Dialing up V7... Simple, Fast, Effective - Some Thoughts

Scott--If it's not too much to ask, when you have time would you be willing to share your favorite amp/IR pairings?

Name the amp, I'll name the IR's. Just depends.

Scott, do you have a good way to audition the Redwirez stuff? I've been thinking about trying them but with the limited number of user slots it doesn't seem worth the money to me. Are you doing the IRs in your DAW or in the axe?

MixIR is a huge tool for this sort of thing.
Red Wire Impulse Responses | mixIR2 High Performance, Zero Latency Convolution Plug-in

Own Hammer has their own too:
Axe-O-Matic DSP - $20.00 : OwnHammer.com - Store

And a third party to rule all the Red Wire and Own Hammer:
iProductions Audio

If you don't want to spend money or use a DAW, it's easy (and free) to also just drop different IR's in the User Cab slots and use a stereo cab block to listen. Takes some more time, but no money.

Red Wire Impulse Responses | mixIR2 High Performance, Zero Latency Convolution Plug-in

iProductions Audio

If you don't want to spend money or use a DAW, it's easy (and free) to also just drop different IR's in the User Cab slots and use a stereo cab block to listen. Takes some more time, but no money.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Yup. The amps are now STOOPID easy for me to dial in.

I also tried using the Speaker resonance stuff after going to V7, and it did nothing for me. I still sometimes struggle with just the right IR, but the simpler speaker controls are effective ways of going from very good to great.

R

I have some in-depth experience with the K12 and I'll tell you straight up... it's an issue with the specific box. V7 might have helped; but that's not really the root of the issue when it comes to hyped top end.

I understand there are better options out there, and that the K12s have a very pronounced high end but they were within my cost benefit ratio; price range to level to which I will be performing. Trust me though, V7 made them a lot more usable, V6 sounded ice picky on everything I played it through, I was worried because I had not owned my Axe-Fx II very long ... at least now, the guitar's volume and tone controls take care of the rest.

Using Red Wire IR's, which I own, I went to a speaker that suits the particular amp and used a SM57 at 0" on Cap Edge and the other is a R121 at 0" Cap.

Yes, compared to the stock RW IRs with a mic sim added, the "native" RW IRs do seem a little more "natural" and transparent.

I also use a combination of two IRs. Here's a tip for those who play mono and want to cut CPU usage down:
Use Red Wire's online IR mixer to mix both IRs into a single IR. Adjust your Cab block and set it to LoRes.
You won't hear a difference and it saves a lot of CPU %.

I'm still adjusting Resonance, because I use a real cabinet, and a mixed IR that's the equivalent of that cabinet.

I haven't tweaked too many patches in 7.0, but I also have been leaning more toward my RW IR's than I was in 6.0. They seemed less "alive" in that firmware and also a bit dampened/quieter for some reason. Not sure why 7.0 would make such a difference, but it seems to.

As far as the FF/NF thing, I have noticed on a few patches where I had that scenario going, when I switched from the stock cabs in the factory bank to the FF/NF I was using before, I sometimes switched back. Also, before I was using Mr. Mitchell's 2x12 G12-65's almost exclusively. With 7.0 I prefer mixing in the EMI open back instead, but I either do not turn down the NF cab at all, or only a couple of db's instead of Scott's -6.

So before you completely give up on the FF thing, you might see how you like the 1x12 EMI mixed. It still seems to open up the sound a little for me, especially on cleaner amp settings.

iProductions Audio

+1010101

One of my biggest frustrations with owning all the RedWrez, Ownhammer IR's, and assorted others from the net was just the confusion that results from the vast amount of choices and how to organize them. Both MixIR and Axe-O-Matic DSP are awesome mixing and converting tools. I just this last week downloaded the iProductions IR-Lab tool and what a godsend! All the IR's organized and searchable by speaker, mic, position, and distance as well as a mixer and audio engine for auditioning. Well worth the nominal purchase price!

Also, don’t forget to use the 50 available User cab slots! Simply fill them up, put a looper block at the beginning of your patch and engage it, play a riff and click through the cab slots for real time compares with the patch you are using. It’s a simple and effective approach.

I'll take you up on that:

- AC30
- Plexis
- JCM800/Super
- BE/HBE
- Fenders
- /13
- Weasel
- Shirley
- Splawn (saw you like it)
- Any others that are your main go-to amps

Thanks Scott!

Jeeeeeeez! The door was open and you slipped up. A simple ALL 75+ would have been the ticket! :lol

Jeeeeeeez! The door was open and you slipped up. A simple ALL 75+ would have been the ticket! :lol

I didn't want to scare him off :D. I tried to pick from a lot of the amps Scott has used in the past, plus some new ones. I'm thankful for any help Scott can throw my way - he's been great and I enjoy his approach to things.

Here's a tip for those who play mono and want to cut CPU usage down:
Use Red Wire's online IR mixer to mix both IRs into a single IR. Adjust your Cab block and set it to LoRes.
You won't hear a difference and it saves a lot of CPU %.
isn't the RedWirez online mixer only putting out Low Res IRs or have they changed it in the meantime for us to take advantage of the II 2048 samples ?

I haven't tweaked too many patches in 7.0, but I also have been leaning more toward my RW IR's than I was in 6.0. They seemed less "alive" in that firmware and also a bit dampened/quieter for some reason. Not sure why 7.0 would make such a difference, but it seems to.

As far as the FF/NF thing, I have noticed on a few patches where I had that scenario going, when I switched from the stock cabs in the factory bank to the FF/NF I was using before, I sometimes switched back. Also, before I was using Mr. Mitchell's 2x12 G12-65's almost exclusively. With 7.0 I prefer mixing in the EMI open back instead, but I either do not turn down the NF cab at all, or only a couple of db's instead of Scott's -6.

So before you completely give up on the FF thing, you might see how you like the 1x12 EMI mixed. It still seems to open up the sound a little for me, especially on cleaner amp settings.

I agree. I'm not completely scrapping the NF/FF mixing technique. I also quite like that FF EMI 1x12. I just set up a high gain rhythm tone using the Dizzy VH4 (channel 3) using one stereo cab block w/ the same cab using an sm57 & r121... and another patch using the same amp and exact same settings but using the EMI FF as one of the cabs (keeping the levels of both at 0.0db).

They both sound fantastic. The NF/FF patch has an almost off axis mic sound to it.

I still think the NF/FF mix 'trick' still works very well.

I have some in-depth experience with the K12 and I'll tell you straight up... it's an issue with the specific box. V7 might have helped; but that's not really the root of the issue when it comes to hyped top end.

It's just a simpler and more focused sound than doing the same with the stock IR's. You can get the idea and flavor by doing it with the stock IR's before you get into dropping IR's into user slots though... but I've found the Red Wire IR's mixed in this manner to be more focused and work better for my ear.

JUST MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :D

Scott could you elaborate more on this. I just bought 2 K12's last week and would love to get them dialed in. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them. Thanks

isn't the RedWirez online mixer only putting out Low Res IRs or have they changed it in the meantime for us to take advantage of the II 2048 samples ?

It outputs Gen1 as well as Gen2 sysex IRs.
And WAVs, which can be converted using Axe-O-Matic.

Last edited:
Another huge fan of IR-Lab here. I'm sure that the other offerings work fantastic, but I started out with IR-Lab and am used to it and the sort and search is invaluable to me. It isn't just the mixing ability, but the fact that I can audition and find what I'm looking for easily. I usually refer to the wiki for recommended cabinet types to go with a specific amp and then use the RW pdf about finding your tone (basically explains the mic positions and gives some starting points). I'll mix some of the room, rear or far mics in there and when I'm done tweaking on it I'm almost always happy.

As for v7, I always felt that the dynamics on this thing were fantastic, but to me it's about the core tone and default settings right now. No more PEQ's (haven't had to for a while now) and it's just easier for everything.

I'll just add that the one 'advanced' parameter that I'm addicted to is still the room level in the cab block. I play through headphones a lot and this makes them sound bigger. Not sure how it translates to a mix yet, but it's one knob that I could just dial back if I was recording. While I'm playing it sounds great.

Scott,
Thank god you wrote this post !
I have been just loving the stock patches on v7, with just minor tweaking of gain,drive ,mv etc to taste, and I was thinking maybe my ears are just crap, I really have to spend a thousand hours doing the whole speaker resonance thing to make it sound better.
Whew, what a load off...

And I agree that the Axe is better than the old tubes because it gives you more power to alter the sounds that were never available with the original tube amps.
As I said in another post, " tube is tube, but digital is better"

Back
Top Bottom