Dialing in the Morgan AC20

benvigil

Experienced
Need some help...

Ever since I picked up the AX8 (I know this isn't technically a "Tone Match" question, but hey), I've been trying to recreate the sound of a Kemper profile from user rmpacheco of a Morgan AC20. I loved that profile. It sounds heavenly -- chewy, chimey, sparkly, with a smooth and creamy overdrive, and you don't loose the bottom end when you dig in.

This is how the "stock" profile sounds:

I can get close, but either the overdrive is breaking up all wrong, or the bottom end is flubbing out, or... I just can't get it. Any suggestions?

Very nice sound - I think it´s all a question of the right IR, not of dialing in the amp. Which one do you use ? There´s a very nice free from Larry Mitchel or third party CabIR or Justin York/Ownhammer.

Couple things I did... switched over from the AC-20 EF86 B to the AC-20 12AX7 T and changed the way I approached the tone stack.

I was originally using the stock 1x12 D/13 IR, but switched over to the Ownhammer OH 212 MES-RC G12H OH2-03 IR with a little bit of Proximity dialed in. This really cleans up the low end and still retains some of the sparkle. Another one that works well is the OH 412 MAR-CB EV-MIX OH2-03 with no Proximity if you want it a little cleaner/beefier. But the G12H works a little better.

The factory F188 4x12 G12H Creamback Mix (Cel) sound similar if you add some Proximity.

I'm pretty close now. With the low end handled, the right amount (and kind) of amp compression, and with a pretty generous amount of EQ to tame the gnarly-style of distortion and smooth out the top end. It doesn't quite compress/react the same way, but the tonal character is there now.

Attached an AX8 Preset. If you're using the AxeFX, Control Switch 1 is tied to the Input Drive to toggle between 4.1 and 9.5. If you're finding that amount of drive (9.5) too flubby, you can also attach Out Comp Amount to the same CS1 to roll it way down at the same time.

Attachments

• Morgan AC-20 (BV).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 100
The new ML AC20 patch that fractal put out is fantastic. It'll take a tweak to get on an AX8, but shouldn't be too bad with frac-tool. I'd imagine it'll nail that tone pretty easily.

OHHHHH.... those.

Yeah, those do sound good. But that AC20 preset is NOTHING like the one I'm talking about.

OHHHHH.... those.

Yeah, those do sound good. But that AC20 preset is NOTHING like the one I'm talking about.
Have you played w/ the input trim, speaker resonance, and contour a little? That'll add touch, gain, and focus. after I finish the TripleCrown patch, I'd be more than happy to dig into this one as well. What's your setup?

I uploaded the current preset above.

I run a number of guitars into it, but the main one or a mahogany strat with a Zexcoil Vintage Single 5 (SV5) set. I monitor mostly with either JBL 305/sub or HD600 phones.

IR is everything....and i know you've moved on but that D13 IR is boomy a heck. I can see how a 412 will help with tightening up the low end, but i'd try to find a 112 i liked to better match the amps vibe. first place i'd look would be the OH Class A pack. I use an IR from there with my main worship preset and love it.

that being said, the AC20 has no controls, so if you're having to do a lot of extensive eq'ing i'd say the IR is holding you back.

also, i believe that KPA profile has some compression and stuff going on to sweeten outside of just the profile itself.

the vid is cool but it's a pretty standard boutique vox tone.

also, i believe that KPA profile has some compression and stuff going on to sweeten outside of just the profile itself.
Yes, it is modified quite a bit (compression & EQ) post-capture. It makes the breakup smooth and silky with less grit you'd normally get from a Vox.

This is what the profile sounds like gained up (listen all the way to the end where he's just improv'ing):

The preset I posted has some heavy power amp compression and GEQ. Try it out.

Spent last night chatting w/ Nick about tone and gear. He’s running ch2 of the triple crown and dialing out the treble and presence completely. He only uses modelers when it’s the most convenient option, but he was pretty empathic about low output single coils and removing all the high transients. Him and Aaron Marshall then went on to talk about how the topology of the Triple Crown is pretty unique. I’m going to keep playing with some of this new info and see what I can brew up.

Yes, it is modified quite a bit (compression & EQ) post-capture. It makes the breakup smooth and silky with less grit you'd normally get from a Vox.
Also try the Matchbox D-30 model for a Voxy tone with smoother breakup.

Also try the Matchbox D-30 model for a Voxy tone with smoother breakup.
Using different amp (or drive) models to achieve another's tone is the one of the best pieces of advice. It's stopped me banging my head against the wall trying to get a tone to sound exactly how I hear a particular amp.

So many amps/models have more similarities than differences so it only makes sense to take advantage of the availability of them. Add the ability to change preamp & power tubes, tone stacks, speakers etc... and there's really no reason one can't get exactly the tone they want. It may come from a different model but it is in there. Continuing to frustrate one's self because you have to use a particular amp doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Reactions: Rex
I just wish we had the EF86 side of the DC30. The magic jumping the 2 channels together. I've been running the DC30 along with the EF86 Ac20 into the same can to try and get the same vibe but it's not quite there....because the DC30 EF86 channel is magic. I just don't like AC20's.

This is what the profile sounds like gained up (listen all the way to the end where he's just improv'ing):

The preset I posted has some heavy power amp compression and GEQ. Try it out.

and..what a guitarist is Nick...!!! wow

Back
Top Bottom