Difference between Axe-FX and virtual instrument programs

I think the problem I had just had to do with the amp sim in the software.

But I plan on recording direct because I think that is going to give me the cleanest and best recording quality. I did try micing my amp, using an interface, and record that way. But the sound I got was no better than just using a small digital voice recorder. So really poor quality.

I thought the Axe-FX II has amp sims so it sounds like you recorded with a mic from a 4x12?

Anyways, whats the best setup for recording from the Axe-FX II into the computer? I know it has USB, but I think some people record a different way and may be better quality than USB. As I know USB is slow on data transfer compared to Firewire.

You can still record direct but the point I'm trying to make is while recording direct you may find that things will sound better when you have a amp playing towards your guitar because of the previous effect I stated. The amp doesn't have to be recorded it's just there to resonate your guitar and yes the axe has cab sims and mic sims.

As for data transfer of usb, yes it's slower than firewire but the data still hits the DAW in the same way. Usb has no difference in quality unless you have bad drivers/latency or you get dropouts/clicks or pops which I hear a few people get with the AXEFX through usb. Honestly I would get another high quality interface usb or firewire and record the axefx analogout to the interface. Some would argue that I'm adding extra AD/DA conversion but sometimes the Axefx usb is finicky from what I hear. Also the Axefx is locked at 48khz so if it's important to you to record at another sample rate you need a new interface.

How is the reliability on the Axe FX II? I know it only has a one year warranty. And normally I buy extended warranties on things like laptops and always have to use it. It's alot of money to just have a one year warranty.

If I had recorded it, wouldn't it sound the same when listening to it back through headphones anyways?
If you record it with lots of room volume, the recording will sound very different than it would if you record with no volume at all.

How is the reliability on the Axe FX II? I know it only has a one year warranty. And normally I buy extended warranties on things like laptops and always have to use it. It's alot of money to just have a one year warranty.

The Axefx is no laptop but it is a piece of technology and like all technology it will be replaced for something with more power but not at the rate of normal computers. The axefx is solid and if you take care of it, it will last. People are still using the old Axefx Standard.

As for warranties, a normal tube amp usually only comes with 1 year manufactures warranty unless you get extended coverage from the retailer. If it's a lot of concern get a quote from a reliable music equipment insurance company. I don't know any good insurance companies nor do I have any experience with getting one maybe someone can chime in because I'm interested.
I found one here don't know if they will cover the Axefx they seem to cover general audio equipment so I would guess they do. https://www.musicproinsurance.com/pages/instrumentAndEquipment

The Axefx is no laptop but it is a piece of technology and like all technology it will be replaced for something with more power but not at the rate of normal computers. The axefx is solid and if you take care of it, it will last. People are still using the old Axefx Standard.

As for warranties, a normal tube amp usually only comes with 1 year manufactures warranty unless you get extended coverage from the retailer. If it's a lot of concern get a quote from a reliable music equipment insurance company. I don't know any good insurance companies nor do I have any experience with getting one maybe someone can chime in because I'm interested.
I found one here don't know if they will cover the Axefx they seem to cover general audio equipment so I would guess they do. https://www.musicproinsurance.com/pages/instrumentAndEquipment

If Sweetwater sold it, then it'd come with an extra year warranty.

From looking around, it looks like there are a ton of these preamp/amp sim units out there. Like from Line 6, Digitech, TC Electronic, etc.

I went ahead and ordered it. I'll see how it goes. Which from the sounds of it, it's supposed to be the best amp modeler. So, if it works out. I may look at selling the 4x12 since I don't use it much anyways, and use that to get some monitors or something.

Last edited:
If you record it with lots of room volume, the recording will sound very different than it would if you record with no volume at all.

I'm gonna try that....
I've always recorded via cans...

I'm going to do a simple take.. one cans... and one with the monitors giving it some spudz...

I went ahead and ordered it. I'll see how it goes. Which from the sounds of it, it's supposed to be the best amp modeler. So, if it works out. I may look at selling the 4x12 since I don't use it much anyways, and use that to get some monitors or something.
It's hugely unlikely that you'll be disappointed. Check back after you get it, and let us know what you think.

I'm gonna try that....
I've always recorded via cans...

I'm going to do a simple take.. one cans... and one with the monitors giving it some spudz...
Eagerly awaiting your report. I think you'll like the added sustain and feel, and what it does to your sound.

Back
Top Bottom