Difficulty with MIDI and upgrading firmware

Glauben

I am trying to upgrade to the new firmware from 9.03 using an M-Audio Delta 1010LT card with MIDI ins/outs. I am also using Axe-Edit (most recent version) and on the Windows 7 OS platform. Axe Edit shows that I am transferring the files, and the AxeFx window on the actual unit shows transfer as well....until about 20% completed....then the Axe-Fx stalls, but Axe Edit shows it is still transferring files. When it is completed, the firmware still shows 9.03 and says I need to check my MIDI connections.

I can't tell if this is a driver problem for Windows 7, for M-Audio, or just settings that need to be adjusted within the Delta software. I had this setup running perfectly on my last firmware upgrade when I was running Windows XP. Could Windows 7 be the culprit?

Would appreciate any insights or recommendations.
Thanks in Advance.

Win7 works fine for me... using both Midisport 2x2 [Anniversary] and UNO.
Suggest you adjust MIDI settings in AxeEdit.
Try leaving the buffer size at 256 and increasing the delay to 90 or 100 ms.
If that doesn't work, reduce buffer size to 128 and leave delay at 90ms.
Seems to work with those settings under Edit .171

s0c9,
Thanks for the advice. That did not work for me. I am still getting about 25-30% there, only a smidgen more than before...then the transfer just stops and the AxeFx progress bar resets to 0.

Any other suggestions??

I've used the M Audio AP2496 (same midi as yours) to upgrade since April of 2009. Works great. Drivers a re rock solid here on Win7 x64. Unless the Delta is defective, it's not the cause. I have said the very "unscientific and untechnical" approach before, Fi or some strange reason irt works for me. I go into the audio\midi settings and change the midi input-put it back, click on the midi test button, fool again with the input and outputs and 9 out 0f 10 times when I go back to the midi test button it says Getting version info or what ever and then it works. Maybe it's clearing up some clogged info, or whatever. But it works.
Strange I know! Has no technical basis whatsoever :) except ot works for me

Hi, I have a similar problem.

I try to make MIDI-OX send the signal to the output midi channel of my keyboard (Axiom 49).
Is that supposed to work? When I press a key, the AXE receives "midi in", however when I send
midi signals from the computer (usb->keyboard->axe), the AXE doesn't seem to respond at all, even though
MIDI-OX says it's being sent to the output channel of my keyboard.

Help is appreciated!

Thanks

Kjutte said:
Hi, I have a similar problem.

I try to make MIDI-OX send the signal to the output midi channel of my keyboard (Axiom 49).
Is that supposed to work? When I press a key, the AXE receives "midi in", however when I send
midi signals from the computer (usb->keyboard->axe), the AXE doesn't seem to respond at all, even though
MIDI-OX says it's being sent to the output channel of my keyboard.

Help is appreciated!

Thanks
If the keyboard does not have a MIDI THRU port.. it will not work. You would need to hook it up like this..
TWO midi cables.
usb->keyboard MIDI in
keyboard MIDI THRU->Axe

FYI - MIDI will not go from IN->OUT on same device. It's either IN, or OUT. In other words, sending MIDI data for a 2nd device to the IN port on the 1st device will do nothing - even if the OUT of 1st device is connected IN port on 2nd device. It's ignored on the 1st Device as the two device Id's will be different. It will NOT automatically be send to the OUT port of the 1st device and onto the 2nd.
This will only happen if there is a MIDI THRU port - as shown above.

Thanks bro!

That's without doubt my problem.
I bought one of those USB to MIDI thingies :)

Thanks again!

Stratman68 said:
I've used the M Audio AP2496 (same midi as yours) to upgrade since April of 2009. Works great. Drivers a re rock solid here on Win7 x64. Unless the Delta is defective, it's not the cause. I have said the very "unscientific and untechnical" approach before, Fi or some strange reason irt works for me. I go into the audio\midi settings and change the midi input-put it back, click on the midi test button, fool again with the input and outputs and 9 out 0f 10 times when I go back to the midi test button it says Getting version info or what ever and then it works. Maybe it's clearing up some clogged info, or whatever. But it works.
Strange I know! Has no technical basis whatsoever :) except ot works for me

I don't seem to have a problem getting version info...or whatever. The problem is the version coming up as the previous version (9.03). This is expected, of course as the Axe Fx main window has already stopped transferring data around 25% and reverts back to 0 (or no progress). The other thing I'm noticing is that the Midi In "idiot light" does not illuminate (in the Editor). I really would not expect it to illuminate, as all the data is going from the PC to the Axe. Also, I'm running the latest Win7 drivers.

The IRQ settings show that my M-Audio card is shared on IRQ16 with the Standard PCI to PCI bridge. Is this a problem?

I had to give up on my Delta 2496 card in Win7 x64. It was doing the same thing you're describing - it couldn't send long sysex messages (ie: the Axe firmware) without having output port stall at some random point during transmission. I tried EVERYTHING. Every freeware midi program I could find. Dozens of transmission settings. M-Audio/Avid at first refused to provide any support... until I threatened to post their refusal on these forums (which I did anyway - serves them right). They then proceeded to try and blame the problem on the AxeFX, my computer (which works fine - I built it myself), my midi cables; everything but the obvious culprit, which is their drivers.

I had this same problem back when I was running XP, but was able to roll back the Delta 2496 driver to an earlier version, which worked. However, there is only one driver version for Win 7, so if it doesn't work you're out of luck. Clearly it works for some people, but not me. Actually, if you check on the M-Audio forums, they're currently dealing with a significant user backlash against their most recent drivers, which seem to have a host of problems; not just midi.

Just today I received and used a $10 midi to USB cable from Ebay to successfully update the firmware, so that's the route I'd recommend. Also, please don't give M-Audio $50 for an Uno... it's the same damn thing for 5 times the price.

Regrading the shared IRQ on your computer: this *could* be the problem... it's not a problem from a windows point of view (otherwise your device manager would show an IRQ conflict), however M-Audio's poorly written drivers might not function right when sharing an IRQ. This is a trick problem to fix... normally your computer's BIOS assigns IRQs automatically at startup. You CAN go into the BIOS and assign them manually, thereby giving the Delta 2496 an IRQ all to itself. But if you mess this up your computer won't boot, and you'll have to open the case and use an internal jumper to reset the BIOS... So if you aren't comfortable doing that then it's not an experiment I'd recommend.

Coldstar,
I have had ZERO luck with M-Audio Drivers on Win7 (Ult x64).. they flat out DO NOT WORK !
I completely removed them from my PC (AMD Phenom, built myself too FWIW). Rebooted.
Then I connected the USB end of the UNO (I've had it for years) to the PC and let Win7 install its OWN drivers.
Changed MIDI buffers/delay sizes to suit the Axe-Fx and it works like a charm !
Again.. NO M-Audio drivers. I checked which device drivers were installed BTW, and they show as Microsoft.

Yeah, Microsoft's own Win7 MIDI to USB drivers evidently work great. Other UNO owners would be well advised to uninstall their M-Audio drivers and try just using Microsoft's.

On one hand, I don't want to be too hard on M-Audio for their driver problems - I mean the Delta line is something like 7 years old at this point, and I can't imagine that Microsoft is as helpful with them in the software development process as they would be with, say, NVidia. But on the other hand, their product support is pretty abysmal and their in-house testing appear to be really sub-par. They've had a LONG TIME to develop proper drivers for these cards, and to be blindsided by serious functionality problems after such a long development cycle speaks to either a disrespect for their customers or (more likely) problems at the company.

Back
Top Bottom