Does "quality" matter in an interface if all you'd be using it for is outputs/monitoring?

DC11GTR

Inspired
Now that my chops are about halfway back and my stamina is getting better, I want to start making music again. Or at least attempting to... lol

Right now, I plug straight into muh Fractal and go directly out to a pair of Kali IN5's. I just got a new iMac and, though it's fast and all that, I don't want to use the headphone output for monitoring. I think it makes more sense to put those Kali's to good use and get an interface. I don't need a mic pre or multiple inputs or anything like that. It will just be for guitar demos and to play along with them. I can use MIDI and whatnot for other instruments. When/if it becomes time to REALLY record, I'll do that at a real place.

Am I wrong in thinking that I don't need much of an interface? Just a volume knob and a headphone out? I'll be going from the Fractal into the computer, so that's another reason I'm thinking that I don't need a high quality interface. Unless latency is a factor? I figure that if this is all I'd be using it for, that I can go this route. Otherwise, I'd just go for something high end, but that seems unnecessary. Unless it's not... Pardon my ignorance. I'm just getting back into the game. I'm not so much asking for interface suggestions. More that I want to know what kind of things I need to consider.

Really? So, the Fractal (it's an FM3) would basically become the interface? That doesn't seem right... I think I misspoke here:
Just a volume knob and a headphone out?
I meant headphone out as an accessory. I want to use the Kali's as normal monitors going out of Pro Tools for demos and such. It's the fact I don't need an interface's inputs and was concerned that subpar or non-existent inputs would mean crap outputs and if that would matter.

I use it like the guys above describe FM3 via USB to a Mac and Kali LP6. You can listen to Reaper, Spotify, Youtube etc. No problem just follow the instructions how to setup the FM3

OK - I’m going to latch on to this thread since it already starts the basic discussion I’m pondering. I’d like to hear more input of “which monitoring output” is the reference “boss” or “best dependable” for creating consistent mixes for multiple platforms:

We want our recordings to sound good on:
Phones with in ear audio
Our studio near field monitors
Some of you have audio interfaces which affect the mix
Thru our fractals using headphones
Etc

My case: It doesn’t get any simpler than FM3 as interface, monitoring with DT 1770 Pro headphones. Sounds great, levels easy to dial in, works well with Logic, iTunes, etc. Done!

But is it? I find my DT 1770s emphasize low end frequency differently than my Focal Twin Be6 near field monitors, and of course both of those re different than my iPhone AirPod Pros.

I Love the mixes I get using the DT pros thru the fractal, but I always have this nervous vibe that it may be crap when I start mixing on other monitors.

So how do all of you play out this scenario?

(I guess i should preface that, yes, I do get the DAILY emails from Steven Slate selling his headphone system - I finally unsubscribed! Nothing personal about his products (some of which I own) but….too much email..)

(I guess i should preface that, yes, I do get the DAILY emails from Steven Slate selling his headphone system - I finally unsubscribed! Nothing personal about his products (some of which I own) but….too much email..)

The key is to use monitors and a treated room (or headphones) that allow you to make mixing decisions that will translate well to other listening environments. Your choice of audio interface doesn't really matter. Instead, it's a matter of using good monitoring gear, a well treated room, and, optionally, room correction software. If you're mixing on headphones, I can recommend the Slate VSX system, so it sounds like it's time for you to resubscribe :).

The key is to use monitors and a treated room (or headphones) that allow you to make mixing decisions that will translate well to other listening environments. Your choice of audio interface doesn't really matter. Instead, it's a matter of using good monitoring gear, a well treated room, and, optionally, room correction software. If you're mixing on headphones, I can recommend the Slate VSX system, so it sounds like it's time for you to resubscribe :).
Thanks for your thoughts! Full disclosure, I never went down the Slate VSX road, i just get all those emails from buying his slate drums programs years back.

I guess my issue is I have plenty capable Focal monitors, albeit slightly bright, and can get them sounding quite good via iTunes when I push iTunes app gain to 100%. The other dilemma is that i really prefer the headphone sound of everything in general when i record.

The focals only have 6” woofers, so i wonder if the low end is just a little harder to bring in. I’m not a “bass banger” but do want full spectrum and dynamics in all ranges. I’ve been trying to figure out how to EQ the output of only the focals, ideally within the MAC, so i can subtly balance the room sound. As soon as I sent the message earlier, I wondered to myself could i accomplish that by sending to the Focals thru output 2 and adjust the EQ in the output block? Or are you telling mr Mr Slate is indeed my answer man? I’m not proud if thats truly the best and least path of resistance. Thanks!

The goal with a monitoring setup for mixing isn't necessarily to get it to sound "good". The goal is to get it to sound true. By that I mean to get it to where it won't mislead you into bad mixing decisions. Your Focal monitors are fine, but the other part of the equation if you want to mix with those is your room. You'll need to treat your room to avoid resonances and reflections that can mislead you. If you've taken room treatment as far as you can go and you find your mixes still don't translate well to other listening environments, then you can try room correction software, for example Sonar Works or Arc Studio.

If, on the other hand, you want to mix with headphones, yes, Slate VSX is probably a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom