Dirty Shirley Challenge

grape

Experienced
I've been playing around with the Dirty Shirley amp and came across this video:
Friedman Dirty Shirley amp - YouTube

The presence and dynamics of that recording are great. It looks like he's going directly into the amp and has effects post amp (some reverb at least). I haven't been able to match this tone in the AxeFX in dynamics or in the presence... but maybe you can?

Here are the settings he's using.
Presence 5
Low 5
Mid 7.64
Treble 8
Master 1.65
Gain(Input Drive) 4

Clean : single coil neck pickup on Strat
Dirty : single coil bridge pickup on Strat
Dirty : humbucker bridge
finger nail strum, no pick.

You could start with a 1x12 (it's a lynchback). Then turn up the gain when he switches to the higher gain input.

PS there was another challenge posted in 2012:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...e-match-challenge-friedman-dirty-shirley.html

Last edited:
the DS cab is using a Lynchback speaker. if you'd had an IR of one of these you'd probably be close(r)

the DS cab is using a Lynchback speaker. if you'd had an IR of one of these you'd probably be close(r)

Oh yeah, I wasn't listening to him in that part of the video and mixed it up with another demo which did have the other cab. I've updated the OP. I'll try tone matching it.

Oh yeah, I wasn't listening to him in that part of the video and mixed it up with another demo which did have the other cab. I've updated the OP. I'll try tone matching it.
the Lynchback comes stock with the DS cab, so kind of "recommended" by Friedman. I haven't spend enough time with that speaker since it's still quite new to actually compare it to other Celestion offerings, but it definitely has its own sound going...

the Lynchback comes stock with the DS cab, so kind of "recommended" by Friedman. I haven't spend enough time with that speaker since it's still quite new to actually compare it to other Celestion offerings, but it definitely has its own sound going...

I tone matched it and it's closer in tone but the dynamics are completely off. Creating a preset from scratch, matching the settings on from the video, and tone matching to get closer to the cab sound still doesn't come close. Now I'm going to be obsessed with getting this sound (kind of like the Bassman challenge :0)). Unfortunately this was moved to the preset forum when no preset is actually present... and probably will not get much attention. If someone has a real Dirty Shirley to A/B and could post their analysis, that would be great. I only have the video to go by... unless I break down and order the real thing like I did with another amp recently.

I tone matched it and it's closer in tone but the dynamics are completely off. Creating a preset from scratch, matching the settings on from the video, and tone matching to get closer to the cab sound still doesn't come close. Now I'm going to be obsessed with getting this sound (kind of like the Bassman challenge :0)). Unfortunately this was moved to the preset forum when no preset is actually present... and probably will not get much attention. If someone has a real Dirty Shirley to A/B and could post their analysis, that would be great. I only have the video to go by... unless I break down and order the real thing like I did with another amp recently.
well... none of the other DS demos I've heard so far sounds like the one in the video you're trying to match. so who knows what went on there...

Uh ... not unless you missed the video you shared with us and the great Dirty Shirley tones therein. :)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh. I thought I had missed a preset post that you were excited about. And here I was frantically refreshing my screen to no avail :0). Your welcome.

The Dirty Shirley is my go to rock and roll amp in the Axe, I use it in every gig and it cuts great.

In that clip you posted. :)

Yeah I think the Strat sounds better through that amp when he's playing in the trio (8:36 and beyond he switches to the strat). I must admit though, I listen to a lot of amps in isolation and get mesmerized by them. But often what sounds really good to me won't work with a band unless its prominently featured.

The allure of this amp, to me anyway, seems to be in the dynamics combined with the cab's sound. Getting the cab sound is easy, it's the other part that is illusive.

Yeah I think the Strat sounds better through that amp when he's playing in the trio (8:36 and beyond he switches to the strat). I must admit though, I listen to a lot of amps in isolation and get mesmerized by them. But often what sounds really good to me won't work with a band unless its prominently featured.

The allure of this amp, to me anyway, seems to be in the dynamics combined with the cab's sound. Getting the cab sound is easy, it's the other part that is illusive.

Ya know - maybe it would be a good idea to design presets to backing tracks.

Kinda like design for manufacturing ("DFM") only its preset design for mix (also "DFM").

Ya know - maybe it would be a good idea to design presets to backing tracks.

Kinda like design for manufacturing ("DFM") only its preset design for mix (also "DFM").
^^This.

Never trust a preset that hasn't been dialed in with a mix behind it.

Back
Top Bottom