Do you think Metallica is using Dyna-cab live?

CactusTone

Inspired
These live tones are straight up phenomenal:

Does anyone know whether Metallica is using Dyna-cab? Probably heavily influence by the engineer and equipment being used, but this sounds even better than the fairly recent in-studio Stern performances.

I guess I don't hear anything special about them. The tones are ok. I just don't think they're good tones for Metallica. This is obviously subjective, but to me, they haven't had good live tones [for their music] for years. No idea what amps and settings they're using now, but doesn't do it for me.

I guess I don't hear anything special about them. The tones are ok. I just don't think they're good tones for Metallica. This is obviously subjective, but to me, they haven't had good live tones [for their music] for years. No idea what amps and settings they're using now, but doesn't do it for me.
Lol. They have the best sound system money can buy (Panther) and their live rig produces the clearest, most palatable metal tones ever in a stadium setting. They have an iconic sound. Taste is one thing, but saying the tones are "ok" is ridiculous. 🤷‍♂️

Lol. They have the best sound system money can buy (Panther) and their live rig produces the clearest, most palatable metal tones ever in a stadium setting. They have an iconic sound. Taste is one thing, but saying the tones are "ok" is ridiculous. 🤷‍♂️
No, it's opinion. I don't think the tones are great either. They are probably made to be palatable, like you say, but they definitely sound less crisp than the album tones. I don't care how expensive their gear is.

I was at that gig!

Firmware was released like 10 days ago and they're in the middle of a world tour so no way they're doing that. As M@ said, they use custom IRs anyway.

As for "it's not the album tones" well obviously not, the albums have multi layers, eq and all sorts going on. Plus each album is different. I reckon if you pumped the album stems through that PA, it'd sound like mush anyway.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that Metallica uses their own custom shot IR's to replicate the tone they got using their isocabs. James very much strike me as a creature of habit and from what i remember reading Metallica spent a lot of time achieving the they considered to be thier tone out of their iso cabs, and when it came time for the Axefx they shot ir's of those iso cabs in order to replicate the tone.

Of course I smoke a lot of pot, so i could just be making all of this up too..... ;)

Back
Top Bottom