Dialing Out "Harshness"

Cam Heiliger

Inspired
One of my most common problems in dialing in tones in the FM3 is getting rid of "harshness" in the high end. As I increase the volume dialing in amps it is a natural and expected occurrence. I play bright guitars (teles, strats, etc) and if I were to crank up any tube amp with the dials at noon and point the speakers directly at my face, I would experience the same thing there too. This is something that a lot of folks new Fractal don't always fully grasp because they are used to playing tube amps pointed at their legs rather than at their ears. If this is a problem you are struggling with, here are a few suggestions that I found "soften" harsh frequencies with bright guitars. I like to use these methods before I resort to the amp EQ or a secondary EQ block:

1. Speaker Drive - This parameter can be found both in the amp block under the Speaker section with the impedance curves and in the cab block in the preamp section. I generally dial in about 2 on the amp block and 1 on the cab - adjust to taste.

2. Tube Hardness - This can be found in both the Preamp and Power Amp Tube sections of the Amp block and correspond to those aforementioned sections. Reducing tube hardness smooths out distortion and rounds out your tone a bit. I generally reduce preamp hardness to around 7 depending on the tube type. It will change depending on the type of preamp tube you select, so experiment with that too and note that some are naturally lower or higher in hardness. For power amp tubes I like to reduce to around 3, depending on the amp.

3. Output Compression - This can be found in the Dynamics section of the amp block. This is a trick that Cliff suggested early on for people look for Kemper-esque tones which generally have a more compressed midrange. Set the type to Feedback and dial in around 6db (usually around 2 on the dial) - this adds some distortion and compression in the midrange that can give clean or slightly broken up amps a squishier midrange. I don't like this setting for higher gain amps as it can add congestion, but it does smooth out the top end in cleaner models.

4. Input Boost - For higher gain tones, several of the input boost models roll off high end. The RCB Boost, AC Boost, TS808, and Super OD come to mind. They are great choices to juice the midrange of your amp model while cutting highs (and lows in some instances). These are worth experimenting with for sure. I often set my higher gain amps with lower input gain and add the boosts even for my crunch tones as I like the EQ effect.

Hope this is helpful to anyone struggling to dial in pleasing tones at higher volumes. I struggled with this for a while as I was getting great tones at home, but live my guitar was bright and harsh (see Fletcher Munson effect). Once I started dialing in at higher volumes and learned how to tweak the amp models to compensate for my bright guitars, those issues went away. Good luck!

Cool. I'm going to try all of these! A lot of the stock presets and normal amp sounds are harsh to me, and it is encouraging to think that more of the Fractal sounds could be useful to me with more insight and tools at my disposal.

Another common (and highly effective) way to deal with this is the High Cut section in the amp block. I generally cut down to between 5-6k with a 12db slope. I would check out the “High Treble” knob in the amp block Ideal section as well. I find this allows me to dial out some spikey frequencies without sucking the “air” out of my tone.

None of these has really helped me much. And cutting the highs can result in a muddy tone. In my experience, the appropriate IR is what gets me pleasant tones at high volume or high gain. To my personal taste, more than 90% of the IRs out there are fizzy, nasty and harsh on the high end.

Tone control on a guitar. Roll it back to taste. Done. ;)

Unless you are Eddie or Nuno and don't have one.

Kidding. :) I am curious where you have yours set on your guitars Cam.

I've played with the Tube hardness in the preamp and power amp sections and they can help.
Using the input block can rolling off some top end can help.
Rolling off in cab block to about 5-6khz can help but then compensate with an eq (amp block or peq)

Would like the see the smoothing algorithm for the axe3 implemented

Tone control on a guitar. Roll it back to taste. Done. ;)

Unless you are Eddie or Nuno and don't have one.

Kidding. :) I am curious where you have yours set on your guitars Cam.
Depends on the guitar. I dial in my neck pickup in my teles at full tone and roll back for the bridge. My Vela is nicely balanced between the bridge humbucker (think Gretsch meets PAF) and the neck pickup. I play rhythm and sing so I don’t ride my tone knob too much honestly. A lot of the “harshness” that I try to tame is in the feel or response of the amp models. Particularly the way they respond to strumming and picking dynamics. That’s why I like these parameters. Plus they often save me from having to use an always on compressor so I open up more CPU for other effects.

One of the issues I've found when dialing stage loud volumes is that PA is usually quieter (15-20db less) than my monitor. So when dialing tone you have to consider this difference on the PA, because will be much darker due to fletcher munson.

I have my amp always facing me and tilted so I usually end up with a very low amp treble, higher bass etc...really dark tone in lower volumes.

As I use traditional speaker, I usually choose an IR for PA that fits better in lower volumes, as I would for recording.

Last edited:
None of these has really helped me much. And cutting the highs can result in a muddy tone. In my experience, the appropriate IR is what gets me pleasant tones at high volume or high gain. To my personal taste, more than 90% of the IRs out there are fizzy, nasty and harsh on the high end.
The IR shapes the entire EQ of the amp, so it is definitely massively important. I agree that cutting highs can make your tone muddy as well - that is why I like these tricks because most change the response of the amp, rather than the EQ. Getting the correct IR in place is definitely a prerequisite to these adjustments though - there is no saving an EQ that makes an amp sound overly bright and brittle. These items are really just the final tweaks that help me get the live tones that I'm looking for.

I learned a lot from @2112 about the low and high cuts in the cab block. Some seemingly extreme settings can really do wonders for dialing out harshness and tightening any loose, flubby low end at gig volume. It’s been the most valuable piece of info I’ve gotten for my presets.

I will try the above mentioned suggestions though as I tend to stick on the authentic tabs for most of what I do.

Can you suggest any factory IRs you consider good? My problem with auditioning IRs is that I’m already dialed in for the IR I’m using. So it’s possible I’m blowing through good IRs that sound bad because of my preset.

Can you suggest any factory IRs you consider good? My problem with auditioning IRs is that I’m already dialed in for the IR I’m using. So it’s possible I’m blowing through good IRs that sound bad because of my preset.
Undial.

Make your preset IR-agnostic, then audition & find the right IR because that will take care of most of your problems, then tweak for tone, then spice rack your effects and scenes and channels and everything else.

In other words start from scratch with an amp, choose the IR first before you do anything else.

If it's rolling the tone back on the guitar why not just roll off the higher frequencies in the amp blocks input EQ. Many ways to skin a cat in the fractal hardware.

IRs should not be any more fizzy or harsh than if you were to put your ears on axis with the speaker, which most people don't do with a typical real guitar cab where we hear the cab off axis on the floor, usually then dialing way too much highs for the audience who is closer to ear level if the stage is tall enough.

That fizz is also important for cutting in a mix where it blends in but adds some clarity.

Try auditing IR’s with the amp you want to use still at default settings. When you stumble upon the “right” IR for the job, you know that in an instant. And audit with your eyes close, unlikely combinations sometimes yield unexpected but really satisfying results.

If it's rolling the tone back on the guitar why not just roll off the higher frequencies in the amp blocks input EQ. Many ways to skin a cat in the fractal hardware.
That's a completely different thing, though? Even the same change in EQ has different effects on the end results based on where it's located in the signal chain.

I tend to gravitate toward ribbon mic IRs as they are fatter and generally less high end forward. Search for IRs with “160” or “121” in the name. I dial a general high cut in the preamp section of the amp block. 80 low, 5500 high. Then if I’m still getting harsh frequencies, I’ll go back to the main page of the amp block and use the high cuts on the individual cabs. When you blend IRs you will get some natural phase cancellation which can darken up the sound so I always use two in the FM3 though there are plenty of dark factory IRs.

Back
Top Bottom