Does the AX8 have an Ebow and Slide Ring effect?

dsouza

Experienced
Any idea how I can pull off an Ebow effect on the AX8 instead of buying an Ebow?

Also it would be interesting if a SLIDE effect also exists instead of buying slide rings.

I mean we have effects for Whammy and Wah Wah so why not these?

Having said that if there is no way to program these in presets then buying an Ebow and Slide ring are the only answer.

Last edited:
What exactly do you mean when saying you're trying to simulate a slide ? The move of the slide itself generates a sound that you cannot replicate with any effect. The sound of the increased pitch could be approximated by a pitch block type whammy or advanced whammy and attaching a pedal or an slow triangle LFO (started by a control switch) to the pitch modifier.

It would be very difficult to recreate the physical effect the eBow has on the strings...
@unix-guy

Have you heard of the Edge's Fernandez Sustainer guitar? Also known as the infinite guitar? He uses a fernandes sustainer guitar to play WOWY not an ebow live. The effect that need be created is simply to replicate this sustainer not necessarily an ebow. It is the sound of an infinite guitar violin.

It's also possible to get an old strat and mod it with these type of PU's, however, the whole point of the FAS is to find a way to do it through effect or amp blocks. :)

Last edited:
Have you heard of the Edge's Fernandez Sustainer guitar? Also known as the infinite guitar? He uses a fernandes sustainer guitar to play WOWY not an ebow live. The effect that need be created is simply to replicate this sustainer not necessarily an ebow. It is the sound of an infinite guitar violin.
But you asked about an eBow ;)

However, a Sustainer also physically affects the strings... But unlike an eBow, the pickup doesn't move closer/farther to the pickups or change angles, etc.

So probably easier to get closer to the Sustainer.

I own an ebow and there are just too many nuances to try and approximate that sound. I'd say it's worth spending $50 to $75 to purchase one.

I own an ebow and there are just too many nuances to try and approximate that sound. I'd say it's worth spending $50 to $75 to purchase one.
@fcs101

I found it harder to play an actual EBow Plus on the AX8 than on an traditonal AMP/Pedals setup.

Did you notice this? I was wondering how the AX8 takes the ebow? Any problems on your end?

This is why I returned the EBOW last year.

@fcs101

I found it harder to play an actual EBow Plus on the AX8 than on an traditonal AMP/Pedals setup.

Did you notice this? I was wondering how the AX8 takes the ebow? Any problems on your end?

This is why I returned the EBOW last year.
It definitely takes practice. You can't just pick it up and expect to get the desired effect. I recall being initially discouraged, but then I'd go and watch someone like Phil Keaggy play it and figured I just needed to stick with it. In my estimation the ebow is almost an instrument itself because you really have to practice with it.

I should say that I'm not an AX8 user (I use the FM3). I just saw the ebow reference and so was drawn to the thread. That said, I've only ever used modelers and never a traditional pedal board. I would also add that I favor not using many effects with an ebow (compression is almost mandatory...especially for a novice).

Curious as to why it might be more difficult with a modeler as opposed to a pedal board though.

It definitely takes practice. You can't just pick it up and expect to get the desired effect. I recall being initially discouraged, but then I'd go and watch someone like Phil Keaggy play it and figured I just needed to stick with it. In my estimation the ebow is almost an instrument itself because you really have to practice with it.

I should say that I'm not an AX8 user (I use the FM3). I just saw the ebow reference and so was drawn to the thread. That said, I've only ever used modelers and never a traditional pedal board. I would also add that I favor not using many effects with an ebow (compression is almost mandatory...especially for a novice).

Curious as to why it might be more difficult with a modeler as opposed to a pedal board though.
@fcs101

I got a clear signal when I used my ebow with my AC10 and pedals but with the AX8 the signal would die out easily.

I already had a good amount of practice with the ebow in the past.

In any case carrying around an ebow to a gig and using it, putting it down, using it etc can be a pain especially in the same song so the ebow effect should be a nice replacement in that @fremen guys preset pack. If only it had a a slide ring and virtual CAPO placement it would be a godsend to any gigger's dream.

How about a CAPO effect? Where you can set a CAPO block to any fret position and change the sound? Any such effect, stock or custom, in the AX8 ?

The AX8 has a pitch block to approximate a capo (fixed pitch), but is suffers a noticeable latency (the AX8 is slow) and it would kill all natural feedback.

@fcs101

I got a clear signal when I used my ebow with my AC10 and pedals but with the AX8 the signal would die out easily.
This is something that should be able to be remedied.

I was unaware that Fremen had built an ebow preset. I'm guessing it's probably more of a "slow attack" sort of thing though. I'm not sure how you'd replicate all the things you can do with the actual ebow.

This is something that should be able to be remedied.

I was unaware that Fremen had built an ebow preset. I'm guessing it's probably more of a "slow attack" sort of thing though. I'm not sure how you'd replicate all the things you can do with the actual ebow.
He's using a multi delay block type band delay changing the input gain and master feedback via an external controller to generate what sounds like an endless sustain. The modifier curves are pretty advanced stuff, I have to admit.

One could try using the looper block to achieve the same. In essence it's capturing a sound sample and keep replaying it until stopped.

Back
Top Bottom