Implemented Divide "Supply Sag" into "Power Amp on/off" and "Supply Sag Amount"

km 202257

Inspired
First of all, I sincerely appreciate Fractal Audio's hard work for customer support and product development always.
While I'm a fully satisfied owner, I'd be happier if you could consider my request detailed in the following:
  • Functionality in question
    • "Supply Sag" control in Amp block, that controls both on/off of power amp simulation and the amount of supply sag
  • Requested change
    • Divide the control into the following:
      • "Power Amp on/off", that only controls whether power amp simulation is engaged or not
      • "Supply Sag Amount", that only controls the amount of supply sag
    • * The proposed parameter name is just an idea and can be named as whatever FAS prefers
  • Problems to solve by the requested change
    • Those who tweak around the "Supply Sag" (including me,) accidentally hit the bottom of the parameter "P.A. OFF", leading to:
      • surprise, and risk of hearing damage due to a sudden increase of volume
      • risk of damage to a PA system or other equipment after the AXE-FX due to a sudden output increase

I had asked the question as to why sag and p.a. on/off are co-located in the same control - see discussion here - still don't really understand why P.A. on/off is not a separate switch.

I had asked the question as to why sag and p.a. on/off are co-located in the same control - see discussion here - still don't really understand why P.A. on/off is not a separate switch.
Thank you for sharing, I should have searched for the past forum posts more carefully.
That said, I'd still like to keep this thread open as I guess the possible risk of damages I mentioned has not been discussed before. The core of my request is to have sort of a "foolproof" mechanism to mitigate such risks.

Thank you for sharing, I should have searched for the past forum posts more carefully.
That said, I'd still like to keep this thread open as I guess the possible risk of damages I mentioned has not been discussed before. The core of my request is to have sort of a "foolproof" mechanism to mitigate such risks.
Definitely! - My odd brain patterns really want that control to be separated out 😀😀

I see no technical reason to not implement this. It's simply changing how the UI behaves: Limit the knob to a value one notch above "poweramp off" and add a switch that toggles this setting to 0 (poweramp off) or whatever value is set on the knob.

Code:
if (isPowerampEnabled == true) {
   supplySag = supplySagKnobValue;
} else {
   supplySag = 0;
}

Back
Top Bottom