Do you think tube amps have a real future?

Do you think tube amps have a real future?

• Yes

• No

• Just for some tube amp freaks

Results are only viewable after voting.
After 13 years of FAS modeling (and at least so much to go) I just got me a Fender Blues junior "modded" tube Amp and I'm getting a second one soon. Absolutely sounding awesome.
Tubes are still great and so the numeric way is. Yes tubes got bloody expensive, prices doubled over the last 10 years but there's something about a tubeamp+speaker that we won't find elsewhere. Still I won't bring tube amps for cover gigging on podiums, they never will have the versatility that my FM3 has. But for small bars I think these little tube combos are a real sonic asset.

Around these parts, we have folks dressing up in costumes and carrying muskets!
https://www.thehistorylist.com/travel/top-historic-battle-reenactments-this-year
Wow, impressive! My daughter used to participate in a medieval act, a lot of fun though for the passionate. Will leave an Amp, an old guitar plus strap, a jeans, a rotten t-shirt, leather boots and a pair of sunglasses to my grand grand children so they can participate to a Woodstock revival in 2067.

I almost bought a second triplexxx head. Someone had a nice one for 500$ I should have jumped on it but then where would I be buying the fx3!

But yea some of the prices out there are stupid high!

I almost bought a second triplexxx head. Someone had a nice one for 500$ I should have jumped on it but then where would I be buying the fx3!

But yea some of the prices out there are stupid high!
Can probably find a few for that i imagine.

Can probably find a few for that i imagine.
And I may! By far one of my favorite amps. I got mine because a guy couldn’t dial it in thinking it was like a normal amp 1-10 but the controls are active so noon is the starting point. Their loss may gain! Half stack either side of my bed! Yes!

After 30 years with plexi tube amps I switched to modeling amps like Marshall Code some years before and to Fractal Audio Axe Fx III some month before. I'm totally happy, don't miss anything and love the sound, features and possibilities. After Covid-19 and vacuum tube delivery crisis I don't see a future for tube amps anymore. More and more guitar players switch to modelers, Gibson (Fender?) has issues to sell their expensive guitars because there are no guitar heros anymore (like in past) and chinese guitars are better then great for the price. Marshall stopped the Code 100 Head series and tries to sell old tube amps again and again. Fender releases modelers too and think about switching so solid state amps more and more. The old rocker generation more and more die out. Well, I think in future new or modern guitar players will use chinese guitars and modelers (hopefully by Fractal Audio). Just have a look at modern live concerts or you tube videos (w/o tube amp influencers) . No Gibson, no tube amps. What do you think?
I think with the popularity of 20 watt tube amps and reactive load boxes tube amps will be in the future! Don't forget there is a niche market place with the HiFi world that use tube powered amps! Unless tubes are no longer made because of whatever reason tube amps will still have a place in this world, to the degree who knows.

"When grandpa talks about the war" - You don't live in a passive house and you don't have an electric car, right? Welcome to 2024! ;)

I think with the popularity of 20 watt tube amps and reactive load boxes tube amps will be in the future! Don't forget there is a niche market place with the HiFi world that use tube powered amps! Unless tubes are no longer made because of whatever reason tube amps will still have a place in this world, to the degree who knows.
Yes, I think we're seeing a shift to smaller amps, but a market will always exist. There are some very good sound bites in this video by JNC. Take a few seconds of your time and listen to Robben's comments beginning at about 2:40. I always like it when commentators verbalize thoughts that were somewhere in my mind but just never really pursued and JNC does that with his comments about the large cabs seeming to be a thing of the past (I think he says they "had their moment").

Yes, I think we're seeing a shift to smaller amps, but a market will always exist. There are some very good sound bites in this video by JNC. Take a few seconds of your time and listen to Robben's comments beginning at about 2:40. I always like it when commentators verbalize thoughts that were somewhere in my mind but just never really pursued and JNC does that with his comments about the large cabs seeming to be a thing of the past (I think he says they "had their moment").

Like I said I hope their right I am primed and ready to start chasing half and full stacks!

Like I said I hope their right I am primed and ready to start chasing half and full stacks!
Meaning you want to buy on the cheap? That's what Yngwie did when he amassed his hoard of Marshalls. They had fallen out of favor and he scarfed up everyone he could find.

Back
Top Bottom