Votes: 5 3.8%
  • No

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • It may affect only noise level by ground looping

Votes: 26 19.5%
  • Are you kidding me?

Votes: 58 43.6%

• Total voters
I think we're all looking at this from the wrong angle. Obviously, there are people who believe that USB cables can influence the tone. It stands to reason they can be made to believe that USB cables influence other things as well, such as colours of pictures and videos they transfer from their phone to their PC. Of course, these would need a totally separate high-end USB cable that's optimized for pictures and videos instead of audio.

Be right back, I need to create an Amazon Marketplace account...

does the headstock, wood choice or body shape effect the tone for electric guitar?

There is a sceintific test out on the web, clearly stating how it is...but i bet many who make fun of people believing this USB myth, actaully do the same when it comes to wood and electric guitars.

does the headstock, wood choice or body shape effect the tone for electric guitar?

There is a sceintific test out on the web, clearly stating how it is...but i bet many who make fun of people believing this USB myth, actaully do the same when it comes to wood and electric guitars.
There's a difference between "I'm not satisfied with the testing I've seen that shows zero contribution" and "it is provably impossible for that to happen because....".

When it comes to guitars, I like what I like, and I don't really care why. Is wood a part of it? I have no idea. But knowing it does or it doesn't wouldn't change the fact that I only think about buying a guitar if I like playing it. The reason, even if it's just down to my emotional state when I pick it up, doesn't really matter to me.

Also, a lot of the "testing" for a lot of audio things is just crap. Listening tests are very hard to set up correctly. A lot of the provable differences in subtle things (converters, different plugins that model the same gear, etc.) can easily wind up down around -40dB....which, in isolation, are not audible in most home/project studios or on most hi-fi systems. And a lot of the testing doesn't adequately control for level....and you can easily prove that a half a dB of loudness difference affects perception pretty drastically....and doesn't sound like loudness. And, it's not as simple as level-matching the final product, depending on what you're testing....if there are any nonlinearities involved, you have to do the level matching (as well as not parameter matching but matching the real effect they have) in at least a couple different places....it winds up so tedious that you might as well not bother with the listening tests and just go with more scientific test tones/noise....except that tone/noise performance doesn't matter all that much compared to the final product, which might be somewhat unrelated to technical performance if only because of mojo, inspiration, or workflow.

Do the tiny differences matter? Well...maybe. Sometimes, it's worth paying more (or just making a different choice) for an improvement that you can't hear just for peace of mind or because something gets you excited and inspired. But, it's really hard to actually educate yourself because it seems like outside of a very few specific cases...you have to do all the testing yourself if you want it done right.

Sorry...I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm considering a significant (read: costly) upgrade for part of my home system. I know I'm already well past the point of diminishing technical returns, and I'm trying to decide how much money "because it's cool and a little better" is worth. The last time I was in this kind of a situation, I ended up putting 5x what I was planning on spending on my CC and accepting that I was going to be dealing with a lot of return shipping. Unfortunately, I don't think we've moved past that. At least it's not speakers this time....there's a lot more manual labor involved in choosing speakers.

Apples and oranges. One is a physical interaction of resonance and vibration in the analog realm. The other is the interpretation of voltage levels in digital signals.

The headstock, wood choice, body shape, etc. all CAN make a difference in the measurable analog output of the guitar. It's just typically not nearly as much as many people believe it is and in many cases is largely negligible in the context of all the other variables.

In a digital system, as long as the system can correctly interpret a one from a zero in the signal in the allotted time frame, there is zero difference in the end result. In a two state system, you only have two possible outcomes. You can't have a little bit more or less one or zero.

I remember back in the day every one had to have those high end Monster cables. The audiophiles SWORE the sound was better. Except it was the frequencies humans couldn't actually hear. Just like 4K TVs now. Nothing really broadcasts in 4K, so you're really not seeing 4K anyway.

I remember back in the day every one had to have those high end Monster cables. The audiophiles SWORE the sound was better. Except it was the frequencies humans couldn't actually hear. Just like 4K TVs now. Nothing really broadcasts in 4K, so you're really not seeing 4K anyway.
My favorite was the blind test between the $200 monster speaker cables and a metal coat hanger.

Nobody could tell the difference.

I will say I can absolutely tell the 4K difference when watching movies or playing video games (occasionally streaming too).

Lets not fail to consider the acoustic influence of the physical USB cable - if this cable is in the same room as the speaker/monitors; because that's the only difference it could make, as its function is entirely in the digital realm. While very few USB cables are dense and furry enough to act as a functional bass trap or cause noticeable phase shifts or comb filtering: they can conceivably affect some of the room reflections and diffusion: not so much that it could be heard or measured within the margins of error of today's technology: as impacts to the fragile harmonics and the subtleties of the crystal lattice remain below the threshold of perception for all but omniscient awareness. And the same applies to all the surfaces and cables, cases and food wrappers, and especially the helmholtz resonance of the waste basket; all the content of the room will have some influence on the acoustics: Even the butterfly outside flapping its wings and dreaming of Chuang-Tsu.

Yeah.....

Speaker cables absolutely do not matter as long as they can pass the power. My favorite speakers cables I've ever used were an orange extension cord that I cut up because I needed the system working and didn't have time to go buy any.

That didn't stop me from spending about $100 on speaker cables for my mastering rig. Why? They look cool. They're very nicely soldered. The heat shrink is cleaner than I can do. And I installed them several years ago and never thought about them again, and I probably won't until I move into a different room. They're not monster cables, though.

4K, OTOH, can easily be calculated based on your visual acuity. We have a 4K TV in our living room. The size we wanted and the distance from the TV to the couch was right on the edge of whether or not I could see any difference at all. My wife's eyes are a little worse than mine, and she can't. But, it also only cost about $80 more than an HD tv in the same size thanks to Costco.

4K computer monitors make a huge difference, though, as long as it's big enough. You've got so much more virtual area to put things in. You can see more tracks at once in a DAW as well as huge, well-rendered waveforms. And when you watch HD video, you can arrange it to take up about a quarter of the screen in native resolution and still do other things with 75% of the display.

I do wish that Windows and OS X would catch up with Linux in terms of subpixel font rendering and scaling different parts of the UI. On Linux, you can set it up so that all of the stupid window borders and useless UI elements take up basically no space, text is (relatively) big, readable, and so sharp that it never hurts your eyes. Windows and OS X's GUI scaling are both at least 8-10 years behind Linux in that regard. When 4K displays came out and were usable with computers, Linux already had the mechanisms in place to do all of that. The people who wrote xrandr really knew what they were doing.

My favorite computer setup was a 40" 4K TV just sitting on my desk. It felt like using 4 HD screens with no bezels. And an i5 laptop from 2011 with integrated graphics could run it (obviously not for gaming). I'm still waiting for Windows and OS X to catch up so I can have something like that experience with my studio computer, at which point, I'm probably going to put a 70" TV on my front wall....should be very similar. But, they're still expensive.

Unfortunately, I can't get away with that setup for music things....that TV set up like that really screws up the stereo image.

of course no but a guitar cable can affect the tone
Of course they do. The impedance relationships are totally different, and the math that shows that speaker cables, line level cables, and the vast majority of mic cables are all the same also show that guitar cables have a significant effect on the high end.

Lets not fail to consider the acoustic influence of the physical USB cable - if this cable is in the same room as the speaker/monitors; because that's the only difference it could make, as its function is entirely in the digital realm. While very few USB cables are dense and furry enough to act as a functional bass trap or cause noticeable phase shifts or comb filtering: they can conceivably affect some of the room reflections and diffusion: not so much that it could be heard or measured within the margins of error of today's technology: as impacts to the fragile harmonics and the subtleties of the crystal lattice remain below the threshold of perception for all but omniscient awareness. And the same applies to all the surfaces and cables, cases and food wrappers, and especially the helmholtz resonance of the waste basket; all the content of the room will have some influence on the acoustics: Even the butterfly outside flapping its wings and dreaming of Chuang-Tsu.
Hilarious. Love it.

This is actually one of the things I've been talking about in various threads on a couple forums lately...a lot of people obsess over things that either don't make any difference or make a demonstrably tiny difference. But, they ignore things like the desk. A large format console or nearfields on most stands sitting on most "studio" desks creates so much comb filtering that you're never going to hear things accurately through that.

There are very few even high-end studios that really get that right. And just about every desk I've ever seen is too tall. I'm looking into changing my desk, and it looks like I'm just going to have to build something to get it right.

Last edited:

All are sounds from the same flute,
All mushrooms from the same wet mould.
Day and night follow one another and come upon us
Without our seeing how they sprout!

Chuang Tzu

Not USB, but I've had some pops/clicks when using SPDIF to my Focusrite, (yes using 24/48) but it happens with my II, FM3, and now the AX3. Its either the focusrite or the cable. I just switched to USB with the AX3 and am digging the options there for recording/re-amping!

Not USB, but I've had some pops/clicks when using SPDIF to my Focusrite, (yes using 24/48) but it happens with my II, FM3, and now the AX3. Its either the focusrite or the cable. I just switched to USB with the AX3 and am digging the options there for recording/re-amping!
I actually wouldn't be surprised if it's the cable. SPDIF (at least the Coax/RCA type) is actually fairly sensitive to the type of cable used, and oddly enough needs to have a minimum length (I think it's like 4 feet). Drove me nuts until I splurged for a decent set of high quality 6ft cables.

Back
Top Bottom