Did 3.7.0 make a fundamental change in cab selection

zenaxe

Fractal Fanatic
I'm confused. This AM I updated to 3.7.0 but selecting cabs seems broken. I know there was a new feature implemented with regard to the filtering so that is cool but the simple act of selecting a new cab from the regular list seems to not work as expected.

If you click on the cab name in the cab block it brings up the new cab menu but if you select a new cab it does nothing (doesn't load/demo it and doesn't go back to the cab block just sits there dumbly with the window still open and the 'new' cab highlighted but the old one underlined). The only way to get it go back is to either: close the window in which case it does not select the new cab or to double click the cab in which case it selects the new cab but also depending on where the mouse is, will select something underneath the spot you clicked in the underlying editor window.

I can't even remember how it worked before because it just worked; but it's basically unusable for me now.I think it selected the new cab and closed.

I'm confused. This AM I updated to 3.7.0 but selecting cabs seems broken. I know there was a new feature implemented with regard to the filtering so that is cool but the simple act of selecting a new cab from the regular list seems to not work as expected.

If you click on the cab name in the cab block it brings up the new cab menu but if you select a new cab it does nothing (doesn't load/demo it and doesn't go back to the cab block just sits there dumbly with the window still open and the 'new' cab highlighted but the old one underlined). The only way to get it go back is to either: close the window in which case it does not select the new cab or to double click the cab in which case it selects the new cab but also depending on where the mouse is, will select something underneath the spot you clicked in the underlying editor window.

I can't even remember how it worked before because it just worked; but it's basically unusable for me now.I think it selected the new cab and closed.

Yes, I have the same "problem" .

This has been reported in a number of threads/posts and appears to be related to the new color codings...
It is being investigated...

Same when selecting a new amp from the list.
A little workaround is, to click a second time on it.
Then it works.
It seems, that it is necessary to click twice on an object ;-)

Same when selecting a new amp from the list.
A little workaround is, to click a second time on it.
Then it works.
It seems, that it is necessary to click twice on an object ;-)
I observed this as well.

And not sure if it's related, but I was unable to bring in any user cabs from my computer. In Axe-Manage cabs I can browse to the directory I want but all cab files are greyed out.

I observed this as well.

And not sure if it's related, but I was unable to bring in any user cabs from my computer. In Axe-Manage cabs I can browse to the directory I want but all cab files are greyed out.

Thanks for reply!
I have to try that later, because I'm not able to do it instantly.
My hint refers only to cab or amp selections using the lists.
I did the update last night, so there has not been so much time to test all functions.
It seems, a new version will be coming soon ;-)
Shit happens ...

Kind regards
Mike

I observed this as well.

That's normal. Because you have to select a folder and not files. Just click OPEN.

This is a fundamental change due to the new color coding feature. The release notes state the following.

Added new feature to the AMP and CAB picker called “Filter by Color”.
  • From the Amp and Cab picker window, select multiple items (hold down SHIFT or CMD as you would in any list) and right-click the selection to bring up the “Assign Color” menu. Selecting a color from this menu will mark the item's number field with the chosen color. Select “None” from the “Assign Color” menu to clear the assigned color.
  • Use the "Filter by Color" dropdown control at the top of the Amp or Cab picker to display only those items marked with a given color. "Filter by Color" supersedes the textual search filter box.
  • All assigned colors are saved to a file located in the same directory as the global settings (Mac: <user>/Application Support/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit/color-assignments.dat ; Windows: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\colorassignments.dat)
The caveat is that you now need to click twice to select an amp model or cabinet IR. The release notes should be updated to reflect this change.

Last edited:
but also depending on where the mouse is, will select something underneath the spot you clicked in the underlying editor window.

Double clicking causes this issue for me as well, and is pretty annoying. In my case it disabled my amp block, which wasn't particularly nice.

I think I've seen this issue in Axe Edit before, but I can't remember what the context.

The caveat is that you now need to click twice to select an amp model or cabinet IR. The release notes should be updated to reflect this change.

ok

This is a fundamental change due to the new color coding feature. The release notes state the following.

Added new feature to the AMP and CAB picker called “Filter by Color”.
  • From the Amp and Cab picker window, select multiple items (hold down SHIFT or CMD as you would in any list) and right-click the selection to bring up the “Assign Color” menu. Selecting a color from this menu will mark the item's number field with the chosen color. Select “None” from the “Assign Color” menu to clear the assigned color.
  • Use the "Filter by Color" dropdown control at the top of the Amp or Cab picker to display only those items marked with a given color. "Filter by Color" supersedes the textual search filter box.
  • All assigned colors are saved to a file located in the same directory as the global settings (Mac: <user>/Application Support/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit/color-assignments.dat ; Windows: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\colorassignments.dat)
Figured it was related, double click should work, though, IMHO. Also wish a different use model for doing the colors would have been chosen which did not change the most basic and fundamental interaction with that window. Have been using AE for a long time and selecting cabs is one of the most frequent operations and there is some serious conditioning there. I will select cabs many more times than I will color them... but I guess this is not my call to make. Sigh.

Actually the problem seems to be that you don't need to 'double click' to select a cab. You need to have clicked on it twice. So if you click on a cab/amp then wait, and then double-click, the third click (the second of the double click) goes through to the window behind the one you tried to double-click on. This is pretty unusual behaviour, but I think it should be pretty easy to improve upon.

yeah i'm going to suggest that the verbiage be changed to "click twice" which is very different than "double-click".

Back
Top Bottom