Does the III reproduce the full bottom end of a tube amp?

With both the III and Ax8, I do feel like there is something different in the low mids and bottom end running Frfr compared to traditional cab setups. It doesn’t seem like a matter of more or less, but an envelope to the bottom end that is much shorter overall with cabs versus frfr. E.g. a cabinet thumps, but that low end disapates relatively quickly, where as the low end lingers with frfr systems making for a sustained rumble when trying approximate that thump. I often see the “lingering” in meters when trying to set levels, where the low frequencies can cause the level to climb 4+ dB. Is this something addressable in the speaker resonance, or is it a function of the relatively short window of IRs?

Now I’m accustomed to carving out the bottom (as happens at FOH or in the studio), though i think it contributes to part of the “I don’t hear the guitar” comments from bandmates. But that’s tangential to this thread...

Joe

Never noticed any difference in the lows when using the Axe with a Mesa 2/90 tube power amp, vs my old all tube amp setup. If my understanding is correct, because tube amps have lower damping, it causes the speaker to be looser in its excursion, which gives the impression of moving more air than with a solid state amp, which have much higher damping and controls the speaker excursion much more precisely. The difference between my tube and my Matrix SS amps is the Matrix has much more graduated and tight bass response than the 2/90's. But the Matrix sounds a bit less loud with 6 times (!) the wattage. The Matrix also has much better overall clarity over the whole frequency range, you just need a lot more watts to get the same perceived volume as a high powered tube amp...

Last edited:
Dayum!!! Gotta be sweet... One set of my PA mains are SRX835P's... Talk about a smokin' hot sound from Axe FX III and Helix...
Very sweet :)
It's been winter here is Australia with no outdoor shows, so I figured why not set up the 828 in my garage while it's not being used for a few months.
I also have 2 * 818sp's which is more than enough for indoor shows we do.

835's look great, but I'd hate to move them around every gig. We played acoustic last night - 835's would be massive overkill, but 812's were awesome! But I'd be more than happy to use 835's if you were setting them up for me ;)

Very sweet :)
It's been winter here is Australia with no outdoor shows, so I figured why not set up the 828 in my garage while it's not being used for a few months.
I also have 2 * 818sp's which is more than enough for indoor shows we do.

835's look great, but I'd hate to move them around every gig. We played acoustic last night - 835's would be massive overkill, but 812's were awesome! But I'd be more than happy to use 835's if you were setting them up for me ;)

LoL... They're easier to move around than you think...

Aside from the specs...

What would the differences between one of these JBL and the ASM12? This is the first I saw mention of these SRX835P units in all the diff FRFR threads I read while deciding what to buy.

Aside from the specs...

What would the differences between one of these JBL and the ASM12? This is the first I saw mention of these SRX835P units in all the diff FRFR threads I read while deciding what to buy.
This is a PA speaker... And street price seems about $1600.

For that kind of money, you get almost get 2 Xitone active cabs or for $600 less you could get a CLR. Both of which will sound better (based on my experience reading on the forum) than the ASM.

There are tons of PA cabs out there. You don't typically see them recommended because they are not typically used with the Axe Fx.

The previous poster is playing through them since he already owns them as part of his PA system.

This is a PA speaker... And street price seems about $1600.

For that kind of money, you get almost get 2 Xitone active cabs or for $600 less you could get a CLR. Both of which will sound better (based on my experience reading on the forum) than the ASM.

There are tons of PA cabs out there. You don't typically see them recommended because they are not typically used with the Axe Fx.

The previous poster is playing through them since he already owns them as part of his PA system.
Got Ya. Thx.

Aside from the specs...

Yeah, that's my mains, not my FRFR... LoL!

Back
Top Bottom