Did I make a mistake?

Matt Steele

Experienced
I decided to purchase an Axe FX II. I put my name on the waiting list, but while waiting, I noticed a video by Mark Day on You Tube showing off the Axe II along with the Matrix poweramp. The video stated that I could purchase everything from Tone Merchants so I called them up and made the order for both the Axe and poweramp.

I was told they didn't have any Axe FX's on hand but planned to get them in late last week/latest early this week. I was like... GREAT! I don't have to wait for the waiting list. But now here it is the end of the week and I have no confirmation of them sending anything, and I'm just starting to get a bad feeling about this purchase. I'm feeling like what I was told was probably too good to be true.

I probably should have asked this before placing an order but has anyone else here dealt with Tone Merchants?

Thanks...

Tone Merchants of Hollywood California is an authorized showroom/dealer for Fractal Audio Systems.
I think you are safe.

Tone Merchants is safe....now that doesn't mean that there may be a little bit of a delay or something due to whatever, but that happens with anyone. It'll sure be faster than the wait list.

I have purchased from tone merchants, and I have had no problems with them. I am sure they are not going to rip you off. That being said, they still have to wait for Fractal and Matrix to send them the gear. Due to high demand, there might be a delay.

I was very satisfied with getting the Axe II from them. They even offered to and loaded the new firmware for me without my asking, were patient about gear questions, etc. I couldn't be more happy with them as a place to buy music gear. I don't think you made a mistake at all.

WOW! Thanks for all the replies guys.

I look forward to being a happy Fractal Audio customer and participating community member. This already appears to be a very happy and helpful group.

I've bought a couple things from Tone Merchants' I had to wait on 1 item. Communication isn't their strength, but I would buy from them again and would not worry about a little delay.

Been using TM since back in their early days down in Orange off Collins. Got a few Suhr items there. Not suhr if they are apt. only any more, but was the way it was in Orange. Great guys with the best gear only. The Antonym of Guitar Center!!

Love the mini concerts they put on for their customers as well. (And some kick butt NAMM show parties as I recall)

You are good man

I bought my first Fractal, an Ultra, from them. I had to wait a minute too. But it was quick. I agree communication isn't their stronge suit, but I had no problems whatsoever.

UPDATE... Just a refresh... I ordered the Axe II and Matrix poweramp on May 28th, when I was told they would receive and ship units later that week or latest the beginning of the next week. That was fine with me. I called them this Tueday (three weeks later)and I was told they still haven't gotten the units from Fractal. The person I was speaking to wasn't very kind concerning how Fractal was dealing with them, "dicking them over" was the term used. This did not ease my worry concerning the situation.

I was told, "as long as I payed", I would be on a list they have. I was a bit put off by this. I was like... IF I payed??? You guys HAVE MY MONEY! I already payed in full! I was told then... well then yeah, I'm sure you're on the list. So here I am almost a month later with nothing, and there's no idea of when I will be receiving my items.

If I knew business was going to be run like this, I would have just waited on the Fractal waiting list.

Some people say they have had a good experience and others not so much. I had communication issues with them not responding. Before and after the sale. They disappear.
Seems to me unless you are building an entire setup and have a recording contract you are put second.
I don't deal with them any longer. Not worth my time. Just my experience with them. Others may have a different experience.

Ouch...not very cool for the only US (to my knowledge) distributor bad mouthing their supplier. I remember TM having some not-so-kind words for FAS shortly after the II launched, but I thought they had kissed and made up.

Don't worry though...you'll get what you paid for. The question is...WHEN??

Ouch...not very cool for the only US (to my knowledge) distributor bad mouthing their supplier. I remember TM having some not-so-kind words for FAS shortly after the II launched, but I thought they had kissed and made up.

Don't worry though...you'll get what you paid for. The question is...WHEN??

Exactly. I don't like being pushy, but in a situation like this, I made the decision to buy, when I did, based on what I was told by TM regarding when I would be receiving the items. I'm feeling helpless in the situation, and upset. I guess I'm just venting my frustration here.

You guys made me feel a lot better with your replies to my thread, but after my last phonecall with TM, I'm heading back into a very unsure place. I think I'm going to have to look into cancelling the order and getting my money back soon.

For what it's worth, fractals wait list has been steadily getting shorter. It was about 6 weeks for me, and I think I've seen people report 5 weeks more recently. Especially if you already put yourself on the list recently, it may not be much of a wait.

While I was on the fractal list, I tried to contact TM to see if I could buy from them sooner, but they didn't respond to emails. Their online ordering system is totally broken too, so I just don't think they're all that interested in remote sales. Admittedly, I could have called them, but I just decided to wait and go direct from fractal. As it turns out, fractals wait was shorter than the ~9-10 weeks I was expecting when I signed up.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk 2

For some reason, despite ordering stuff online all the time, and sometimes on the phone, I didn't even think of ordering from Tone Merchants. I would get your money back, man - and not be mixed up in whatever drama they might have going - and get it direct. You'll probably pay less, too.

wow this surprises me. I got my matrix from TM last year and they were very helpful and communicative. I got my amp three days after the order, but I guess I got lucky? good luck with getting this resolved and sorry for your hassle.

Back
Top Bottom