Dick Lovgren's Bass Sound - Meshuggah

I've been trying to dial his tone in, but no luck yet... was thinking of getting a pod just for this bass sound.

How about a clip of what you already have? That way we can see what needs to be added/removed...

I don't have perfect pitch, but what is that....a bass tuned down to a low G or something? I could be off base, but I'd venture to guess that the tuning accounts for most of the raunchiness. If that were a 4 string bass in standard tuning I wonder if it would sound all that unique?

Lovgren uses a 5-string Warwick in standard tuning. Marten and Fredrick use 8-string Ibanez neck-through customs through Axe Fx Ultra. I'd bet Dick is using an Axe Fx Ultra or Standard. Maybe a Fractal dude can confirm..... Maybe not.

diggi said:
Lovgren uses a 5-string Warwick in standard tuning. Marten and Fredrick use 8-string Ibanez neck-through customs through Axe Fx Ultra. I'd bet Dick is using an Axe Fx Ultra or Standard. Maybe a Fractal dude can confirm..... Maybe not.

Joel,

Jocke (ala Clawfinger) of the band Clawfinger, can probably give you the most insight into this, as I believe Meshuggah uses the same studio that Jocke works at.

Regards,
Jeff

He's using a vetta 2, look close and you can see he's pluged into it and from what I've read he still uses it even though Marten and Fredrick are now using axe fx on there tour. Can't wait to hear what they do with the axe fx on the next cd!!

And they tune down all strings a half step from standard tuning on most songs, Lovgren is tuned this way in the video also.

That's pretty damn good. I'm gonna give it a try with my Warwick and Farnel, and I'll report back.

Nice goin' right to rage!

To my ears that doesn't even sound like bass. It sure isn't the tone they use on Meshuggah albums. It doesn't have enough low end. It sounds good soloed with the drums but that's just like playing djent guitar. I say: FAS Modern + German cab for that tone in the video.

Ha... I don't own a bass. A guitar pitched down works when it's mixed in with regular guitar but it won't pass soloed like this. You'd need an 8-string or some serious tuning down. 54s are what I have as thickes gauge so won't be trying that. What I'm trying to say is that this tone is what bass sounds through a guitar amp. :D

That's sounding pretty decent for sure. Chunky. I found wet/dry ratios for bass sounds are pretty vital on the fx blocks if you start lacking any body or definition.

Nice job once again right to rage. Until a better representation of Mr Lovgren's sound and tone comes a long, I say we stay positive about your efforts, (and everyone else') and disregard those of naysayers.

~ Joel

Sounds like my bass bright patch with the blues drive block enabled. There's a bit of an extra something there too that could probably be achieved with a resonator block. Shouldn't be too hard to get something similar. I'll give it a shot and see if I can get something like it out of my patch.

Ok here's what I came up with. Not sure how close it is, but here ya go. I modified my bass bright preset, changed the EQ and cab and added both a resonator block and a phaser block. The combination of the blues drive with the resonator and phaser mixed in kind of give it that extra something in the edge.

Now, my bass and cabs and amp are listed below. I don't have an FRFR system, so depending on your bass and what you're playing through you'll probably have to play with EQ settings and what not, but I got it as close as I could on my rig. I also disabled my sonic maximizer since most people don't use them and did the tone editing with it off.

My bass has bass and treble EQ controls and uses EMG Hz pickups. I was using the bridge pickup with the bass knob at center detent and the treble knob maxed and played with a pick as he's doing in the video.

I was walking back and forth between the computer and my rig, so I was kinda going by memory on what his sound was, and I actually just built this preset in the editor, so hopefully I didn't miss anything with the settings.

You can also try disabling the drive block or lowering the drive on it if it's still too much.

Anyway, if it helps anyone, great. If not, sorry, I tried. :)

Back
Top Bottom