Doable? Effect depending on what note you play but...

psst

Inspired
But playing same time other notes.
To put this easy and simple case, imagine playing first string and fifth string at the same time, and imagine I want delay just on the first string.

Is it doable? I've given it quite a thought, using pitch as modifier, etc, but no luck.
What I thought is two separate paths, one with delay and another without delay. Then I should be able to "remove" the higher string from one of the paths and oposite.

Thanks in advance.

I created an octaver effect and adjusted the mix-level based on the pitch. So the higher I got on my fretboard, the more of an octaver effect I got. In the lowest pitches I didn't have any octaver at all. It sounded great and I think you can realize something similar too.

What you should realize if you use pitch based effects is that it cannot distinguish between strings, only pitches. Your idea is doable but I'm not sure if you get the desired effect since if you only put delay on the first 12 frets of the low e-string you will still also trigger the delay up to the first 7 frets of the a-string. If you add a modifier based on pitch to the mix of the delay you might be able to create what you want.

psst said:
But playing same time other notes.
To put this easy and simple case, imagine playing first string and fifth string at the same time, and imagine I want delay just on the first string.

Is it doable? I've given it quite a thought, using pitch as modifier, etc, but no luck.
What I thought is two separate paths, one with delay and another without delay. Then I should be able to "remove" the higher string from one of the paths and oposite.

Thanks in advance.

You need something like the roland vg series for that. You need a polyphonic pick up and a device that can process it. Otherwise, there isn't a good way to separate the strings.

IronMan said:
I created an octaver effect and adjusted the mix-level based on the pitch. So the higher I got on my fretboard, the more of an octaver effect I got. In the lowest pitches I didn't have any octaver at all. It sounded great and I think you can realize something similar too.
The difference is that you are not playing at the high end *and* the low end of your fretbaord at once. So this method works if you're playing different pitch notes distinctly, but *not* if you're playing both high and low at once. Java explained it well - for this, you need a hex pickup.

It's what I thought, but you never know, that's why I asked.
Thank you for the help anyway, guys!

Hi Timmy, thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think it will work. The crossover will let some frequencies out, but not separate strings. All the string have high and low frequencies content.
I was just thinking there would be a way to "separate" strings just because the pitch block can handle chords, so it has to have some kind of logic for that. But probably you can't access there to do something like what I wanted to do.
Thanks anyway!

is the new technology or algorithm used in the
new polytune from tc electronic 1 step closer
to being able to do this? it seems to be able to
recognize each individual string through a regular
pickup. is it possible that this technology
could be the "one" that guitarists have been
waiting for instead of using a hex pickup. could it
be used for midi guitar?

Only thing i know that can distinguish between Is the axon mkII, which is similar to the roland thing the other guy mentioned. I owned one for a year or so and it has the capability of having a sound for each string and also the fret board can be split into four different sections per synth sound. Jump to 1:30 and it demonstrates the synth with fretboard and string sections per synth sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM0_kdUSndk

lilbman said:
is the new technology or algorithm used in the
new polytune from tc electronic 1 step closer
to being able to do this? it seems to be able to
recognize each individual string through a regular
pickup. is it possible that this technology
could be the "one" that guitarists have been
waiting for instead of using a hex pickup. could it
be used for midi guitar?
I don't think it could. Cliff explained how it works pretty well in another thread.

Back
Top Bottom