Did a comparison between my FM3 and a Quad Cortex

@Admin M@

Oh FFS........ REALLY helps is you turn PC to on....... I never even thought to look, just assuming it would be on by default.

Bit odd though as preset 1 is actually accessing patch384 - 2 then accesses 385 etc. Even If I go to presets 1 first manually it just strait to those numbers - they kind of leads me to think it will only access those presets (ie you cant manually change a bank location) but as the AFX3 doesn't use banks - it may be different in this regard. OR - im doing something else equally dumb as I have been for the last year testing and researching.

Receipt of Program Change messages is on by default in all of our products. You must have accidentally turned it off.
As I mentioned above, without a Bank Select message, incoming PC messages will be routed to their corresponding entries in the current bank, based on any preset you select manually.

000-127 Bank A
128-255 Bank B
265-383 Bank C

So if you want PCs to map to 000-127, just turn first by hand or foot to any preset in that range.
theres something odd going on.

it doesn't matter which preset I start on, the synth always accesses 084 (1st prest in bank 3 from the manual?) even if I select patch 0 first.
I can access higher numbers using teh PC offset (so an offset of 128 access's patch 512 - but I cant access anything before 384.

If I turn PC mapping on, it doesnt matter what I physically st those 2 - patch 0 on synth access patch 0 on AFX, patch 1 accesses 128, patch 2 access 0 again, patch 4 accesses 128 again and it keeps toggling those 2.

AS i dont intend to use the AFX3 for the synt, thats what the FM3 would be for - and as the synth in question isnt the one Im testing with (though same manufacturer and apparently works teh same way), results currently are only slightly relevant. The most relevant being it does at least access 100 patches (as the synths banks are 100 large) and I can access higher ones using PC offset (not as easy as just selecting a bank - or a preset in a range but would be fine).

Assuming its either something Ive done in the last 3 years or so since having the AFX3, or something funky with the synth Im testing with - and a new synth and new FM3 would work correctly, then its the solution I think.

Certainly enough to grab the FM3 first (as its the cheapest part and can function with synths I do have and as a pick up and go option to my AFX3).

If I run into issues down the line once bits are in - I can EMail and work to find the issue/solution at that point.

EDIT

Tested with another synth (again same manufacturer) and get exactly the same results - so its not the synth as such - it might be what there kicking out. Seems off that with midi mapping on it just toggles between 0 and 128 - thats patch one in two different banks (bank 1 and 2) but with PC off it directly access all patches in bank 4 (384 onwards) regardless of which patch the AFX starts on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom