Does the mixer matter? Do all mixer produce the same sound quality?

I think you have too much power in that small space. Just a little bit would make it very loud.

I also think that such a small space will have big problems with reflected sound. There will be feedback, and the room itself will strongly EQ your sound.

And where can you fit a drummer in there? :)

Yeah, that figures. Maybe we should try to get a bigger rehearsel space then. :p

Thank you for your input, and i'm sorry if it sounded like i'm blaming the equipment, i'm trying to learn and i'm unsure where the problems stems from.
We are protecting our ear with earplugs. I would like to turn down the volume as well but the thing is, we are creating backingtracks (drums and keyboards) and we wanted to mix and listen to the sounds through the PA that we are using. We tried to turn down the volume aswell but the thing is, it changes the sound. And the relation between the speakers and sub changes aswell.

What would you say is the best move considering the situation?

The same: turn down the volume, and earplugs won't be necessary.
It's totally ridiculous to have to wear earplugs because you make the sound so loud, and cause feedback.

As for the tonal differences, caused by low/high volume:

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Audio_topics#Fletcher-Munson_curve

The sound in that tiny room is false at any volume. If you must use that space, then turn down the volume until the feedback is controlled. Then the sound will be a little bit less false.

The same: turn down the volume, and earplugs won't be necessary.
It's totally ridiculous to have to wear earplugs because you make the sound so loud, and cause feedback.

As for the tonal differences, caused by low/high volume:

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Audio_topics#Fletcher-Munson_curve

Wow that link was solid f**king gold. Thank you so much for that! So i will turn down the volume and mix with that in mind. Then we can turn it up and check the backing track is sounding right without the vocals on it and if it does, go back to the lower more controled volume.

Reactions: yek
The sound in that tiny room is false at any volume. If you must use that space, then turn down the volume until the feedback is controlled. Then the sound will be a little bit less false.

Hmm i see, thank you :)! So we don't get feedback from the backingtrack itself, do you think it's okay to test the backingtrack (with full volume) with guitar and bass without the vocals to see if it sounds all right. Or will that also be false and therefore meaningless? Will it translate properly to the stage and if not, should we just mix at lower levels and hope that it translates good when we play live? :)

If you're trying to balance the instruments and vocals to blend well, you can do that at any volume that's loud enough to hear detail. That's why studio engineers can mix at between 80 and 90 dB SPL and come up with a recording that will still sound good when played at gig volume.

But that little room won't translate well to the venue. If you dial it in to sound right in that room, you'll need to re-EQ your overall mix when you play in a larger space.

If you're trying to balance the instruments and vocals to blend well, you can do that at any volume that's loud enough to hear detail. That's why studio engineers can mix at between 80 and 90 dB SPL and come up with a recording that will still sound good when played at gig volume.

But that little room won't translate well to the venue. If you dial it in to sound right in that room, you'll need to re-EQ your overall mix when you play in a larger space.

Hmn it's more difficult do this than i hoped for. I guess we have to mix it in that little room and then we will try it in a bigger venue and try to hear what needs changing.
I should be able to get kind off close to the final mix though? I mean it can't be like a day and night difference. Right? :persevere:

How would you do it in a situation like this?

Facing open microphones into a reflective corner is not going to allow for much gain before feedback.

Try setting the gain knobs at the top of each channel input of the yamaha fairly low, below half way. Then use the master level / amplifier to get the desired volume. You might have to crank the master level and or channel levels higher than before.

Using low input gain reduces mic sensitivity and helps prevent feedback.

I should be able to get kind off close to the final mix though? I mean it can't be like a day and night difference. Right? :persevere:

How would you do it in a situation like this?
You might be able to get the mix fairly close, but no guarantees. And your overall EQ could be way off.

That's why there's sound check. :)

You might be able to get the mix fairly close, but no guarantees. And your overall EQ could be way off.

That's why there's sound check. :)

Yeah i guess i just have to try it. It will surely be an on going project for this year. I would like to thank everyone in this thread for all the helpfull tips and insight that you have given me. Thank you :)!!!

Yeah i guess i just have to try it. It will surely be an on going project for this year. I would like to thank everyone in this thread for all the helpfull tips and insight that you have given me. Thank you :)!!!
Keep us posted on how it goes.

I'll put it bluntly:

If you guys play so loud that the mics cause uncontrollable feedback, in such a small room, you are all crazy and you're ruining your ears for the rest of your lives. Don't blame the equipment, don't buy (terrible) feedback destroyers, don't justify this stupid behavior. The solution is easy: dial back that volume. If not, you'll all soon have a ring in your ears that won't ever go away.
Yek is absolutely right. I speak from experience. Too many years of not being careful with the band volume and I now have tinnitus that never leaves. I've learned to live with it but be smart and DO protect your hearing!

I'll put it bluntly:

If you guys play so loud that the mics cause uncontrollable feedback, in such a small room, you are all crazy and you're ruining your ears for the rest of your lives. Don't blame the equipment, don't buy (terrible) feedback destroyers, don't justify this stupid behavior. The solution is easy: dial back that volume. If not, you'll all soon have a ring in your ears that won't ever go away.

This x 1,000,000. Always. Turn down, protect your hearing. Thank you, Yek.

Back
Top Bottom