Do you still need 4x12 cabinets onstage??- Rosanna (TOTO) final guitar solo

Sounds great Marco, as always, and yes great playing too!

But since you're talking about live amp sound, I actually thought you got a little buried part way through that clip, 1:30 or so and on.
Could still hear you, but it didn't have the cut and impact and detail of most of your stuff.
Not sure why, or it it was like that in the room, and I 100% don't mean this as a criticism of you yourself, just not an ideal mix, IMO.

Last edited:
Thank you Guys but please... as I wrote the audio is get by iPhone microphones in the hand of my son...
You should skilled enough to understand the quality is very low and it strongly depends of the position of the iPhone.
Consider the compression of the recording too when the drum start to play loud.

But since you're talking about live amp sound, I actually thought you got a little buried part way through that clip, 1:30 or so and on.
Could still hear you, but it didn't have the cut and impact and detail of most of your stuff.
Not sure why, or it it was like that in the room, and I 100% don't mean this as a criticism of you yourself, just not an ideal mix, IMO.
Great playing indeed!. By 1:25 you're drowned out by the drums, that wouldn't happen with a 4x12! :D
His FOH feed was easily keeping him in the right spot in the mix; This audio is just the audio bleed from the stage.

This was a good example of how to use the Elis.8 as his onstage monitoring from the modeler and reminded me how good they sound when they're turned up. I think that was the entire point of the video.

While I like Marco's playing (stellar as usual) I'm a bit confused about the purpose of this vid. I understand it's been recorded with a mobile so the sound should be ignored. When turning off the sound what's the point ?

Drums will Always always take over any phone recording when filmed up close. I stopped using phone recordings to alter my tone for this reason

I played my last gig with a wedge FRFR in front of me. It was SO much better than a big cab behind me. Also, separate monitor out and FOH out means that I can alter my wedge volume as required and not affect FOH. Win!

Agree with others that the guitar gets completely buried in the mix by the drums and keys. Great playing but not a great example to support a no-4x12 approach.

Props for your young fella Marco on the recording, but you should never be recorded on a phone! Your tone, and playing, is too damn good! 44.1kHz or better! :)

Thank you Guys but please... as I wrote the audio is get by iPhone microphones in the hand of my son...
You should skilled enough to understand the quality is very low and it strongly depends of the position of the iPhone.
Consider the compression of the recording too when the drum start to play loud.
I agree @Marco Fanton !!!
I use anything from dual sidefill JBL EON715's to those combined with a Laney LFR212 FRFR and I have shared the stage with guitarists with anything from digital to 1x12 and 2x12 tube combos, and even 4x12 cabs powered by very high powered tube amps. Even if I have to push it a little, I have no problems keeping up and cutting through a mix either!

If the 4x12 guys and I were to get into a full tilt volume war, anyway, everyone in the venue would be half deaf before the night was over. LoL!

Always love your contributions!

everyone in the venue would be half deaf before the night was over. LoL!
thank you for this.
I think the guitar people of new century should change his mind and start to think as an audio engineer.
The intention of my post is to give my small contribution to work in the direction to improve of the sound on the PA, on the mainstream, on the recording.
Having a "big sound! on stage doesn't mean to have a big sound on the PA. I like to have the best sound under my finger but I HAVE to be sure the same sound arrive to the audience :)

Back
Top Bottom