Does It Bother Anyone Else?

I am a volunteer moderator, volunteer beta team member and no official capacity other than that beyond those roles. I am not an employee nor am I paid by Fractal. To beta test, you have to sign a NDA and I do tend to push the boundaries a bit on that by talking about things but try to either get approval and/or only talk about my thoughts in a general sense and ONLY after Cliff or someone from Fractal has opened the discussion.

A lot of folks have helped me out; I try my best to give back as much as I can because it's how I am. I talk about what I know, what I use and what I do. I am a has-been/never-was but I love to play and have been employed as a sideman or in working bands since I was 14.

Scott P., I appreciate all that you do as well. Your posts are often very helpful. I know you do all this for free. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise so freely.

Scott K.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

That is part of the whole idea behind the Axe-Fx products. I wanted to create a community of like-minded users who would help each other and share information. With any product as in-depth and complex as the Axe-Fx, the community almost has to become part of the support paradigm.

This is what drew me to the Axe-Fx - the community of users. The idea that having a certain type of support from Fractal could fit everyone's needs and be cost-effective is very likely not realistic. If Fractal could fund an army of support staff to provide all flavors of instruction and support I'm sure they would do it, but I don't think that's in the cards for them with their present makeup. I'm sure they'd like to provide more in the way of tutorials and demos but I don't know if I'd want them to slow down pushing the envelope to get there. It's like a spin on the "pick two" adage in software development applied to the Axe-Fx - you can have it fast, groundbreaking, or documented - pick two.

The level of support we get out of the community of users is far deeper than we could expect from pure manufacturer-based support. There are plenty of examples out there of products that have no community support where don't get more than the company line, generic FAQ-style support with many of those products. The Fractal products aren't for everyone - you need to understand what you're getting into and be ready to dig into the products and learn them to get the most benefit. If you're not into that (and many aren't looking for that type of experience, no shame in that) there are probably better fits for you elsewhere. I like that the Fractal products draw the experimenters and innovators into their community - that's the kind of product in which I like to invest my time. I'm just a rank amateur, and even though the Axe-Fx and its surrounding accessories are quite a considerable investment, my time is the most valuable thing I have. When deciding where to spend my "guitar time", I need to put my time into something of true quality and innovation and I feel the Axe is where it's at today.

Hey Metalpriest
do you think you are just a bit overwhelmed at the level of complexity of this device??
I bought an Axe 2 having had no previous axe experience
I must admit the learning curve is steep, but this forum has more info than I can digest
I dont understand some parameters at present
But--I just turn the virtual knobs and listen to the sound and end up with some pretty freakin awesome and useable sounds
If that doesnt work I just use some of smilefans patches and do a minor tweak here and there or look for scotts or others threads and can usually fix it up
This is an awesome product that needs forums like this to keep up with the constant updates but it is a very powerful and awesome product

Here's the thing. I looked at the Axe I std and ultra way back in the beginning. It had a buch of midi blah blah that I did not know anything about and I decided against it. I looked again when the II came out and started hearing clips that sounded really good to me so I started reading this forum and found it to be the best forum I had ever seen.
I decided to buy the Axe II but was really scared of it. I have had it a month and I am still a little shy about it but I found a batch of factory presets that sound as good as the gear I already have. So to have fun with the AXE, I don't really have to do anything but turn that big dial.
I figure I will learn more and more as I go, or maybe not. It may not matter.
That being said, it would be awesome if someone could put out a DVD of basic operation. The youtube videos of the FW and preset updates have been priceless to me.

When you buy a Dell, HP, Apple...pick one... are you really expecting the vendor/OEM to provide the low level hand holding you're describing? Not a realistic expectation. I think in this day and age - there's an inherent expectation for anyone willing to purchase a complex piece of electronics that you'll put in the time to learn how to get the most out of it. Similar to computers, TVs, phones...whatever. You can use it out of the box, with no studying of the nitty gritty details - but to get the most out of these products and exploit their full capability - you have to be willing to absorb the manual and then find a community that is willing to offer their knowledge. It was the same when I switched to Apple - and it's the same for this. How far you go in your mastery of this device - is up to you.

Back
Top Bottom