Digitech Freqout?

slinky005

Power User
Since getting my Axe II Mk2 I have never gassed for a pedal.
This looks like a must have for those of us who don't use a cab onstage.
Sounds very convincing on youtube.
Anyone who owns one going to talk me off the edge?

I was gasing for this too. It's a really nice one. I managed to talk myself out of buying one because it has some kind of a buffer and doesn't work with my Fuzz Face as good as the fuzz does plugging straight to the guitar.

My bands other guitarist has one. Don't like it. You will need to setup which harmonic it should generate and then it's fixed for the entire song unless you can kneal down and change in the middle of the song. I'd rather use the possibilities built into the Axe to achieve that.

That is the only pedal that I have thought about getting since going Fractal too.

I think that you can get similar results in the unit, but it takes a couple of blocks and a couple of modifiers. And the pedal is far more convenient for making adjustments.

You could use an expression pedal or scenes to control the note being generated? Would love to borrow one to check out in more depth.

Here is an example my condensed (because of CPU) version..https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...nd-huge-discounts.116648/page-17#post-1651973

My bands other guitarist has one. Don't like it. You will need to setup which harmonic it should generate and then it's fixed for the entire song unless you can kneal down and change in the middle of the song. I'd rather use the possibilities built into the Axe to achieve that.
Ah, didn't know that.
I agree, this is a major drawback.
Gas is gone.

The FreqOut actually has modes where it varies between harmonics, called "Natural".

The pedal works very, very well. I have been able to get close to replicating individual modes, but the pedal is still a little ahead.

It’s a really cool and unique pedal and imo your not going to get the same effect out of the axe.

That said, it does get a little gimmicky after a while. Sounds great, don’t get me wrong, but how many songs do you want to do with feedback intros, mid solo feedback etc

I loved mine for a few months but then overdid it lol. Lots of used ones now on the market since people probably found the same thing lol.

Just comes down to how much you think a seldom used pedal is worth. Pete Thorn has one and steps on it maybe once a night, but I didn’t want to invest $180 (new) for a pedal I’m hitting that seldom.

Keep in mind that when you start the “fake” feedback it makes it really easy to kick in real feedback with enough volume

Saying all this, I kind of want to buy another one lol

I have one that I use on my current rig. (My Axe III lands this Thursday). I like OK. It can sound a bit artificial pretty quickly. The momentary switch helps and using the fx sparely. Couple of things to note; it works at low volume and also works on acoustic guitars. Can be made to sound like an ebow, if you want that crazy never ending sustain thing.

I ended up buying another. I run it in a parallel chain with a compressor in front, and keep it engaged, but not getting signal til my expression pedal raises the output level of the comp. essentially it’s like a momentary effect, but I can get it racked and without needing running long cords to the pedal.

I like it ran parallel because then I can run a comp in front, delay after, and have the delays just on the feedback effect only, which sounds really cool and gives more perceived feedback

Back
Top Bottom