Dodged a Universal Audio Bullet: update = Pulled Trigger

Update and Correction

Sooo, after even the UA rep told me their devices aren't MIDI controllable, I decided to buy a cheap used Solo card just to try the plugins anyway. After installation, I opened some of them in Reaper and found that all the parameters are effortlessly controllable by MIDI cc from external controller hardware. Why UA doesn't say this is beyond me. It is hurting their sales.

I am blown away by the quality of these plugins. The EP-34 sounds exactly like my old Echoplex. The only shortfall is its behavior when you rapidly reduce delay time by moving the virtual record head faster than the virtual tape. But even that is still the closest approximation I have ever seen. The Studer A800, Empirical Labs Fatso, Ocean Way room sims, Dimension D, and every other plugin I've tried so far have exceeded my expectations. The difference in quality/realism between these and my Waves/etc. plugins is undeniable.

I've decided to by an Octo, as using a Studer sim and Neve/other channel strip on every track, along with Ocean Way, eats up the DSP rather quickly.

Off I go to build what I hope will be a reasonable Hyperspace Pedal with the EP-34. Reaper offers VST feedback loops via its old buffer save/restore plugin (so I can process the EP's feedback), and the latency of the UA gear is tiny enough not to slow down even the fastest repeats.

Yeah. It totally depends what you need and what you need it for. For mixing it's very important. As I said I have three: a firewire Solo Satellite, and Solo PCIe that both work together and a Satellite Quad Thunderbolt for my MacBookPro. The two that go together, like you, I always have a lot of DSP left. But they're not even my main plugins. I just use the mouse. Not at all a deal breaker for me. I don't play guitar with my plugins. Or pedals.
I have an Apollo Quad where I max out with 6 SSL plugs, GBUS comp, and Apex. Does this sound right ? I was considering picking a PCI octo for mixing phase.

I assumed that everything today is mini controllable. It's not really a selling point any more. EVERYTHING is controllable by controller information. That's why I was confused by your initial post. So they don't have to advertise that midi is a feature. It's kind of like advertising that the car your selling has tires or a steering wheel. LOL.

I assumed that everything today is mini controllable. It's not really a selling point any more. EVERYTHING is controllable by controller information. That's why I was confused by your initial post. So they don't have to advertise that midi is a feature. It's kind of like advertising that the car your selling has tires or a steering wheel. LOL.
Thing is, UA specifically told me that their plugins are not MIDI controllable, except for their Eventide H19 plugin.

Well I don't know. They might have misunderstood. Maybe there's not a midi PORT on it. Most midi these days is transported via USB. But their customer service is among the worst. They mean well. I think they just need to hire more people. They've made some serious errors with me.

Update and Correction

Sooo, after even the UA rep told me their devices aren't MIDI controllable, I decided to buy a cheap used Solo card just to try the plugins anyway. After installation, I opened some of them in Reaper and found that all the parameters are effortlessly controllable by MIDI cc from external controller hardware. Why UA doesn't say this is beyond me. It is hurting their sales.

I am blown away by the quality of these plugins. The EP-34 sounds exactly like my old Echoplex. The only shortfall is its behavior when you rapidly reduce delay time by moving the virtual record head faster than the virtual tape. But even that is still the closest approximation I have ever seen. The Studer A800, Empirical Labs Fatso, Ocean Way room sims, Dimension D, and every other plugin I've tried so far have exceeded my expectations. The difference in quality/realism between these and my Waves/etc. plugins is undeniable.

I've decided to by an Octo, as using a Studer sim and Neve/other channel strip on every track, along with Ocean Way, eats up the DSP rather quickly.

Off I go to build what I hope will be a reasonable Hyperspace Pedal with the EP-34. Reaper offers VST feedback loops via its old buffer save/restore plugin (so I can process the EP's feedback), and the latency of the UA gear is tiny enough not to slow down even the fastest repeats.

I upgraded to Apollo 8p recently and got a free Octo satellite as part of their promotion.

Might still be going on.

The Pultec EQ's, the 1176 collection, the LA2A collection and the Fairchild collection are amazing as well. I use their EMT plate reverb a lot too.

Perhaps they're not MIDI controllable in a stand-alone state, as in the UAD Console. Control by MIDI might require a DAW.
I seriously doubt that. But for it to be controlled by midi may not require a midi CABLE. Midi is transferred through USB these days. So sure, if you have a device with only a midi cable and no USB, you've got an issue. Normally all that means is you have to buy the right adaptor.

I seriously doubt that. But for it to be controlled by midi may not require a midi CABLE. Midi is transferred through USB these days. So sure, if you have a device with only a midi cable and no USB, you've got an issue. Normally all that means is you have to buy the right adaptor.

Indeed, and it can be used locally.

I just opened one of my UA plug-ins in Console; it doesn't seem to have any learn or assign functions. However, it can certainly be automated within Logic, which offers MIDI control. I guess that's what UA were referring to when they were talking to OP. MIDI control requires additional software.

The UAD System Manual states that you need a DAW to host. Perhaps this is inaccurate as well. I haven't tried the Console alone. In any case, there are many threads on the official UAD forum from people who, like me, are under the impression that the parameters can't be automated externally with MIDI controllers. If I were UAD, I'd at least make some small effort to inform users that all parameters are available for external MIDI control using most common DAWs. I was willing to risk some money on their hardware to find out, but not everyone will be.

System Requirements
All Platforms (Mac & PC)

• 6 gigabytes available storage
• Internet connection to download software and authorize UAD plug-ins
• Compatible VST, Audio Units, RTAS, or AAX 64 plug-in host DAW software
• Quad Core i7 or better processor recommended

It might be specific to Apollo vs. the PCIe cards? (I've got two cards too but only started using Console with Apollo).

It might be specific to Apollo vs. the PCIe cards? (I've got two cards too but only started using Console with Apollo).
I think you are correct.

FWIW, I've been blown away by these plugins. The Fairchild compressors on setting 1 can squash a signal into a pancake (wouldn't want to, but it can) with no pumping whatsover. Even when processing very deep floortom flams or bass drum along with a ride cymbal, the cymbal never audibly pumps. Amazing that old tech could perform so well. The Studer A800 plug is now something I won't mix without. I've tried many tape emulators over the years, and none of them stack up to this.

I think you are correct.

FWIW, I've been blown away by these plugins. The Fairchild compressors on setting 1 can squash a signal into a pancake (wouldn't want to, but it can) with no pumping whatsover. Even when processing very deep floortom flams or bass drum along with a ride cymbal, the cymbal never audibly pumps. Amazing that old tech could perform so well. The Studer A800 plug is now something I won't mix without. I've tried many tape emulators over the years, and none of them stack up to this.

Try M/S processing the master buss with the Fairchild 660.

Also try the EMT plate reverb. Stunning replica.

Reactions: mwd
Back
Top Bottom