Did Anyone Ever Try the SKB Fly Racks?

That setup looks very nice! I am looking at doing something very similar but putting it in a larger skb case so that I can fit the FC-12 as well. A few questions:

1. Are the handles of the rack very sharp or are they think enough to grip comfortably with gear weighing down the rack?
2. You say the setup is very light, but by my math with the fly case your looking at 66 pounds. Am I off?

I’m trying to fit everything in one container but I’m now starting to think that weight makes this less practical. Adding the bigger case and the fc-12 the weight would be 82 pounds. Ouch!

Thank you, much appreciated. The handles are fairly smooth I have no issues with them I'm literally not holding it for long just till I lift it out of the case and put it where it needs to go. It's light compared to the big heavy 8u case I used to own that's probably what I meant to say in my previous post. It's on wheels so it does help a lot. I don't think it weighs 82 pounds but I could be wrong. It's probably something only you'll know when you load it up and put it in the case.

I hope that helps a little sorry I couldn't give more info.

Cheers
Paul

Thank you, much appreciated. The handles are fairly smooth I have no issues with them I'm literally not holding it for long just till I lift it out of the case and put it where it needs to go. It's light compared to the big heavy 8u case I used to own that's probably what I meant to say in my previous post. It's on wheels so it does help a lot. I don't think it weighs 82 pounds but I could be wrong. It's probably something only you'll know when you load it up and put it in the case.

I hope that helps a little sorry I couldn't give more info.

Cheers
Paul
Thanks Paul! One last question. Are you using pass through connectors on the back panel or soldered connections. I’m curious if I’ll have enough room to do pass through connections.

Thanks Paul! One last question. Are you using pass through connectors on the back panel or soldered connections. I’m curious if I’ll have enough room to do pass through connections.

That's an old pic in my original post, I had another updated rack interface panel made a little while ago and they are all soldered connectors. I've tried to show some pics for you. The connectors are encased in their own sections which stick out a little. You might have just enough with pass through connectors.

My other power conditioner has been in for repair since the lock down so ignore the mains plug and adapter plugged into the top of the power conditioner. It does all fit into the rack normally. I ended up using my spare as I thought I had gigs to do but then they all got cancelled.

IMG_0415.jpegIMG_0416.jpegIMG_0417.jpeg

That's an old pic in my original post, I had another updated rack interface panel made a little while ago and they are all soldered connectors. I've tried to show some pics for you. The connectors are encased in their own sections which stick out a little. You might have just enough with pass through connectors.

My other power conditioner has been in for repair since the lock down so ignore the mains plug and adapter plugged into the top of the power conditioner. It does all fit into the rack normally. I ended up using my spare as I thought I had gigs to do but then they all got cancelled.

View attachment 68129View attachment 68130View attachment 68131
Awesome! Thanks Paul!

I have an SKB iSeries rack case. It seems to be very strong, and built really well.

Unfortunately, on my 3rd flight with it, the airline monkeys still managed to damage the expensive gear inside (not an axe - Prism interface, Earthworks preamps). I won't be flying with it again, regardless of how strong it looks. I think they need to start making racks with crumple zones.

• Wow
Reactions: jon
I use the SKB 3i-231714GFX, which fits the FC12 on top (had to remove some of the foam on the insert though). Built this during COVID so I haven't actually used it on the road yet, but we've flown a lot with similar SKB cases like this and I prefer them to Pelican.

Attachments

• DipticExportSaveLocation.jpg
    DipticExportSaveLocation.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8624.jpg
    IMG_8624.jpg
    995.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8626.jpg
    IMG_8626.jpg
    854.4 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom