Do you still need 4x12 cabinets onstage??- Rosanna (TOTO) final guitar solo

With guitar cab you can’t simulate the cabinet who is the relevant part of the sound.
I agree. If you are only using amps that work well with the one cab, it would be fine I imagine. I use different cabs with different amps, though. FRFR works "better" for me. Whatever works!

I love using my 4x12s with my old tube amps. Seems near impossible to gig with them anymore. Venues around here will ban you so quick these days, its crazy. I see guys getting a "talking to" when using a princeton or blues jr. Unbelievable. FAS gets me all the sounds at whatever volumes I can still get booked with.
I've seen you many times with your AFX Dramelot when you were back in San Antonio. You always had killer tones and great chops. I think I remember you having some wedges with you. Were they the CLRs or Red Sounds? I am about to get some, myself.

I’ve been wrestling with the concept of going FRFR but the one thing I keep coming back to is: what about when I’m doing a gig where there’s no guitar through the PA and the stage volume is all the crowd will get of my guitar? How would that work? Has anyone in this thread had experience with this?
I have done a couple with the cheap headrush 12s in stereo. They are "2000 watts" (yeah right). I have never turned them all the way up. It would be insanely loud. I can beat most FOH with these, if I needed to be redidulous. The fidelity is not top notch, however. I am ordering a stereo pair of these Elis 8s. I will post some helpful info as soon as I can get some quality gig time in them.

I love using my 4x12s with my old tube amps. Seems near impossible to gig with them anymore. Venues around here will ban you so quick these days, its crazy. I see guys getting a "talking to" when using a princeton or blues jr. Unbelievable. FAS gets me all the sounds at whatever volumes I can still get booked with.
I've seen you many times with your AFX Dramelot when you were back in San Antonio. You always had killer tones and great chops. I think I remember you having some wedges with you. Were they the CLRs or Red Sounds? I am about to get some, myself.
Hey J, seen you rip on the Journey stuff very well on vids . Bouncing from CLR's to 4x 12 w EVM's lately. Learning lessons and a never ending quest for nirvana for bigger live shows, Fractal is a dependable and reproduceable tool. Keep rockin brother!! If you decide on FRFR, CLR are the best IMO. I will still use them, and buying another pair when Tom says avail!!! I cant quite afford or justify Meyer.. someday!!

Last edited:
I think I am going to go FRFR, I am considering the Elis8. I've been doing some research to try and understand how best to use FRFR, etc... I watched your video on how to use an FRFR with a digital modeler (I will post the video below for anyone interested, it is very informative.) I do not understand one thing from your video. You mentioned not to high cut around 1:06:01 into the video. I always understood that a guitar cab and speaker is tuned to filter out frequencies above around 5-6KHz and we should usually look to cut freqs that are too high. If you or anyone else knowledgeable would please further explain this, I think this is important to get the best possible tones from FRFR.

I think I am going to go FRFR, I am considering the Elis8. I've been doing some research to try and understand how best to use FRFR, etc... I watched your video on how to use an FRFR with a digital modeler (I will post the video below for anyone interested, it is very informative.) I do not understand one thing from your video. You mentioned not to high cut around 1:06:01 into the video. I always understood that a guitar cab and speaker is tuned to filter out frequencies above around 5-6KHz and we should usually look to cut freqs that are too high. If you or anyone else knowledgeable would please further explain this, I think this is important to get the best possible tones from FRFR.

FRFR means Full Range Flat Response, why should be the high or low cut!?
With digital modeler, any guitar player enter in a new "unknown" dimension: the audio professional.
Should be very important to train ourself and invest our time to this world, to try to switch our mind like a sound engineer.
We will discover the real nature of the sound

Last edited:
I’ve been wrestling with the concept of going FRFR but the one thing I keep coming back to is: what about when I’m doing a gig where there’s no guitar through the PA and the stage volume is all the crowd will get of my guitar? How would that work? Has anyone in this thread had experience with this?
How will it work? You put your FRFR behind you pointing at the audience and turn up the volume. I’ve done it many times.

I run dual EV PXM-12MP cabs on occasion, and turn one, or both, on their side so the speaker fires straight forward. I can put the second one on top of the other firing forward also, so it looks like two 1x12 cabs stacked. Each cab is capable of putting out over 125 dB so they can get plenty loud. Indoors that’s too loud and outdoors there should be a PA capable of handling the load.

Last edited:
With digital modeler, any guitar player enter in a new "unknown" dimension: the audio professional.
Should be very important to train ourself and invest our time to this world, to try to switch our mind like a sound engineer.
Right, I've had to learn a lot about sound engineering since I went digital modeling last year. But to be clear, if we are going FoH, it is best to not high cut because the sound engineer will handle that? But if we are only playing through our frfr, we should cut high frequencies above what a guitar speaker would put out? Thanks for your time on this as I really want to get this correct.

Right, I've had to learn a lot about sound engineering since I went digital modeling last year. But to be clear, if we are going FoH, it is best to not high cut because the sound engineer will handle that? But if we are only playing through our frfr, we should cut high frequencies above what a guitar speaker would put out? Thanks for your time on this as I really want to get this correct.
Well, good question.
Many people ask me if my presets are fitted for FRFR or FOH or Headphones or monitors etc...
I try to answer with this sample: " When you buy a CD do you ask to the seller if it is good for your HiFi stereo? or Your car audio system? or you hedaphones etc?
Everybody assume the sound engineer work hard to get the best mastering and let the record to be listened in every system.

With digital modeler is the same concept.
We should learn to handle our sound like a sound engineer, because modelers can do this.
What is very important is to select your REFERENCE audio system: studio monitors, Headphones where you can create the sound in the same you listen the music you love.
test your sound in any of these systems and you will have the most usable sound.

When I create my preset I use my headphones, than studio monitors, than Car Audio and of course I test on live stage,
Tipically the sound engineer doesn't tweak anything and let the left right in total flat mode.

This is valid ONLY if the sound engineer is good and the PA is tuned for the ambient.

The most stupid sentence I hard from analog guitarist is "I am afraid to use digital modeler because the sound is different in any PA...."
Do you think the using of Analog system the sound on a bad PA is better!??!?!?!
Maybe you have good sound on stage, but the audience will hear bad sound!! It's logic!!

My english is bad but I hope you understand
:)

I don't really understand this. I'm no audio engineer or producer but isn't it very common for those folks to apply high and low cuts (and various other EQ) to guitar tracks when tracking/mixing to ensure they sit better in the mix?

I don't really understand this. I'm no audio engineer or producer but isn't it very common for those folks to apply high and low cuts (and various other EQ) to guitar tracks when tracking/mixing to ensure they sit better in the mix?

A sound engineer will apply boosts and cuts where needed during mix (not tracking). Most amateur bands are bound to play in bars with questionable or no PA systems and sound guys. In that case you might have to do it yourself.

with digital modeler you can shape your tone like audio engineer, just cutting low and high freq, but, how to do it it is a matter of audio professional knowledge.
Of you course you can let the sound engineer to do it, but the problem is the using of FRFR systems to monitoring.
If you are not skilled about this topic you make lot of confusion.
I receive questions like "are you presets good for XYZ FRFR speakers??" and this is a non sense question.
Guitar people consider an FRFR system like a 4x12 Marshall with Greenback or V30... and this is wrong.

A guitar amp speaker doesn't contain much information above 6K
Hz does it? Then again, upper harmonics would be there? If using an frfr speaker, do we want any of the frequencies above 6KHz?

I only adjust the Amp block's EQ in the preset, like I would with my tube amp, then I leave the Cab block pretty much alone after I find the IR I like. I adjust the global EQ for my Out 1 which goes to my EVs if they're reacting with the stage and causing rumble by cutting somewhere below 100 Hz.

I've been very happy with the sound I get.

I have a preset that is just the Synth block -> Out 1. The Synth is set to Sine. After I have my rig set up, I'll run it, turn up the modeler to what I think is a reasonable stage volume, then sweep the Synth's frequency looking for sympathetic vibrations. If something starts rattling I cut that area with the global PEQ. My FOH feed is not EQ'd at all, I figure that's the FOH engineer's problem.

The preset is attached. Adjust Out 1 to be whatever your OUT is. Do NOT run this if you're attached to FOH; That could be bad.

Attachments

• Noise gen..syx.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 2
Hz does it? Then again, upper harmonics would be there? If using an frfr speaker, do we want any of the frequencies above 6KHz?
A guitar amp speaker is part of the guitar sound and it is a non linear component.
Every speaker has his own response and Guitarist select the speaker to get a specific sound.
This concept is totally different when you select an FRFR speaker.
You need to have a very linear speaker to understand if your sound is good on the mainstream, PA, etc.
what you get from the modeler outputs it is the same you get from the microphone in the RAW mode.
Sound engineer has to use the eq to fit the sound into de mix, i.e. cutting the low freq and maybe high freq (it depends) but the sound depends of S.E. taste.
Now you have possibility to learn hot to finish your sound and S.E will let it in flat mode.
You are sure your sound will go perfectly on the PA.
This is the reason I like to cooperate with Sound Engineers to understand how they work to shape the tone in the perfect way.
Now my sound is driven to the FOH without any eq and this is the result.

Maybe this sound is not good, but, for sure, it is exactly the sound I produce with FM9 without extra EQ

A bit, but maybe not dramatically. The room might do something with these frequencies, however. Personally, I find some rooms I want a bit more of these. Some rooms not so much. I "usually" set the high cut between 6k-7k. I have an IR I created using some compression, parametric EQ, and a Boss AC-3 for a pretend acoustic sound. It is very useful. I set the high cut for that around 11K. Never know when you might need more or less.

Back
Top Bottom