does the Ax smoke a pod hd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AxeFxII does not smoke the POD HD ... it smokes Lucky Strikes, unfiltered. But it is trying to quit.

I had an HD500 for a while before the Axe Standard and the Axe-FX II. I still think it is a great unit for what it costs. I could get some good tones out of it.

The problem was there was always something in the tone I didnt like. Harshness in the treble, mush in the lows, a "blurriness" in the mids. I would sit and tweak on it for hours, and of course the half-assed EQ's they have was another frustrating point of trying to dial it in. I could get a tone I liked, but it took a TON of work, and it took 100% of the processor just to get the base tone good (drive, amps, eq, comp etc....). No room left for effects.

Its funny because the Axe-FX has FAR more controls and better EQ's, I rarely use any of it because it just sounds right using the BMT controls.

So, I think the POD's are certainly good devices. You get a lot for you money. However, I do think there are a lot of things in the tone that need "fixing", which can be hard and time consuming to do. I was one of the lucky ones and could afford to move up to Fractal, but I know that not everyone has that luxury.

I'm just being totally honest here: if the only thing you need are highgain tones, chances are, you won't mind the difference in tone enough to justify the expense.

The HD500 can do musical white noise pretty good. There's no much to be gained here, IMHO.

If you need some crunchy tones here and there, though, go for the Axe.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Super high gain that is highly processed sounds similar to me on most devices. The difference is MUCH more pronounced in the less processed low to moderate high gain tones because they are a lot more complex. But take my thoughts with a grain of salt since I'm not into those type of tones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owned the "dream rig" for a while - after my third HD500 died, second JTV-69 died, and my DT50 died (all under warranty but that's beside the point) I sold it all and got the AF2. That's the only time in my life I ever said "thank God for equipment failures"!!

My variax guitar died.
My variax bass died.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Super high gain that is highly processed sounds similar to me on most devices. The difference is MUCH more pronounced in the less processed low to moderate high gain tones because they are a lot more complex. But take my thoughts with a grain of salt since I'm not into those type of tones.

I disagree with this. High gain players are some of the biggest gear-heads out there. There is a HUGE difference.

I feel the same way about clean and low gain amps. I mean, why so many? A Fender is a Fender. If it is clean and bright, it is a Fender. One is enough. Same way with low gain. If it Marshall-y, and has some AC/DC type crunch, then it sounds good. Again, why so many? They all sound the same. I say this as a high gain player......

We never understand what we don't use......

I see the POD as a consumer product, and the AXE as a professional tool. Their capabilities and price points are in alignment with those categories.

But... If you are wondering about the AXE for High gain use, then this might be some education about some of what it can do.

Axe FX II (FW12) - High Gain Showcase (28 amp models - Metal) - YouTube

But about the PODHD, last summer I watched a number of live bands playing pretty big outdoor gigs (concert in the park type deals) and one in my mind sticks out where both guitars were using POD HD500's. They were doing 80's rock and metal. Bon Jovi and Def Leppard type stuff. I was right up close, and was really amazed at how good the guitars sounded. I mean, for a cover band, the tone was great. It worked, and so if was definitely usable. To me, 80's tone is very processed, loaded with chorus and flange and delay and "shiny" distortion, and to me this is where the POD units are most usable. Crowds are never analyzing your tone (unless it's shrill and harsh). This box did the job, and the show was great. Was it AXE like? Probably not, but the fact is it was perfectly usable and sounded great.

BUT... from what I have heard from the AXE... it is indeed a large step up. Fullness, clarity, punch, and it cuts. It to me does sound as good and alive as a real tube amp. Again, it's a professional's tool.

PS... still waiting for my purchase invite for my new XL...:ugeek

no offense taken, that isnt me. I used to be a recording engineer at a nice facility so i know tone and can hear the diff. Right now i have a nice home rig and i want direct tones that slay so i picked up a pod hd desktop and it is good value for the price but i want more, bigger and fatter, fuller with more depth and realism and none of that scratchy fizzy high end that i cant seem to escape from with the pod. you all know what im talking about.

Also, how much tweaking do you have to do to get a decent tone with the ax? (my dream tones are from tempo of the damned by exodus to evisceration plage by cannibal corpse)

In a perfect world i would like to just choose a head and cab block and slap a TS and gate on it, adjust only the actual knobs on the "head" to taste and have what i mentioned.

Then the answer is NO CONTEST.

I used a pod hd a few times. I used to play with yo-yo's sometimes too when I was a kid. They're both fun toys. I'm not a kid anymore..... I own an Axe-FX II.

Well the Axe smokes the HD 500, put I'd say it's a pretty raunchy smoke.
You get a headache after and very little buzz

Let me put it this way:

I've owned several variants of the Line 6 Pods, through the years - they worked great for me at home, but I couldn't get into them live. I almost always went for my pedalboard when I played live.

Since I got my AxeFx I hardly touch my pedalboard (and no longer own any Pods or L6 gear). I use my AxeFx 99% of the time, live and at home.

lol, you guys crack me up. thanks for all the info and thoughts.

i want to take my recording to the next level and he clips i hear with this are where i want to be.

can anyone tell me how many months the wait time is? im guessing 6 months?

Steve Howe uses the Pod HD 500 live... I think I'd classify him as a pro with good ears. It's all personal preference.

So does (or did) Lincoln Brewster, and he has a great ear for tone. Recently I saw him with a toaster like device on a Youtube video though.

I need to get my eyes checked. Read "does axe fx smoke pot hd" lol wut. I need some coffee.

I actually have an HD500 that I've been using as a midi footswitch. I've been kind of curious myself as to how the two stack up. I'll throw together some presets on both, do a side-by-side and put it on Soundcloud. Just give me a couple days. ;)

As promised, here is a side-by-side of the Axe FX II and POD HD500. I did three tracks with a very simple riff. I took a JCM 800 head, a tube screamer and a Recto cabinet from both. On the Axe I used the JCM800 Mod as it sounded closer to the HD500's model. The first track takes the stock settings from both. On the second and third I tried as best I could to standardize the settings for both so that you could hear a "truer" comparison. The second is off the bridge pickup and the third is off the neck pickup with the volume turned down to try to simulate a cleaned up tone through volume control.

For now I won't say which is which. My guess is most of you will be able to tell. By my ears the differences are pretty stark.

Oh and one sounds louder than the other but it's actually not. I equalized the output for both.

HD500 vs Axe FX II JCM 800 - Stock
HD500 vs Axe FX II JCM 800 - Bridge
HD500 vs Axe FX II JCM 800 - Neck

Hope this is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom