Does Fractal Have TOO MANY Options?

Some of you didn’t even read the post and it shows 😅

Indeed 😂

Q: Does Fractal Have TOO MANY Options?
A: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Interesting to see the origin of "Lorem Ipsum..."
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/2016-people-read-headlines-only-simo-karkkulainen/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

1697191359866.png

No! We need more! Cause more is more! Great sounds are very simple but if you are after a certain sound or feel... you can most likely get if you know or figure out how.

Some of you didn’t even read the post and it shows 😅
I agree with @sprint and @JoKeR III. You created a post with a very misleading and inflammatory title, instead of using a title that actually pertains closely with your subject, and then got responses that react to the title. I’m not sure that it’s the fault of the respondents.

Moving on, it’s good that you took a second look at the system. Fractal makes an incredible piece of gear that can replace a lot of other pieces, and they keep improving it. It’s definitely the gift/modeler that keeps on giving.

As you’ve found out, the number of options is perfect! It has everything you need, and nothing more… until you need more. It’s like playing a game with infinite levels that gets better when you do.

All of life should be this good :)

Options are good! I could never understand why some get option overload. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it! but I understand how some would feel compelled to do so.

Spend 2-3k on a complete digital rig and try to use everything you can to make it feel like you got your money's worth. I always say to them when you get tired of the digital rig you built go in find a different amp, effects, cab etc... and build another preset it won't cost you a dime try that with a tube amp with all the trimmings!

Last edited:
self-dis·ci·pline| ˈˌself ˈdisiplin | noun

the ability to control one's feelings and overcome one's weaknesses; the ability to pursue what one thinks is right despite temptations to abandon it: his observance of his diet was a show of tremendous willpower and self-discipline.

I've found that the people who say "fractal is too complicated" fit the same mold over and over. They're players who are not at all invested in their tone and sounding their very best. Those who want to sound their very best while having to carry a lot less heavy shit are the ones who invest the time in learning how to use Fractal products, and get the results. As far as I am concerned, there is no better guitar product than Fractal and it's not close.

As a simple amp and cab user, I would watch friends who owned a Fractal product and be really turned off by it. I thought there were way to many options. What the heck is an impedance curve?

I didn’t think Fractal was for me. Boy, was I was wrong.

The cost and logistics of having a full set of gear, and apartment living, forced me to try my first Fractal product, the FM3, and then quickly upgrade to the FM9. The learning curve has been steep, but the factory defaults and realistic control views that are tailored to match the real front panel on each amp made it very easy to get started. I almost immediately felt at home.

It doesn’t stop there though. I quickly wanted to go further, and there’s no way I would have ever learned any of the more complex ins and outs of guitar gear and audio if I wasn’t forced to by this amazing piece of gear. Thankfully, folks like Leon Todd and Cooper Carter on YouTube made it very easy to learn everything quickly, and have fun doing it.

Just one year later, I’ve become a better player and mixer using the FM9. Playing is way more enjoyable.

I love the FM9.
One thing is for sure, when buying a Fractal product you end up knowing much more about a lot of things related to amps, cabs, mic, fx etc. Cliff and team and a lot of forum members have so much knowledge it's a blessing reading such knowledge.

I don't even know what I am doing and I can get a great tone!
Similar experience (or lack thereof) here.
I started as a synth guy in the 80's, and since pickup up guitar and (several) modeling devices, my playing ability is slowly developing...but the Fractals have improved my tone.
Which is another topic of discussion. How much is tone connected to talent? I like mine, but can't play with any efficiency (lots of mistakes).

Last edited:
Similar experience (or lack thereof) here.
I started as a synth guy in the 80's, and since pickup up guitar and (several) modeling devices, my playing ability is slowly developing...but the Fractals have improved my tone.
Which is another topic of discussion. How much is tone connected to talent? I like mine, but can't play with any efficiency (lots of mistakes).
I would say that tone is more a function of technique and there is a high correlation.

Sure the lines between talent and technique can be blurred but I'm just saying you could be a less capable guitarist (considering difficulty of material) yet be able to produce superior tones with your technique.

Last edited:
Too many? Dont really know. I do know for ME, development would be better spent on functionality than new amp or FX models. It already has plenty.

As a simple amp and cab user, I would watch friends who owned a Fractal product and be really turned off by it. I thought there were way to many options. What the heck is an impedance curve?

I didn’t think Fractal was for me. Boy, was I was wrong.

The cost and logistics of having a full set of gear, and apartment living, forced me to try my first Fractal product, the FM3, and then quickly upgrade to the FM9. The learning curve has been steep, but the factory defaults and realistic control views that are tailored to match the real front panel on each amp made it very easy to get started. I almost immediately felt at home.

It doesn’t stop there though. I quickly wanted to go further, and there’s no way I would have ever learned any of the more complex ins and outs of guitar gear and audio if I wasn’t forced to by this amazing piece of gear. Thankfully, folks like Leon Todd and Cooper Carter on YouTube made it very easy to learn everything quickly, and have fun doing it.

Just one year later, I’ve become a better player and mixer using the FM9. Playing is way more enjoyable.

I love the FM9.

The arrival of the Fender Tone Master Pro is interesting. They've gone down the Headrush route, and opted for "recognisable" icons and a simplified UI (plus a somewhat limited subset of Amps and Effects). I'm not a fan of that approach if it means that is ALL that there is, with nothing deeper to dive into, which in the case of the new Fender offering there kind of isn't. What I love about the FM9 is the incredible depth it offers. I'm not going to cr*p on about all different ways you can get creative with everything in the Fractal devices, because probably most people who own one already know, or have a very good idea. What I will say though is that it might not be for everyone, and I know there are guitarists who are intimidated by, and feel limited by, option paralysis on modern gear. So maybe for them a Headrush or Tone Master Pro would be the way to go.
For me the constantly evolving ecosystem of the Fractal devices and the excellent updates that are always free keep me continually interested and inspired. Quite honestly there are some fantastic tones that I have created in the FM9 that have nuances to them that I have never heard anywhere else, and that is down to the incredible range of possibilities of every single component in the FM9. I can't imagine what it must be like to code something like an Axe FX or FM9 but I take my hat off to Cliff and his team - keep up the amazing work - (no... I don't work for Fractal, and yes I realise this sounds like a long a*se kissing exercise :tearsofjoy:).

Sometimes its still a pain in the ass for an old guy like me ( problems with eyes, ears .. ) to mess around with the endless
possibilties of my FM9, but in the end, if !!! I get a very good result, its still a great thing for me. For me... its better to have
these opportunities. And... nothing is perfect. Whole life is an endless search for the Tone and better ways to catch it.
In the end I like the way how Fractal does it.

To me that's like saying an band should only record one album because if they make more than that it's just to many choices. Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone searches for the same sound or tone or style of guitar playing. Too much is never enough 🤟

Back
Top Bottom