On
Midi PC Offset = 0
Send Realtime Sysex = All

Running channel 2 out (via FXLoop) to a Mesa Dual Rectifier (bypassing the pre) for stage volume and feedback. (yes, it sounds killer)

All I'm trying to do is switch within scenes that add or remove boost (via filter block +4db) or delay+reverb or delay+reverb+multi-delay, or turn off the drive or turn on volume pedal cut to get a crunch tone... What I would consider basic stuff.

Last night I got the dropouts on stage and then took it home, plugged it in. Got dropouts for a few minutes then went to absolutely smooth switching.

Also I don't drink when I play. Sober AF, just in case you're wondering.
Is that enough info? Here's images of my patch. I can send you a blood sample if that will help.

Can anybody please? Thanks for reading.

midi 1.JPG midi 2.JPG scene 5.png scene 4.png scene 3.png scene 2.png scene 1.png

Update: Currently I'm switching smooth as butter regardless of midi channel but I'll leave it on 1 for a couple days and see if the dropouts come back. The absolute worst part of this problem is the unpredictability. If I get dropouts on stage again, I have no choice but to go back to my tube amp and big stupid pedalboard.

yeah, having midi channel set to omni was my first guess as well

btw - do you have the delay blocks in parallel set to 100% mix and bypass mode set to "mute fx in"?. not related to your problem, but just thought i'd mention it.

these kind of intermittent problems are an absolute bitch to fix. test, test and do more testing before the next gig and hope for the best!

btw - do you have the delay blocks in parallel set to 100% mix and bypass mode set to "mute fx in"?. not related to your problem, but just thought i'd mention it.

Simeon, can you explain this? Its a pretty common setting that i use. Does this cause problems? How to fix it?

yeah, having midi channel set to omni was my first guess as well

these kind of intermittent problems are an absolute bitch to fix. test, test and do more testing before the next gig and hope for the best!

Yea, midi channel change was easy. So far its working file. Fingers crossed. My delay blocks are set as described.

The MFC sends information to all 16 MIDI channels. If the Axe is set to OMNI it receives all 16 messages (or as many as it can that quickly). So the "delay" you experience is the Axe getting channel 1 data... Then eventually getting ch 16 data making it switch multiple times very quickly. (That's a rough description and kinda wrong, but something like that.). I see some on Facebook concur with the solution.

The MFC sends information to all 16 MIDI channels. If the Axe is set to OMNI it receives all 16 messages (or as many as it can that quickly). So the "delay" you experience is the Axe getting channel 1 data... Then eventually getting ch 16 data making it switch multiple times very quickly. (That's a rough description and kinda wrong, but something like that.). I see some on Facebook concur with the solution.

Makes perfect sense. I got in the habit of using Omni on other rigs as a work around making some newer TC gear work with older Roland gear.

Actually, I thought about it. If the Axe midi channel is set to OMNI, that means it's LISTENING to all channels... right? So, do I need to set the MFC to send only on one channel?

Actually, I thought about it. If the Axe midi channel is set to OMNI, that means it's LISTENING to all channels... right? So, do I need to set the MFC to send only on one channel?
you can do that too. i still would advise setting the Axe to a specific channel. you're asking for the same problem again down the road if you ever add anything that happens to send MIDI.

the MFC is a bit more complicated to set it to just one channel, as per preset, it sends on all channels. there is a thread i started a while ago about this, and a solution was posted.

you can do that too. i still would advise setting the Axe to a specific channel. you're asking for the same problem again down the road if you ever add anything that happens to send MIDI.

the MFC is a bit more complicated to set it to just one channel, as per preset, it sends on all channels. there is a thread i started a while ago about this, and a solution was posted.

Thanks, I read one of your earlier posts where you figured that out. Sounds annoying so I'll just keep the Axe on channel 1 for now.

Back
Top Bottom