Difference between Atomic CLR wedge and cab active

raporter

I am intersted in getting one of these Can anyone tell me the difference
will the wedge be to bright as it points upwards or would I be better off getting a straight cab.
I play the Axe 2 in my jam room 3m by 4m sq
Thanks

The response of both speakers will be flat across a 90° angle. These speakers are intended to be heard within that 90° "sweet zone." If you're listening way off axis (by more than 45°), they'll sound darker than what FOH hears.

You should tweak your sound to be good in your face. Or else FOH going to be shrill.

Like Rex said.

He says he plays in his jam room. He didn't say anything about playing to FOH
Fair enough. But there's still the "sweet spot" where the speaker is intended to be heard. His jam room is probably even more of a hostage to reflections than most venues, so it's even more important to be in that sweet spot.

The wedges have presets too, designed by Jay, for operating as a floor wedge, backline on its side like a cab or free field on a pole stand.

The wedges are cool in that the controls are still in a good spot even when using the wedge like a cab for backline.

Fair enough. But there's still the "sweet spot" where the speaker is intended to be heard. His jam room is probably even more of a hostage to reflections than most venues, so it's even more important to be in that sweet spot.

Hi Rex! I agree, I put cork plugs under my QSCs and Cabs to direct them better, but my room is a nightmare, I'm sure :) 20130301_121939.jpg Would you have any suggestions how to approach room treatment? I know I need to start by removing everything that rattles ... don't want to hijack the thread ...

Thanks for the replies decided to go with the Active Wedge Can't wait to try it

You won't regret. I just recently bought 1 wedge from Independent Music in Brisbane. I went there and Andrew let me try and compare the active wedge and the active cab.
For me there was no difference in sound and I liked the flexibility of the wedge, so I took one home with me. When I have the spare money I go and get me another active cab.
Btw. Great service and Andrew is really a nice guy.
Cheers

Would you have any suggestions how to approach room treatment? I know I need to start by removing everything that rattles ... don't want to hijack the thread ...
First recommendation: pull your speakers out of the corners of the room. Corners are the boomiest, muddiest locations for speakers.

I stole the following from Universal Acoustics' treatment guide:
Universal Acoustics Room Treatment Guide said:
How to Acoustically Treat Your Room

Step 1: Corner Bass Trapping

Low frequencies build up in the corners of your room - so that is the best place to attack them with Mercury Bass Traps! Placing 600mm Mercury Bass Trap in each vertical corner is recommended - starting at the ceiling. The 300mm Mercury Bass Traps should be placed between wall/ceiling horizontal junction, on the front wall (i.e. the wall you face while mixing) and on the rear wall. If you have doors or windows near your vertical corners that prohibit you from placing Mercury Bass Traps as described, simply place them horizontally along the junctions between the walls and the ceiling as best as possible.

Step 2: Early Reflection

Reflections that arrive at your ears within 80 milliseconds of the direct sound are summed by your brain and cannot be distinguished as a separate source. This can be problematic during recording or critical listening applications. While sitting at your listening position, have someone move a mirror along the front wall, side walls and ceiling. Anywhere you see the speaker’s reflection is a good location for Mercury Wedge Tiles. The halfway point between the speakers and your listening position on the side walls and ceiling will be crucial along with the front wall located behind the speakers.

Got my active wedge yesterday and wow Played for a few hours last night
the dispersion is the winner really really good I thought my monitors sounded great until I got this one.
Money well spent.

540924_10151295254811404_1150377500_n.jpg

Cab for the win!

Attachments

• 540924_10151295254811404_1150377500_n.jpg
    540924_10151295254811404_1150377500_n.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom