Did Anyone Ever Try the SKB Fly Racks?

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hi guys,

Happy holidays to you all. Sorry for another rack question but I just wondered if anyone has ever bought the SKB fly racks to use with the Axe III? I'm thinking of getting rid of my heavy 8u rack case and getting one. Either the 6u fly rack with pelican case or the 4u studio flyer. Does anyone own either of these by any chance? I'd love to see some pics with the Axe in either of them.

https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=1168&o=&offset=&c=80&s=80

https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=1113&o=&offset=&c=80&s=80

Thanks guys

Paul

I got turned off of the fly racks when I saw George Lynch’s rack got mangled from the airlines. He only had two Roland sde’s in there.

Last edited:
I got turned off of the fly racks when I saw George Lynch’s rack got mangled from the airlines. He only had two Roland she’s in there.

What's a roland she?

What do you recommend instead of the fly racks? Cuz I mean the airlines are gonna mishandle EVERYTHING anyways....so if there's something else better, that would be great!

I have the 4u version, nice rack case!

The fly versions are typically gonna be bigger and heavier, so that's something to take into consideration

Hmmm maybe a 6u rolling rack is the answer then. I do like the pelican fly rack though I must admit.

I'm never gonna fly with it I just like the idea of something lighter than my 8u. I decided to take my 3u drawer out and put all my cables etc in one gig bag.

That just leaves my Power conditioner, Axe III and my matrix GT1000 1u. Although I kinda of like the idea of the SD power stage 170 as well. I was gonna get one to use with the FM3 anyway. So that could free up 1 rack space that way a 4u is all I'd need. Kinda of don't want get rid of the Martix yet though lol

Is there room at the back to put a rack interface panel with the cable tails on your 4u?

I'm interested in folks thoughts on the SKB cases too as I'm considering getting this one for my III
https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=790&o=&offset=&c=114&s=80
Does this have TSA latches? Doesn't appear to.

Doubt it matters though, because it doesn't actually lock, just latch, so they can just unlatch the cover(s) to examine the contents.

Am I understanding this right?

And jsut to ask the basic question, an Axe III fits front-to-back, right?

I purchased 2 of these 1SKB-R6UW 6U SKB cases, which also come in 4U (1SKB-R4UW).
I love the fact that the wheels are on the back cover and all the gear rests on the rack rails when transporting.
Sturdy yet lightweight. And no wheels to contend with when sitting on top of a cab.

Attachments

• sku_view_image.png
    sku_view_image.png
    230.7 KB · Views: 41
  • sku_view_image (1).png
    sku_view_image (1).png
    629.3 KB · Views: 38
I use an SKB 3i-2317M146U rack with my AxeFX III rig. It's ATA approved, and quite light for it size. I'm happy with it, and would recommend that others check it out.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-3i-2317m146u-iseries-removable-fly-rack-case

Good to hear thanks for the response, what's space like at the back when the axe is mounted? Is there much room left? I'd like to put my 1u interface panel with all my connections on at the back and was worried about the cables sitting on the bottom of the rack.

Good to hear thanks for the response, what's space like at the back when the axe is mounted? Is there much room left? I'd like to put my 1u interface panel with all my connections on at the back and was worried about the cables sitting on the bottom of the rack.
There is enough room to leave everything plugged in. I have an interface panel in the back of my rack, and everything fits nicely. My interface panel is not mounted directly behind the AxeFX III, as the AxeFX is mounted at the bottom of the rack, I wanted those connection points to be at the top. I'll take a photo of my rack later today when I get to the studio.

There is enough room to leave everything plugged in. I have an interface panel in the back of my rack, and everything fits nicely. My interface panel is not mounted directly behind the AxeFX III, as the AxeFX is mounted at the bottom of the rack, I wanted those connection points to be at the top. I'll take a photo of my rack later today when I get to the studio.

Sounds like just what I'm after to be honest. Can't wait to get rid of my heavy 8u rack case. A photo would be great. Thanks so much I really appreciate it.

Yes! That is the same basic setup as the existing case, but the OP was going to have SKB product a variant that would also carry the FC12 (a good idea!). I carry my pedalboard separately, as it has 2 EV-1 expression pedals with it, and it's more manageable for me to have them in a separate flight case. The "rack in side a carrying box" concept behind these racks is really great. It avoids the weight of a traditional shock rack, and provides much of the same protection. I used a six-space ATA shock rack for a while, and it weighed over 60 pounds empty. It was a beast, but ridiculous to manage when loaded. When we tour (and other people are handing my gear), everything goes into standard ATA cases to meet insurance / union reqs. When I'm handling my own gear, I use the SKB case.

Here are a couple of pictures of the back of my rack. You can see that the AxeFX III is sitting in the bottom of the rack, and there is enough room behind it for all the connectors (I prefer to use right-angle connectors, but straight ones will also fit), along with (1) the power supply for my RJM MMGT10, and (2) a Digitech Frequout pedal. I have two patch panels in back. The upper one is for my wireless guitar (diversity, thus two antennae), and wireless IEM. The lower panel is for Power in / out (via PowerCon), MIDI, USB, and audio interconnects. Total setup time once out of the case is about two minutes, which includes plugging in the XiTone wedge.

IMG_2158.jpgIMG_2160.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pictures of the back of my rack. You can see that the AxeFX III is sitting in the bottom of the rack, and here is enough room behind it for all the connectors (I prefer to use right-angle connectors, but straight ones will also fit), along with (1) the power supply for my RJM MMGT10, and (2) a Digitech Frequout pedal. I have two patch panels in back. The upper one is for my wireless guitar (diversity, thus two antennae), and wireless IEM. The lower panel is for Power in / out (via PowerCon), MIDI, USB, and audio interconnects. Total setup time once out of the case is about two minutes, which includes plugging in the XiTone wedge.

View attachment 61557View attachment 61559

Thanks for the pics much appreciated. That looks very tidy. I might have to cut my interface cables so they fit but it looks like it will all work. I used to have the GT and the phantom power box I just recently sold it, happy with the FC12 at the moment. So that's one last thing to worry about.

I only have about 7 tails on my interface panel so it shouldn't be a problem. I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the SKB.

Thanks again for your help

Back
Top Bottom