U2 "With or Without You" string/synth sound

Zach Haley

I was curious if anyone in the Axe Fx3 universe has been able to create a string/synth-like sound that could be used for the main verse parts that Edge uses for the U2 song "With Or Without" you. I have been using an old ebow, but now that I have this amazing Axe Fx3.... I am really hoping to figure out a way to no longer use the ebow.

I was curious if anyone in the Axe Fx3 universe has been able to create a string/synth-like sound that could be used for the main verse parts that Edge uses for the U2 song "With Or Without" you. I have been using an old ebow, but now that I have this amazing Axe Fx3.... I am really hoping to figure out a way to no longer use the ebow.
It's a very difficult task, because the eBow or the sustainer is basically vibrating the string, creating that sustained note, until you re-fret. Obviously, the AXE can't do that. And there isn't really a good effect that can infinitely sustain a note, but only up to the moment that you change notes, in the way that the Ebow or sustainer does in this song.
Edge uses the AXE, as do many of us trying to copy him, and if he and his people haven't found a good way to do it accurately, I don't know that it exists.

It's a very difficult task, because the eBow or the sustainer is basically vibrating the string, creating that sustained note, until you re-fret. Obviously, the AXE can't do that. And there isn't really a good effect that can infinitely sustain a note, but only up to the moment that you change notes, in the way that the Ebow or sustainer does in this song.
Edge uses the AXE, as do many of us trying to copy him, and if he and his people haven't found a good way to do it accurately, I don't know that it exists.
Thank you! That is a great point!

Check out the presets for Vertigo and Streets. A few guys have used the synth block to create the intro parts. For WOWY, you could change the the synth pitch\frequency with a foot switch or exp pedal. I would think you might be better off using the feedback type preset for those parts. The feedback preset uses a compressor and pitch block to simulate feedback.

Check out the presets for Vertigo and Streets. A few guys have used the synth block to create the intro parts. For WOWY, you could change the the synth pitch\frequency with a foot switch or exp pedal. I would think you might be better off using the feedback type preset for those parts. The feedback preset uses a compressor and pitch block to simulate feedback.
Great call! I will definitely look into that!

Here's an experience I made back in the day with an Axe-Fx II

and another one

it's possible to achieve what you want with shimmer and using an "infinite feedback" trick. I have one preset for that. It's not the same/doesn't sound the same as using an e-bow but it does the job

and another one

it's possible to achieve what you want with shimmer and using an "infinite feedback" trick. I have one preset for that. It's not the same/doesn't sound the same as using an e-bow but it does the job

Which preset do mean Thibault ...?? In which Pack ?

It's named "E-BOW" and is in "Fremen's picks". You need to use an expression pedal : play a note, sustain it and depress the exp pedal, then it will sustain forever
Thanks Thibault , did not remember this one .... will try it
Why haven t you finalized it , I ve watch this video from the II ... it would sound great on the III

and another one

That is awesome! Thank you for sharing!!!!!!!

I’m assuming you are referring to “shimmer” not the backing track, correct?

Back
Top Bottom