Does this firmware really sound good

Thomas Larsson

Experienced
I tried my AXE-II in a solidstate poweramp with a mesa 4-12 today. I turned of the speaker modelling. Then I started trying a couple of sounds .
After I while I felt that something wasn´t sounding right. If I increased the mastervolume the sound got sharper and sharper (very unpleasant in fact) . When I sold my Ultra
with FW11 It sounded awesome . This doesn´t really. Can anyone trys this to ? Take , for example a JCM800 and crank the master and listen to have thin and
sharp the sound gets . Isn´t it supposed to sound warmer when you cranc It ? I get more warmt when I turn down the master.
I notised this strange behaviar first when I ran it through a poweramp and guitarcab without the cab-sims. It seems to sound pretty good to tape with cab-sims activated though.

Ok ! I think I´ve tried that allready . It´s just that the motordrive is not active in this way (no cab block) .
The thing is that all bottom dissapears when I cranc the master . The treble (or Hi mid) increases and gets really sharp..
Remember I´m not using cab block cause the axe is now feeding a real 4-12.

Try messing with the transformer matching. I'm not really up to speed on going without cab sims so I'm just trying to use my warped sense of logic here. Either way it's a great parameter, but use it in moderation; one click either way makes a huge difference IMHO.

Ok ! I think I´ve tried that allready . It´s just that the motordrive is not active in this way (no cab block) .
The thing is that all bottom dissapears when I cranc the master . The treble (or Hi mid) increases and gets really sharp..
Remember I´m not using cab block cause the axe is now feeding a real 4-12.
My apologizes for that.

No, it shouldn't act like that...as far as I know the Axe at least (a couple of days). Sure you didn't overload the input of your SS power amp?

What is your amp level at? What is your output knob at? Assuming all other level controls (global and layout last page) are at default.

Hi Thomas.
Could you please post the preset. That would help diagnose what the issue might be. Increasing the Master should not thin out the sound at all. So post the preset and we can check it out and see what the issue is.

I only tried some fw4 presets through the GT800FX into two Boogie 90w 1X12 Celestion Black Shadow(?) cabs (AFX cabs disabled).
It sounded so bad I didn't even bother to start from scratch (I know that's wrong, but still...).
All the pure magic through the Atomics was gone and I didn't even get more push out of the real cabs.
Reading this just makes me wonder if there is some relation...

Is poweramp simul. on or off?

That's actually funny ! Yes poweramp sims are on. And I,ve tried all parameters in
the amp block , even transformer matching. This time it feeels like
the equations of the powerblock can't be right. Maybe I should try an
empty patch with just an amp block. My Ultra , wich I unfortunatly sold
Became warmer and warmer when I cranced the master. Pleaae observe that I
do not use cab block for this test since I'm going to a guitar rig
With a ss-power amp ( no controls) . Theres no clipping anywhere either. I
Tried several patches and they seem to act like this.

What is your amp level at? What is your output knob at? Assuming all other level controls (global and layout last page) are at default.

My amp levels and output levels are at different positions from time to time during the test . However no clipping is going on anywhere.
I ´m sure those levels isn´t supposed to affect the sound at all unless they cause clipping.
I´ve tried several patches and the act the same. I think they should get warmer and warmer as you crank the master. I was hoping somebody
could hook it up this way an see if they have the same behavior. I bet they do since most of us have the same firmware.
I tried this chain AXE-II --------ALESIS power-amp -----------------MESA-4-12 V30´s (no cab sims -but powerampsims on ,of course)

Well , you know . I live in Sweden and were probably sleeping when you asked me. I´m sorry about that. It will probably happen again . Now it´s 9 in the morning here and I don´t know if you are asleep

I love how people ask for help and we ask questions to help and they don't answer them.

Yeah ! I makes a differens for sure . But I still think that should be pretty god at default. The poweramp-sim still behaves in a weird way. there´s no warmth at all in it. For example I compared the TX-drive with my lonestar
wich is supposed to be the same . My lonestar sounded big and warm with lots of bass The axe sounded thin and wimpy with no bass and warmth nomatter how any controll was set.

It just doesn´t sound right.

Try messing with the transformer matching. I'm not really up to speed on going without cab sims so I'm just trying to use my warped sense of logic here. Either way it's a great parameter, but use it in moderation; one click either way makes a huge difference IMHO.

Have you tried turning on the Boost of the amp. Also try the presence feature with the boost on.
I think Scott and many others are way more qualified than me on this issue. I got my II yesterday and I don't regret selling the Ultra.I think something is missing here there has to be.
Because some of the new features are quiet different from an Ultra. Try your axe edit and see all the options available and tweak some of the newer things that you didn't see with the Ultra.
Maybe that should help as well.
Hope you get it to sound good because trust me man once you do you'll be smiling the whole day :D.

Well , you know . I live in Sweden and were probably sleeping when you asked me. I´m sorry about that. It will probably happen again . Now it´s 9 in the morning here and I don´t know if you are asleep.

Oh I was just kidding. I think we are 12 hours apart.

Back
Top Bottom