Do G3 and Quantum go hand in hand?

deathbyguitar

Power User
Just wondering if G3 modeling tech was something that Quantum was building on, or has Quantum rendered it obsolete? Are the remaining non-G3 amps going to be G3'd?

We don't really know all the in's and out's yet. As I understand and I could be wrong Quantum changed the way tubes were emulated. G3 is much more than just that. So my guess would be everything is just building on G3.

that's what confused me in the first place, how Quantum was thrown in while all of us were waiting for other amps to be G3'd

For what i know, its a different beast we're talking about. The amps are under the G3 modeling technology but the firmware is evolving from 20.0 to Quantum 1.0. The amps are still G3 under this firmware. Again, i might be wrong but i read something in the forum that says just that.

If you move to another house, you can start decorating a painted room, while another room still has to be painted.

If G3 amp modeling was 'decorating a painted room' (ie: closing in on a finished product), what is Quantum doing?

"G2", "G3", "MIMIC", "Quantum"; only Cliff knows what it all means. All else will remain speculation.

I look forward to the Quantum release notes in hopes of a description of what is under the hood and its relationship to G3.

I still don't know the relationship between MIMIC and G2/G3/Quantum.

I'll take a guess:

MIMIC = FAS component modeling algorithms
G3 = FAS automated measurement of Device Under Test to obtain data values for MIMIC model.
Quantum = New algorithms to more closely simulate amplifier dynamic response.

So yes, all three exist together in perfect harmony. in a beautiful cottage with a white picket fence and an oak tree in the front yard.

I'll take a guess:

MIMIC = FAS component modeling algorithms
G3 = FAS automated measurement of Device Under Test to obtain data values for MIMIC model.
Quantum = New algorithms to more closely simulate amplifier dynamic response.

So yes, all three exist together in perfect harmony. in a beautiful cottage with a white picket fence and an oak tree in the front yard.

I kind of agree with that, except the amp models don't use more CPU, so the new algorithms must be a modification of previous algorithms...or a complete replacement of them. In your example, I'd guess Quantum is replacing MIMIC....

I of course have no idea and I try to stay away from discussions like this because it's all a guessing game, but I've been wondering some of these same questions ever since G3 came out.

Sometimes I wonder if this is some giant placebo effect experiment and the FW hasn't changed since FW1, lol.

Last really big change I noticed was somewhere in the early teens. Can't recall which one. It's a blur. But it was the one that changed my mind about amp replacement.

Ever since then I keep wondering how it can possibly get better. It's already, in some cases, more dynamic or better sounding than some of the amps I've owned. I believe that the true improvements now are so subtle as to be nearly imperceptible.

Last really big change I noticed was somewhere in the early teens. Can't recall which one. It's a blur. But it was the one that changed my mind about amp replacement.

Ever since then I keep wondering how it can possibly get better. It's already, in some cases, more dynamic or better sounding than some of the amps I've owned. I believe that the true improvements now are so subtle as to be nearly imperceptible.

I noticed a big change around FW17. To me at least, a lot of the amps got a warmer more tubelike sound. I am not sure I would say Quantum is a HUGE leap forward, but I did notice a definite improvement in sound and feel.

Back
Top Bottom