Wish Dimebag Darrell Rig

trixdropd

Inspired
So that software that rhymes with "attitude" recently released their Dimebag Darrell Cowboys From Hell plug-in.

It sounds pretty good. They got with Dime's tech Grady Champion and he set up the real rigs and let them model.

I don't wanna use a plug-in when I have the Axe FX 3. Please give us the ability to correctly achieve this authentic tone from pantera.

The items needed most are:

Randall rg100-ES and/or Randall Century 100 amps
MXR Flanger/Doubler
MXR 6 Band EQ (does something to the gain that most don't)

I know it's been requested before and I heard Cliff doesn't care about solid state too much, but this is a HOLY GRAIL tone for MANY. Please? :)

We already have a good enough eq. I don't know that the PQ-4 has that much "sound" as much as filters.

But the rg100-es comes alive when boosted hard with the right frequency curve.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love a Randall model also, I really dig those amps, but we can get very close to Dime’s tone with what we have available already.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love a Randall model also, I really dig those amps, but we can get very close to Dime’s tone with what we have available already.

Close yes, but I have an actual Randall here and it has a sound that I can't get otherwise so far.

It's nothing special, it was just a solid state head and two rack eqs mainly. The EQ in front of the head he boosted the peanuts out of the mids to distort the h e l l out of the guitar fundamental, then the EQ in the loop he scooped the peanuts out of the mids to shape that preamp gain into a sledgehammer, just like what a Mark graphic EQ does, just way more extreme. Net-zero peanuts.

Take just a drive pedal and a cab block, boost the mids in front of the drive pedal with an EQ, then cut mids after the drive pedal with another EQ, u will :eek:. Do the same thing with an amp too, you'll get the same :eek: it gets really buttery smooth when you add +12 db to that first EQ's output going into the drive/amp.

It's nothing special, it was just a solid state head and two rack eqs mainly. The EQ in front of the head he boosted the peanuts out of the mids to distort the h e l l out of the guitar fundamental, then the EQ in the loop he scooped the peanuts out of the mids to shape that preamp gain into a sledgehammer, just like what a Mark graphic EQ does, just way more extreme. Net-zero peanuts.

Take just a drive pedal and a cab block, boost the mids in front of the drive pedal with an EQ, then cut mids after the drive pedal with another EQ, u will :eek:. Do the same thing with an amp too, you'll get the same :eek: it gets really buttery smooth when you add +12 db to that first EQ's output going into the drive/amp.

i'm well aware of the gear and the way it was wired and used. The Randall sound itself is unique. Show me an amp block that matches it...

Dime sounded like Dime when he had the RG’s or the Krank’s. Dudes tone really was a bit more in his playing style than an EQ or solid state amp.

I think he could play through most anything and you’d know who it was in a few seconds

Miss that guy. Remember after a tour with White Zombie and Pantera tons of guys where hanging around backstage, hoping to see Dime or Jay (or Sean if we were lucky lol) and of course everyone stayed on the buses, except for Dime, who comes out with 2 handles of 7 and a big 2 liter of Coke. He asked someone to run to catering and find some plastic cups, and then set up on a picnic table a production line of about 30 black tooth grins. Passed them around to everyone, did a toast, said thanks for coming out and got back on the bus. Just a cool kind of dude.

Not too bad, but way flubby low end and I already have a preset that is close to spot on but with a model of the century 200 AND the RG100-es I can get an authentic RTS tone.
Lowend is a tough one. I'm playing through 2 HeadRush cabs. Whenever I download a patch from axe exchange, the tone seems really weak.
I would like to try out anyone else's preset that emulates the century 200 or rg100es

Last edited:
His recorded tone with a Randall SS head would of had no power amp sagging, any amp you try to use that's got a tube power section wouldn't work unless you have the master on 0.03 or something.

A metal zone sounds pretty close to a MXR DD-11, kind of crappy, but the DD-11 doesn't have hardly any top end, it lets the mids have all the bandwidth, so you can hear all the picking meat

@trixdropd i built one with a Metal Zone and a JC120 lmao :laughing:, PEQ in front and PEQ behind the drive. what do you think?? 100% solid state insanity

please excuse the playing, I'm on the artist spectrum, i can't really play i just imitate the sounds like a parrot

Attachments

• d-bag toy rig.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
Sorry, ShatteredSquare, but I don't think that's really a great approximation. The Metal Zone just sounds super fizzly and this is lacking in a lot of the dynamics Dimebag used.

I approached this problem a bit differently. I hooked my Axe III up via USB and used a Youtube isolated guitar track to ToneMatch. Here's the source I used:

My starting amp was the FAS MODERN II. To take it a step further, I think I ran the tonematch twice to get ever so slightly different characteristics (maybe use 2 different parts of the track?). Then, I converted them over to cabs and panned each 100% left and right. A little reverb and delay for soloing and you're done. Plus, it's matched to your guitar's pickups. Can't beat that.

Last edited:
Sounds great dude, the only thing I can tell different from the album to yours is the record has a little more separation/chorusing going on (I'm listening on a phone speaker), the distortion sounds spot on though. What is the master set on with that FAS Modern II?

3:00 OK HOLY CRAP YOU WIN

Back
Top Bottom