Digidesign 003 Rack / Axe Users

steve_k

Inspired
Guys ~ not only am I only scratching the surface with the Axe FX, I just got my Digidesign 003 rack set up too. Running through a Mac OSx system.

Question - How come I cannot get the same volume out of my active monitors when the Axe is plugged into the Digi 003 rack with the monitors plugged in the main monitor outs of the Digi? If I want some background music running through the Digi off of itunes or other media and want to play the Axe through the same set of monitors, seems I should be able to do that with all these widgets. But, not...

I know, RTFM. Working on that too. Seems there should be some way to input the Axe to play through the monitors, record, have recorded music playing back through the 003 rack at the same time. I am wanting to just leave the whole kit rigged this way and not have to rewire to do different tasks. Do I need a line mixer to do all this? Got one of those too if needed.

Thx,
Steve (not a tweaker!)

Hey, Steve. Not entirely sure I'm reading your question right, but here's my answer to how I read it. :D The problem lies in the fact that the audio drivers from Digi (Core Audio Manager), is a single client driver. Meaning that it can only do audio from one source at a time. So for example, you can choose to run audio from iTunes, OR from a Pro Tools session. Unfortunately, it won't do both simultaneously. The real goofy thing here is that I believe the Mbox WILL do audio from multiple clients at the same time. Cheaper interface, not as many bells and whistles....go figure. I don't understand it either. I myself have a 003 Factory and mine won't do this either.

However, there may be a couple of workarounds to your dilemma.....

1. Import the song (audio file) that you want to play along with into Pro Tools as a stereo audio track. That way, you're not using iTunes anymore. It would now become part of your Pro Tools session. (Kind of a pain, I know. But this does work.)

2. If your monitors have multiple inputs, (say 1 pair of 1/4" and 1 pair of XLR) use one pair coming from the 003 and another pair coming from the Axe-Fx. I'm not entirely sure this will work. If one set of inputs is being used, it may cancel the other set. But it's worth a shot I suppose.

Hope this helps you out. If you need any additional information on Pro Tools and it's quirks (and there are more than a few), head over to the Digidesign user's forum at www.digidesign.com. There are many helpful people on that forum that would be happy to answer any questions. Good luck and enjoy your Axe-Fx!!! :mrgreen:

I use a little Soundcraft mixer ("compact 4") into which I run:
- L/R outputs from the 003
- Audio out from the PC
- L/R outputs from the AxeFx
... and the output from the mixer goes to the studio monitors.

The AxeFx also runs the digital outputs to the 003. This gives me zero latency monitoring when tracking guitars (the digital output is the one being recorded, but I'm actually listening to the other signal).

Another advantage is that I can run iTunes or Media Player straight off the computer output and mix in with the AxeFx if I want.

(Also, on a PC iTunes doesn't play happily with the 003 and ASIO drivers).

I do miss the source/mix control from the mbox though... came in handy for stuff like this. But the addition of a small, good quality mixer helps.

Chris

Thanks guys for both your replies. I dusted off my CAE Dual Stereo Line Mixer and put it in the rack. Axe L/R outs to line mixer in + 003 main monitor outs to line mixer in. This takes care of music coming off itunes to the monitors and Axe to the Alesis monitors (only 1 source input) for noodling around without setting up the amps. Now, for recording with the Axe, I should be able to come off the mixer outs to the DI inputs on the 003 (1&2) and record/hear that over the monitors. Or will I need a power amp for the Axe? Waiting on PT8 upgrade to finish downloading then will check it out. My small recording rig just keeps getting bigger! Or, just plug straight into PT and use the recording software. This is a whole new realm of tweakdom for my technically challenged ass!

Steve

Hey again, Steve. I've never had to use a separate mixer in any incarnation of any of my rigs. So I can't speak to that. But I see no reason to have to use the Axe-Fx with a poweramp to get it into Pro Tools. I go straight into my 003 from the Axe via XLR and it sounds sweet! Just remember to have cab sims AND your helmet on while in Pro Tools! :D

By the way, you're going to love PT8 when it's done downloading. If for no other reason than the new UI is SO much easier on the eyes. Cool new VIs as well. Remember to make sure all your plug-ins are updated as well. Cheers!

Don't forget you can use the Digi003 with Garageband as well. You don't need a poweramp for the AxeFx.
Plug the outputs into the Digi003 and use GB. Create 2 mono tracks for your Axe and pan them hard left and right. Don't forget to choose then proper Digi003 inputs in GB so you can monitor the AxeFx. You can drag any audio file into GB and use it as a backing track.
Also in GB there are plenty of Apple loops to get you started with recording and writing and the interface is much easier than PT's to get some instant gratification :)

Mark

Got things up and running, but I have these HUGE latency issues between Axe->003->Speakers. Can't figure where the problems lie. Tried TRS, TS, XLR - no change. I am sure it is something simple and right in front of me. Anyone have this problem?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Based on all that you've written, I really think that you'll benefit from using a small to medium sized mixing board as the front end to your Digi003 as well as the centerpiece to your studio. I have two Digi002R set-ups and I use a Mackie 1604VLZ Pro in front of one and a 1604VLZ3 in front of the other.

The benefits to using a mixer (if set-up and connected properly to your other equipment) will include:

The ability to play your Axe-Fx (or any other gear) through your studio monitors without having Pro Tools running or even having your computer on.

The ability to monitor your Axe-Fx (or any other gear) while recording in Pro Tools with zero latency (mute the record enable channel in Pro Tools and monitor the source signal directly at the board--BTW, latency in Pro Tools will depend on various factors, especially the buffer size that you have set).

The ability to run audio from iTunes or other apps on your computer (if Pro Tools is not running) through your studio monitors and simultaneously play through your Axe-Fx (or any other gear).

The ability to optimize your recording levels going into Pro Tools and view this using metering (LED meters in the case of my boards).

The ability to optimize your output levels from Pro Tools (and other apps on your computer) to your studio monitors.

Additional mic pre's, EQ, and the ability to mix and route your audio

And quite a bit more...

There are different ways to run this type of set-up, but this is how I do it:

Connect the main outputs of your mixer to your studio monitors

Choose any combination of the following:
A) Connect the direct outputs for channels of your mixing board to the inputs of your Digi003
B) Connect the subgroup outs of your mixing board to the inputs of your Digi003
Using the direct outputs allows you to have a hard connection of those channels directly into Pro Tools. This is good if you have 8 or less sources. Using the subgroups allows you to have a routable connection directly into Pro Tools. This is good if you have more than 8 sources, and will not use certain sources at the same time. A combination of the two is usually preferable.

Connect your Pro Tools monitor outs (not main outs) to a stereo aux return on your board (if you have spare channels, you could route this way instead).

Connect your Axe-Fx and other equipment to your board's inputs.

Connect any additional outputs from Pro Tools to your board's inputs and/or aux returns.

Label your board.

Label your board.

Label your board. ;)

Go into Pro Tools and label your Inputs and Outputs in IO config.

Optimize levels by running a 1 kHz sinusoidal test tone, pink noise, or something into your board and soloing the channel so it levels at unity (0dB). Adjust your preamp trims on your Digi003 so that they are equivalent to your non-preamp equipped channels. Keep in mind that you are dealing with line level signals here, not mic level. Also, be mindful of the +4/-10 switch on the Digi inputs if your levels are not looking right. Make adjustments until unity gain on your board is also unit gain in Pro Tools (or 80% of metering height is a good place to be).

Now create an instrument track in Pro Tools and use the signal generator to create a similar test tone. Output this to your main outs (monitor outs will recieve same signal) and any outputs you have connected to your board. Adjust levels at board until meter show them each at unity. Remember to set levels in PFL solo mode with the trim control and not in some other way or with the faders. If you are optimizing levels for an aux return with just a single level knob, adjust that. If you have your monitor outputs from Pro Tools connected to an aux return on your board, set the return knob to unity and solo this return. Adjust your monitor level on the Digi003 until you see unity at the board. Never touch this knob again! :shock:

That's it, in a nutshell. A bit of work, but not too much really. And it's something you only have to do once (unless you touch something that you shouldn't). Now life is good. You can hear anything through your studio monitors as long as it is assigned to L-R (or the main mix) and you adjust your studio monitor volume via the main faders(s). You can adjust level of anything by manipulating the faders and you will be set for basic recording levels as long as whatever you connect to your board gets PFL solo'd and its levels properly set.

If this is all a bit confusing, pick up some books on recording and sound engineering. You'll pick it all up in no time. Unfortunately, if you are deathly afraid or hate this type of stuff, then you either have to learn to cope with it or make friends with someone that is into all of this. ;)

Hope this helps!
-Matt

If in Pro Tools, try (menu) Setup->Playback Engine and lower the hardware buffer size. Probably starts at 512 by default... 256 is tolerable but go 128 or even 64 if your computer will do it without spitting up errors.

Chris

Matt - thanks for taking the time to write up that post. Excellent stuff and yep, I agree. I am getting a Digi control surface once in stock.

Chris - will give that a shot dude.

Thanks again...
Steve

stratcat said:
If in Pro Tools, try (menu) Setup->Playback Engine and lower the hardware buffer size. Probably starts at 512 by default... 256 is tolerable but go 128 or even 64 if your computer will do it without spitting up errors.

Chris

Chris - thanks mate. Took it down to 128 and things are great with no latency.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom