Does FM3 have enough dsp for pitch effects, capo, drop tune?

Im not sure if I want the FM3 or if the FM9 would suit me better.

I want pitch effects and to be able to down tune same as a Whammy DT.

Does the FM3 have enough dsp for detune and such? Or would I be better served with a Whammy DT?

Yes you can do that with the FM3 and still have a drive, reverb, and delay. And might have enough room for more effects depending on which ones. What I do is use different versions of my main presets. For example, one will have the pitch, and another might use the multi tap delay while both use the same drives amps and cabs. The little guy can do a lot and it sounds great. You can buy an FM3 today. The 9 will be a long wait unless you pay premium prices on the various markets like FB Reverb and eBay.

Yes you can do that with the FM3 and still have a drive, reverb, and delay. And might have enough room for more effects depending on which ones. What I do is use different versions of my main presets. For example, one will have the pitch, and another might use the multi tap delay while both use the same drives amps and cabs. The little guy can do a lot and it sounds great. You can buy an FM3 today. The 9 will be a long wait unless you pay premium prices on the various markets like FB Reverb and eBay.

The FM3 has enough dsp to run the pitch block, yes.
The number of blocks determines the cpu usage per patch.

Awesome! This clears things up for me.

AFAIK, you can currently do just one at a time with the FM3 or FM9 (one Pitch Block).
So, AFAIK, you cannot use the virtual capo and a whammy/detune/other pitch effect at the same time...?
There is some limited form of pitch algorithm in the Reverb block too though — again AFAIK.
Make sure to make sure :)

AFAIK, you can currently do just one at a time with the FM3 or FM9 (one Pitch Block).
So, AFAIK, you cannot use the virtual capo and a whammy/detune/other pitch effect at the same time...?
There is some limited form of pitch algorithm in the Reverb block too though — again AFAIK.
Make sure to make sure :)

I believe you are correct. Only 1 pitch block so you wouldn't be able to run whammy and capo simultaneously. Do you really need that though is the question.

And just to add to this. The FM3 pitch block and/or the pitch detection algorithm is not as good as the FM9 and the Axe-Fx III. And IIRC that can't be upgraded to be in sync with it's bigger siblings.

If I were using the FM3 and needed some drop-tuning/capo functionality, I would probably use an external unit for that placed just before the FM3 input.

If I cant use both at once then I can use one set of the pitch effects and get a smaller digitech pedal like the drop so I can avoid the massive Whammy DT.

That being said I may still end up with the Whammy DT.

The Drop of the EH Pitch-Fork. The Whammy sounds pretty good on the FM3. And the harmonizing (placed between the Amp an Cab block). The FM9 is noticeably better though.

It is possible to have the Pitch block perform two duties at one time, and/or be in two different places in the signal chain within a single preset. But this is more difficult on the FM3 because of CPU% restraints.

Im not sure if I want the FM3 or if the FM9 would suit me better.

I want pitch effects and to be able to down tune same as a Whammy DT.

Does the FM3 have enough dsp for detune and such? Or would I be better served with a Whammy DT?
I'd recommend reading the FM3 and FM9 manuals, as they explain the units' capabilities, and ways to use them, and will give you a headstart toward working with them. The Blocks Guide is also good to read as it shows which blocks and how many are available on the units.

I believe you are correct. Only 1 pitch block so you wouldn't be able to run whammy and capo simultaneously. Do you really need that though is the question.
Yeah, "need" is usually relative of course. But let's say you don't want to retune for a modern EVH sound, you'd want the virtual capo for Eb and the detuning effect. Many scenarios like this. As long as you know that in advance, you can decide how to deal with it.
The virtual capo working well on at least III and FM9 almost makes you wish for three Pitch Blocks, which not even the III has... I guess for some scenarios the latency may start adding up, but in others not really (parallel routes, temporary effects, ...), potentially developing into a "need"...

Last edited:
And just to add to this. The FM3 pitch block and/or the pitch detection algorithm is not as good as the FM9 and the Axe-Fx III. And IIRC that can't be upgraded to be in sync with it's bigger siblings.

If I were using the FM3 and needed some drop-tuning/capo functionality, I would probably use an external unit for that placed just before the FM3 input.
I must respectfully -yet completely- disagree.

OP, the FM3's Virtual Capo is on par with the Axe Fx III's (I own both), so I can't imagine the FM9's is better than the Axe Fx III's. This is based on not only my objective measurements of latency, but also my experience as a regularly gigging musician who uses the FM3's virtual capo on a significant portion of our nearly 200-song repertoire. I would also add that I'm super sensitive to latency. No external pedal is necessary. I tested the Drop and the Helix poly pitch stuff and the Axe III (and FM3 since 4.xx) came out on top.

One thing to note, though, is that I only use it on overdriven tones. You also need to make sure it's the first block after Input. This isn't a note on how the FM3 compares to the Axe Fx III, as they both sound like dogs*** on clean tones, just a general mention.

Last edited:

OP, the FM3's Virtual Capo is on par with the Axe Fx III's (I own both), so I can't imagine the FM9's is worse than the Axe Fx III's. This is based on not only my objective measurements of latency, but also my experience as a regularly gigging musician who uses the FM3's virtual capo on a significant portion of our nearly 200-song repertoire. I would also add that I'm super sensitive to latency. No external pedal is necessary. I tested the Drop and the Helix poly pitch stuff and the Axe III (and FM3 since 4.xx) came out on top.

One thing to note, though, is that I only use it on overdriven tones. You also need to make sure it's the first block after Input. This isn't a note on how the FM3 compares to the Axe Fx III, as they both sound like dogs*** on clean tones, just a general mention.
Sweet! I wont be using it with clean tones anyways.

So I would need 2 pitch blocks to use the detune and the pitch whammy at the same time?

Sweet! I wont be using it with clean tones anyways.

So I would need 2 pitch blocks to use the detune and the pitch whammy at the same time?
Well, I guess that's the kicker - there is only one Pitch block, so if you actually did need both, then yes, you would need the Axe III (or an external pitch pedal), as both the FM9 and FM3 only have one instance of the Pitch block.

For down-tuning plus a basic whammy effect you can use the Advanced Whammy pitch type. For example, to get 1/2 step down with +1 octave whammy, set "start" and "stop" parameters to -1 and +11. This method will add less latency, sound better and use less CPU% than two pitch shifters in series, so it makes sense to use it when possible on the Axe-FX III as well.

Well, I guess that's the kicker - there is only one Pitch block, so if you actually did need both, then yes, you would need the Axe III (or an external pitch pedal), as both the FM9 and FM3 only have one instance of the Pitch block.

Its a game of compromises here. Either physically down tune the guitar and use a micropitch effect or use the virtual capo and a chorus.

OP, the FM3's Virtual Capo is on par with the Axe Fx III's (I own both), so I can't imagine the FM9's is better than the Axe Fx III's. This is based on not only my objective measurements of latency, but also my experience as a regularly gigging musician who uses the FM3's virtual capo on a significant portion of our nearly 200-song repertoire. I would also add that I'm super sensitive to latency. No external pedal is necessary. I tested the Drop and the Helix poly pitch stuff and the Axe III (and FM3 since 4.xx) came out on top.

Too add to this. I bought and returned an FM9 because the pitch shifting wasn’t that much of an improvement. Its slightly less warbly but not really “better” IMO.

Hearing this is actually really depressing as I use an FM3 to pitch shift for my band, while I don't notice any issues, I also have never used anything else in comparison, so I definitely wouldn't know.... that being said, it's seems like the FM3 has been able to get almost everything the III or FM9 have, sans enough CPU for complex presets and what not. Can you 100% say that the tech wont eventually come to the FM3? I'm genuinely not interested in owning an FM9, and upgrading to a III and buying an FC-6 really isn't ideal either monetarily. Just kinda bummed to hear this.

Hearing this is actually really depressing as I use an FM3 to pitch shift for my band, while I don't notice any issues, I also have never used anything else in comparison, so I definitely wouldn't know.... that being said, it's seems like the FM3 has been able to get almost everything the III or FM9 have, sans enough CPU for complex presets and what not. Can you 100% say that the tech wont eventually come to the FM3? I'm genuinely not interested in owning an FM9, and upgrading to a III and buying an FC-6 really isn't ideal either monetarily. Just kinda bummed to hear this.
Again; it's not true, so fear not. I verified this using rigorous objective latency testing as well as many, MANY gigs. The FM3 is on par with the Axe Fx III (and, by extension, the FM9) in terms of Virtual Capo. But yes, it was confirmed that the EXACT algorithm on the Axe Fx III will NEVER come to the FM3. But, again, the one it's got is just as good (I own both and can neither HEAR a difference nor did I find a difference during my objective latency tests). As @Thirtyandseven noted above, the Axe III and FM9's VC may be a tiny bit less warbly for cleans, that's the only time you'd hear a difference and they all sound so terrible on cleans anyway that you wouldn't want to use it. NO COMPANY has a poly pitch shifter that actually sounds good on clean guitar.

It makes sense to me to just get a digitech drop for the smaller footprint and use an expression pedal for the pitch block whammy. I was curious why there werent more boards with a whammy dt on them.

Back
Top Bottom