Does it make sense to adjust amp advanced parameters on beta 18?

L

luke

When loading normal 18, when it arrives, override changed in the advanced amp page as 18b did over 17.04? Just wondering if tweaking now makes sense or if that work will be lost upon upgrade.

Guess it depends how valuable you consider your time.

I usually have nothing to do all evening but sit on my butt, watch tv, and respond to internet forum, so I certainly enjoy playing around with the controls and seeing what I get. If something drastically changes in FW18 final release and I might have to tweak again, oh well. I've got time.

Hell, sometimes tweaking those controls and learning what they do is part of the fun. I often mess around with them and don't even end up saving things.

Seems like a lot of others are way busier than I am, and feel like 15 minutes they spent editing is 15 minutes of their lives they can't ever get back and can't spare.

I mean, I maybe wouldn't go and spend 2 eight hours days doing nothing but fine tuning using a beta FW, but then again, how many really have 150 presents they spend 20 minutes on ?

Also, why not just backup your 18 beta settings so if the final release changes something you feel you can't get back, you can revert to the beta and still have that patch

Also, why not just backup your 18 beta settings so if the final release changes something you feel you can't get back, you can revert to the beta and still have that patch

No guarantee that will work either. I backed up my presets on 17.04 on my main Axe, then I loaded 18 onto my spare, then I put the 17.04 presets onto the 18 Axe and they were altered still.

Sometimes we have to reset the amp, on 18b it resets itself. Which way will 18 go?

Well since 18 is a massive overhaul on the amp block., and chances are that Cliff isn't going to to backtrack his firmware improvements, it's probably best to go ahead and tweak your sounds with the updated FW. In all honesty, and most will agree, FW 18 is definitely more true to life, and it's worth the time investment to tweak your altered patches. Otherwise, you'll stop at 17.04 and won't get to progress with everyone else at 18 and beyond.

This is encouragement to embrace the change. You're gonna love it when you dive into it. Explore new amps. You might find yourself falling in love with updated amp models you never thought about before... I literally just changed my main dirty and clean amps because of FW18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most effective way to tweak my presets has always been to learn to find the few parameters that are the important ones with the newest FW and which are not that important anymore. Because with every FW parameters and their weight for the whole picture have changed, sometimes more, sometimes less. Too much work to tweak them all.
So far what I've found:
Basic page in AE: GBMTP are ok, depth, dyn depth, dyn pres need the old values. Amp Trim needs retweak old value isn't good anymore.
EQ page: Nothing changed, leave untouched.
Cab page: Everything got reset. Need my low frequency, rest is ok.
Further pages: Tube type, dyn damping, neg FB, Pre/post PI, depth freq, tonestack place and freq are the most important params, rest can stay untouched when it sounds good.

My best idea for you is that you find a similar plan, that makes edits faster for you.

This is encouragement to embrace the change. You're gonna love it when you dive into it. Explore new amps. You might find yourself falling in love with updated amp models you never thought about before... I literally just changed my main dirty and clean amps because of FW18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm finding this too.

Before 18, there were certain amp models that seemed to have more mojo for me than others. And I stuck with those.

With 18, the number of amps with mojo is amazing. It really "brought to life" amp models that I had passed on for a long time.

You're not following my question. I'm not asking yea or nay on 18, I'm asking Fractal if the non-beta 18 will erase and reset any advanced parameters I change in 18b.

Let's say I like the tritone hardness in the HBE at 9 instead of 6 and I changed all my HBE presets. Then 18 comes along and reverts them back to 6.

Why tweak 70 patches to have them over written in a week?

You're not following my question. I'm not asking yea or nay on 18, I'm asking Fractal if the non-beta 18 will erase and reset any advanced parameters I change in 18b.

Let's say I like the tritone hardness in the HBE at 9 instead of 6 and I changed all my HBE presets. Then 18 comes along and reverts them back to 6.

Well 70 patches seems like a lot for a given amp, but likely in the time you've spent worrying about it, and time you've spent on this thread, you could probably go and retweak them all again if worse comes to worse.

As I said, it all comes down to everyone's unique value of their time. No one can answer that for you. Maybe someone with 3 kids and 15 minutes of free time each weekend between little league games, errands etc views "time" different than someone who's only task for a weekend involves showering and doing some laundry.

How do you know 18 will be here in a week ? What if its 3 weeks ?

It could be said why even tweak when 18 comes out because sooner or later there will be 19......

Well 70 patches seems like a lot for a given amp, but likely in the time you've spent worrying about it, and time you've spent on this thread, you could probably go and retweak them all again if worse comes to worse.

As I said, it all comes down to everyone's unique value of their time. No one can answer that for you. Maybe someone with 3 kids and 15 minutes of free time each weekend between little league games, errands etc views "time" different than someone who's only task for a weekend involves showering and doing some laundry.

How do you know 18 will be here in a week ? What if its 3 weeks ?

It could be said why even tweak when 18 comes out because sooner or later there will be 19......

The only thing that could be different is if a parameter were to be deleted. If the parameter is there the value won't be changed, just like any other FW update. If it helps, think of it as 18.00 to 18.01. If a parameter is added, it will be set to default.

Cliff is updating the amp models, not the core operating system.

Unless he has a revelation (which he often does) while working on it and makes new improvements/changes LOL

Cliff certainly isn't the type of guy to say "hey, its good enough as it is. I'm going to go relax on a beach for a few months"

The only thing that could be different is if a parameter were to be deleted. If the parameter is there the value won't be changed, just like any other FW update. If it helps, think of it as 18.00 to 18.01. If a parameter is added, it will be set to default.

How could you know that? This time most of the advanced parameters and some others got reset to factory defaults. No clue what happens from 18.00b to 18.01b.

It might. I can't say for sure yet.

It will definitely overwrite certain parameters if the preset was created with 17.04 or earlier. The logic goes like this:

Code:
if(presetRevision < 18.00)
{
updateAmpBlockDefaultValues(pAmpBlock);
}

How could you know that? This time most of the advanced parameters and some others got reset to factory defaults. No clue what happens from 18.00b to 18.01b.

I have a working understanding of software development and testing following a long and distinguished career as a Predator UAV engineering test pilot. The principles are the same. I've been following everything Cliff has done through that lens and everything I've seen him do makes absolute sense to me. I therefore can speculate with some degree of confidence.

Back
Top Bottom