Do plugins that require iLock still always require purchase of a dongle?

BillyZeppa

Power User
I'm a bit confused about this based on recent comments, and on adds i see for plug-ins in general... :numbness:

I don't know about every plugin (and I'd bet that when it was developed makes a difference), but I can tell you for certain that some plugins that use iLok use a free software based system to lock them. Two of them include CabLab 3 and Eventide's Ultrachannel plugin. I know that the developer obviously has to pay to use the iLok system, but I don't know if it's a la carte solution where it's just a matter of them selecting which method (dongle or software) or they get all the options by default.

I know this is an old post but I have the same question and wondering if anyone knows if I need an iLok dongle for the Steven Slate Drums SSD4 or can I just activate it on my PC and not need a dongle. If I don't need a dongle, do they allow more than one activation because I use a laptop and a desktop?

I'm also thinking about buying Cab-Lab 3 which also uses iLok. I've avoided buying any iLok protected software because of issues I had with Waves a while ago but it looks like the time has come that I'll give it another chance.

It's sad that while I was searching the web, I found tons of results that talk about how to hack or crack the iLok and torrents to download hacked software for free but it's harder to find simple info about if you actually need a dongle or not for iLok protected software. It would be faster for me to just download cracks but the Black Friday sales seem to be really good this year and I want all my software to be legit but I admit I download the cracks just in case I have issues activating software I've paid for or the company goes under.

I forgot to mention when I go to http://stevenslatedrums.com it just shows Black Friday sales and I can't seem to find a way to get into the website to find out more info about the products or listen to any demos. I've tried in IE11, Chrome and Firefox.

As far as I know... all Slate stuff requires a physical iLok

Last edited:
I know this is an old post but I have the same question and wondering if anyone knows if I need an iLok dongle for the Steven Slate Drums SSD4 or can I just activate it on my PC and not need a dongle. If I don't need a dongle, do they allow more than one activation because I use a laptop and a desktop?

I bought SSD4 about a year ago (but at it's normal price, d'oh!) and you don't need and iLok dongle for using it. You can activate directly on your PC! :)
They give you a maximum of 2 licenses.

As I sit here 2000 miles away from the ILok that I neglected to pack, with nice new cabs to mix in the CabLab I now can't use....not a fan of the system.....

Just to confirm, the Steven Slate Drums do not require an iLok, but the other audio plugins do. The Drums have a simple license file that you download and install. I just picked up SSD4 and the CLA add-on for Black Friday, and I got the Everything Bundle a couple of months ago with the iLok. I've resisted iLok, but after hearing so much about the Slate plugins I finally broke down and went for it. No issues so far and they do sound great.

Most of the online stores say you need an iLok dongle for SSD4 but you don't because it uses a license file.

I didn't need one for Cab-Lab 3 either but I did have to download and install the iLok License Manager and then enter the Activation Code FAS sent me to activate it.

I bought Toontrack SD2 and that uses it's own Toontrack Product Manager.

I also bought Cakewalk SONAR Platinum with Lifetime Updates and that uses it's own Command Center.

Back
Top Bottom