Does anyone have the axe fx 2 Redwirez Bigbox IR that they can email me?

but we have to also remember... "We have ALL fallen short of the Glory of God..."
very true. that's exactly why it's ok. give him the IRs. hell, give him a free axe fx! and a car, and some free money, oh don't forget the pens...

Damn... you guys are hardcore! ;)

But in reality... his "request" is no different that someone stealing office supplies (pen, paper, etc) from work... downloading music... downloading movies... heck, even cover bands are doing "worse" by not paying royalties to the original artists where they are "stealing" their music every time they perform covers live. We play a cover track pretty much ever show... so my band is guilty of this...

It's great that we try to "set him straight"... but we have to also remember... "We have ALL fallen short of the Glory of God..."

I completely disagree. i see playing cover songs as a way of paying homage to an artist you look up to and respect. if i were a followed artist i would love for people to promote my music by covering my songs all around the world. how many times do you think someone has heard a cover band play a song and then the listeners have gone out and bought the original artists' album or downloaded a song. i bet it happens all the time. ive been introduced to many artists' music through cover bands.

and i buy my own pens...you can get a box of 3000 at costco for like 6 bucks!!

Last edited:
I completely disagree. i see playing cover songs as a way of paying homage to an artist you look up to and respect. if i were a followed artist i would love for people to promote my music by covering my songs all around the world. how many times do you think someone has heard a cover band play a song and then the listeners have gone out and bought the original artists' album or downloaded a song. i bet it happens all the time. ive been introduced to many artists' music through cover bands.

and i buy my own pens...

nah, it's the same principle really. same thing with downloaded music - you share that with all your friends and it's the same - you justify yourself - in this case, by saying you've been introduced or introduced yourself to someone's music by covering it, and the same justification can bee used by downloading and sharing music with your friends. It's the same as the OP - he can use the same justification to say that he is introducing his friends or is being introduced to the IR's by 'borrowing it'. Makes it no different really.....

Mortega said it best - we all have falled short indeed.....people in glass houses should not throw stones. I've covered songs in my life too, I am also guilty.

justify it anyway you want but its not the same thing. what is an artist losing by someone covering their songs?
i doubt anyone has ever skipped seeing a national act because they happened to catch a cover band who played the same song.

maybe this thread should be continued on another forum

no disrespect to Mortega. i get what youre saying. very valid point.
but stupidity and ignorance that is shown in the OP is very irritating.

Damn... you guys are hardcore! ;)

It's great that we try to "set him straight"... but we have to also remember... "We have ALL fallen short of the Glory of God..."

"Glory of God"???? I'll have to look that up in the fiction section at the library and try to figure out what the hell you're talking about. You talk about it like she's real. Must have been on a lunch break during the holocaust and busy at the bowling alley during this little Darfur situation.

Wow, did I just make a ridiculous thread even moreso? :)

cheers,
Steve

Wow, did I just make a ridiculous thread even moreso? :)

Leaving God out of the discussion for a moment...

I see nothing ridiculous about people with personal integrity, ethics, a sense of right and wrong, etc. whether or not they find these strengths through religion.

I see nothing funny about the lack of personal integrity, ethics, a sense of right and wrong, etc. in many people especially when they parade their shortcomings as if they are something to be proud of.

I see nothing of value in any argument in or around the direction of; "...well nobody's perfect so anything goes...".

I see incredible value in pointing to these things (whether large or small) when I encounter them in hopes I can be a little less ignorant and lifetarded tomorrow than I am today.

~And this thread in a way has everything to do with the AxeFxII. The sort of mindset displayed by the OP is quite possibly the main reason, and maybe the only reason we can't have a software version of the Axe.

Last edited:
wow move this to the lounge or delete it.... too tempting to read when i could be going through yek's thread... or current relevant threads...

justify it anyway you want but its not the same thing. what is an artist losing by someone covering their songs?
i doubt anyone has ever skipped seeing a national act because they happened to catch a cover band who played the same song.

maybe this thread should be continued on another forum

well it's not about 'losing' anything - the artist isn't 'losing' anything, and in the same way, redwirez isn't 'losing' anything by piracy. But they aren't GAINING anything, and that's the problem - see you aren't actually stealing by pirating music or covering songs or copying redwirez - but you're preventing them from making an honest day's living, BOTH the artiste, AND redwirez - you can see it like you're stealing their income instead.

If you think about it, it's pretty much the same - just different levels of the same thing - one is a petty theft, and one is a bank robbery. Same 'crime', but to a different extent.

nah, it's the same principle really. same thing with downloaded music - you share that with all your friends and it's the same - you justify yourself - in this case, by saying you've been introduced or introduced yourself to someone's music by covering it, and the same justification can bee used by downloading and sharing music with your friends. It's the same as the OP - he can use the same justification to say that he is introducing his friends or is being introduced to the IR's by 'borrowing it'. Makes it no different really.....

Mortega said it best - we all have falled short indeed.....people in glass houses should not throw stones. I've covered songs in my life too, I am also guilty.
...and actually...isn´t redwirez & co harm fender, marshall, orange etc...they´re not developing sthg. in emulating, but simply taking the cabinets, recording them, and selling it...;-)...i´m not sure, if that´s that o.k., actually...what about the new kemper amps...? should it be forbidden to "lend" a friends´ profiled bogner amp...??? or do you need to buy every profiled amp, you´re using?...i think it´s not that easy...and i´m pretty shure every single one of you, throwing stones here, has already copied plenty of mp3´s or other files...

i´m not asking for redwirez IR´s here, cause i know about the responses...but if you send me one, i´ll use it...without pangs of conscience...;-)

heck, even cover bands are doing "worse" by not paying royalties to the original artists where they are "stealing" their music every time they perform covers live. We play a cover track pretty much ever show... so my band is guilty of this...
Your worry may be unfounded. Your band is guilty only if it is the organizer/venue of the event where the cover song is performed. It is the venue's/organizer's responsibility to report the played songs and pay the appropriate fees.

Bull-the whole copyright if you pay a cover was and is a scam by the big execs. Do you really believe the writers\players get the $$ that is collected? Spare me the bull, it's NOT the same.

...and actually...isn´t redwirez & co harm fender, marshall, orange etc...they´re not developing sthg. in emulating, but simply taking the cabinets, recording them, and selling it...;-)...i´m not sure, if that´s that o.k., actually...what about the new kemper amps...? should it be forbidden to "lend" a friends´ profiled bogner amp...??? or do you need to buy every profiled amp, you´re using?...i think it´s not that easy...and i´m pretty shure every single one of you, throwing stones here, has already copied plenty of mp3´s or other files...

This actually opens up a new can of worms - in this day and age where DO we draw the line?

Who knows. just do what you know is right and keep your nose clean, thats the best you can do. here, asking someone to "give you" something that clearly is something that you should PAY FOR is a pretty clear line.

Reactions: jon
Bull-the whole copyright if you pay a cover was and is a scam by the big execs. Do you really believe the writers\players get the $$ that is collected? Spare me the bull, it's NOT the same.

Totally agreed. But they don't actually get much of cd sales and/or royalties either. Most of a musicians bread comes from touring - that's a fact. Steve vai actually did up a really nice article that opened my eyes a lot. Didn't want to stray off topic, but thought that it was worth mentioning....

... heck, even cover bands are doing "worse" by not paying royalties to the original artists where they are "stealing" their music every time they perform covers live. We play a cover track pretty much ever show... so my band is guilty of this...
Mo.. this is typical of the MIS-information one gets on the net!
Let me make this big and bold for anyone reads it...

*** COVER BANDS ARE NOT STEALING from ORIGINAL ARTISTS WHEN THEY PERFORM ***

OK.. that's out of the way - now the explanation.
ASCAP - who is responsible (world-wide) for capturing and paying royalties to the artists REQUIRES that a VENUE - NOT THE BAND - have a public performance license in place to cover public performance of music. It covers Jukeboxes, radio and videos as well as bands that play covers. If the venue does not have one, ASCAP will NOT come after the band, they go after the venue. Can you imagine the time/cost involved for lawyers to chase down cover bands to collect?? Cheaper and more efficient to go after a registered business.

BTW - The average ASCAP performance license runs $2500+ based on venue size, nbr of customers, days open per year and so on - at least in the USA.

Thought I would clarify for those that play in cover bands. IOW - don't worry about it.

Good point there. What about people/bands who cover songs on YouTube tho? Some have had to take the vids down....

Good point there. What about people/bands who cover songs on YouTube tho? Some have had to take the vids down....
Yup.. most likely copyright violations... not the same as public performance of another's song.

Back
Top Bottom