Difference between Axe-FX III Standard DSP module and TURBO DSP module, +25% Clock Speed

Rodgero

1. Is there a definite major noticeable Difference between Axe-FX Standard DSP module and TURBO DSP module, +25% Clock Speed to justify paying $200 more for the Turbo version.

2. When you buy AXE FX III how can you know which version you have-- Standard or Turbo version----it looks like there is no decal or insignia to distinguish which version you have

Is there a definite major noticeable Difference between Axe-FX Standard DSP module and TURBO DSP module, +25% Clock Speed to justify paying $200 more for the Turbo version.
0 tonal difference, but a noticable difference in the amount of
of processong that can be packed into one preset. Imo - spending a little more to get the max processing
power whenyur already all-in for the flagship is a no brainer.

I think the additional DSP is the only difference. Whether that's worth the price is up to you. Even though I'm not pushing what my MkI can do, if I were buying today I'd get the Turbo. If I'm paying $2,300+, it's with the intention of getting several years out of it. Paying $200 more for the latest, greatest version helps ensure I have as much additional runway as possible.

I believe the boot screen on the Turbo says Turbo.

Last edited:
Although $200 is pretty insignificant when you're already spending $2,300 (roughly 8% more), the extra CPU is not really needed. Since there are so many open preset slots, you don't need to do everything is one preset. Even my craziest kitchen sink preset maxes out around 80% (barely touching the red).

Having said that, if I were buying today, I'd get the turbo (don't have turbo - wasn't available when I bought).

The newer faster version has Mark II physically on the front nameplate under the AXE FX III logo, if it just says AXE FX III you know it's mark 1
That doesn’t indicate whether or not it’s a turbo. You can get a Mark II that is NON turbo. The way you‘ll know is from the boot screen, which tells you its a turbo, and also the diagnostic text on boot up that shows the faster processor is installed.

I just bought mine last month and opted for the turbo. I’m shocked at how much cpu reserve there is on most presets and am happy knowing I can do much more if I want to. But the real reason to get the upgrade is right here:

1. Is there a definite major noticeable Difference between Axe-FX Standard DSP module and TURBO DSP module, +25% Clock Speed to justify paying $200 more for the Turbo version.

2. When you buy AXE FX III how can you know which version you have-- Standard or Turbo version----it looks like there is no decal or insignia to distinguish which version you have
When one turns on an AXE FX III with Turbo the splash screen (start-up screen with the logo and the boot-up progress bar) shows that it is the TURBO version of the unit.

Last edited:
Having owned a Mk II and now a couple of Turbos, I can assure you there is a discernable difference.

Some pre-planning on how your preset development journey will look over time will help predict future needs. For example, about a year ago I started experimenting with double tracking and this became addicting. All of my presets now double track my guitar. I'll even throw in IR transform such that one sounds like a completely different guitar. Suddenly, the audience is hearing a strat and a tele, or a strat and a PRS and thinking we have a second guitarist. This can be very cool, but now, out of the gate, I have at least an IR block or two, two amps and two cabs and I haven't gotten to the icing, yet. Start throwing in some effects, 12-string simulation capabilities, feedback simulation, virtual capos, multi-band compression and suddenly you can find some creative ways to max out even a turbo.

I acknowledge I am an extreme case, and one could argue that I don't need all of that on each and every preset and they would be correct. But having a turbo allows me to run one template that I use across all presets, which greatly simplifies my midi control structure and post FW release updates. This is probably the most important to me since I also run a preset per song. You can imagine that preset standardization immensely simplifies my life. I share my case example just to provide some food for thought while you are making a decision.

The DSP speed is shown on the screen for a second or so at boot up before the logo screen shows. It shows the firmware version and below that it will say (2) 1.0 GHz Processors detected for Standard units or 1.25 GHz for the Turbo units.

There will be a discernible difference if you’re maxing out a preset on the standard version, then using the same preset on a Turbo. Whether of not you use/need that real estate come down to your presets.

681DF253-B9C2-4CC4-A3F2-98B0F03D9E56.jpeg

Last edited:
What’s IR transform? What kind of IR can make your guitar sound like another guitar?

Tone match. It can get you some of the character of a different guitar or pickups, but there's more to it than just EQ/frequency response. Same goes for acoustic guitar IRs. They help for sure but don't expect it to sound exactly the same.

At the risk of asking a potentially stupid question, does the extra Turbo horsepower reduce the audio gap when switching amp block channels? Does it decrease latency in pitch shifting? Or is it purely for people with super complex presets who were maxing out the standard III?

At the risk of asking a potentially stupid question, does the extra Turbo horsepower reduce the audio gap when switching amp block channels? Does it decrease latency in pitch shifting? Or is it purely for people with super complex presets who were maxing out the standard III?

I did not notice any difference in switching or latency between the Mk II and Turbo. Unfortunately, I sold the Mk II, so I can't do a direct comparison.

The only real difference I have picked up on is indeed the capability to run more complex presets. Other than that, the Mk II and Turbo seem exactly the same.

IMO it's unnecessary for everyone but the few who make very complex presets. I have a hard time eating all the CPU my regular Axe-Fx 3 Mk2 offers. I'd put that $200 price difference towards a FC controller instead because that's going to be a lot more useful in most cases.

If you want to use FullRes IR's, then the Turbo is the right choice. If you don't then it becomes a question of how complex your presets are and what quality options you are selecting for reverbs, cab block preamp, etc.

When I recently bought my first Axe-Fx 3 Mk II I thought paying the $200 to upgrade to the Turbo version (which is a small percentage of the total price) was a “future proofing“ action. Fractal has a reputation for issuing frequent updates and I wanted to be ready to take advantage of any new high DSP using features that may be added.

Back
Top Bottom