Direct to iPhone 6

You need:
- Tascam iXJ2
- a converter cable with allows you to connect the iXJ2 (which has an iPhone 4 interface) to a iPhone 5 or 6 “Lightning” plug. That little bugger costs over 30 euros here in the Apple shop!
- Tascam’s PCM Rec MK II app (free). Or RODE Rec (a few dollars), for slightly higher sample rate.
- a cable that connects one (mono) or two Axe-Fx outputs (1/4” or XLR) to the iXJ2’s mini 1/4” input.

Then it’s just a matter of running the iPhone’s Camera app (set to video) and record.

You only need to run the PCM or RODE app, if you want to view and adjust recording levels.

Too bad there is not a lightning-based equivalent from Tascam- I have one of those lightning to iPhone 4 cables, but it just seems a little clunky to need that. Is there any other interface that has a lightning connector?

Finally got my Tascam iXJ2 rig running yesterday. Friday, I had all the pieces including a third-party Apple adapter for my iPhone 5, but I couldn't get anything to work. After much frustration, I researched and concluded that it was probably the fault of the cheap, third party Apple adapter I just bought on Amazon. After replacing with the genuine Apple product, everything fired up perfectly. I cannot stress enough to bite the bullet, and pay the $30 to buy the Apple brand apapter. I've been burned so much by third party manufacturers and don't trust anything else to hook up Apple parts. In addition to the pair of 1/4" cable that I have plugged into pin adaptors for the Tascam inputs, I also run a pair of XLR cables to my computer's interface so that I can monitor my sound.

So, the process I go through to make normal videos is:

1. Go to the Tascam PCM App, start the recorder.
  2. Then to the camera app to start the video, stop when done
  3. Go to Photosync ($2.99 app I downloaded and love) and select the video, upload the video to my computer to audition, the program works very fast and doesn't require a direct connection between the phone and the computer.

I got the hang of how to "split" the video to add titles and such in iMovie but I haven't quite caught on yet how to share the project files to my computer, the program share options offers the choice to upload the file to Youtube. I actually had another video I made at a concert last week, so the Youtube upload option proved useful in that case, but I'd like to get the movies into my PC, better yet, I'd much rather do the editing there. My 60 year old eyes hate working in such small areas!

Pro Tools 11 has been giving me all shades of interface fits on my Windows 8.1 computer, so this little gizmo setup is the most hassle-free way I've been able to record decent sound! I think I'll try Yek's suggestion of Rode REC and upgrade the sound quality. Not sure if there is any latency with the video recording, but the monitor signal bypasses any concerns.
:lol

Too bad there is not a lightning-based equivalent from Tascam- I have one of those lightning to iPhone 4 cables, but it just seems a little clunky to need that. Is there any other interface that has a lightning connector?

I have used iRig Pro to record demos to my iPhone while using an external mic and not the internal mic. The device comes with "USB, 30-pin, Lightning, and special 2.5mm to MIDI cables".

It's been a while since Mark posted the initial thread.

Wondering if folks have found same or better alternatives to the discontinued Tascan iXJ2 that allows for the same benefit of recording video and axefx tone via the following signal chain and nothing else: guitar --> axefx --> [iXJ2 equivalent] --> iPhone and headphones into axefx headphone jack for monitoring.

Look again at the comments in Mark's FB post where I asked for cables and he responded. I found everything I needed quickly on Amazon.

All the cables arrived yesterday. I just have to figure out all the apps involved (i.e., apps on the MacBook Pro side and the iPhone 6 Plus side) and I will be good to go for this weekend! [emoji2][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I couldn't find the post where you ask for cables..please do us a favor and post Mark Day's respond to your Q...Thank you so much !

It's been a while since Mark posted the initial thread.

Wondering if folks have found same or better alternatives to the discontinued Tascan iXJ2 that allows for the same benefit of recording video and axefx tone via the following signal chain and nothing else: guitar --> axefx --> [iXJ2 equivalent] --> iPhone and headphones into axefx headphone jack for monitoring.

I never tried this, but I think there are some products you can review for the same flow: Guitar - AxeFx - [Compatible Audio Interface] - iPhone.
For stereo: iRig Pro Duo, SonicPort VX, etc. For mono has more options. Check this link https://www.sweetwater.com/c1058--iPad_iPhone_Interfaces

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom