Diagnosing harsh treble - problem solved! Cab IR content

Goodsal

Over the past few weeks I became dissatisfied with my tone, which happens to all of us from time to time. My favorite amp models (JTM45, Plexi 100W 1970, SLO100, etc) just sounded harsh and overly bright in the top end. I assumed that something had changed in the various firmware upgrades I had done. I tried re-setting back to earlier firmware versions, resetting amps, etc. I thought maybe I had a bad cable. I tried everything.

Then I tried deleting my go to IR (LT TV Mix 2) and reloading it, and there it was! Everything came back into balance.

I am curious though what would cause that to happen? Somehow the IR got corrupted or wasn't loaded properly, and reloading it solved the problem. I'm wondering if this could happen to a factory IR or only to a 3rd party IR.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Can't say that I've ever specifically had this occur, but it sounds very interesting and I'm eager to see if anyone else has had the issue.

Over the past few weeks I became dissatisfied with my tone, which happens to all of us from time to time. My favorite amp models (JTM45, Plexi 100W 1970, SLO100, etc) just sounded harsh and overly bright in the top end. I assumed that something had changed in the various firmware upgrades I had done. I tried re-setting back to earlier firmware versions, resetting amps, etc. I thought maybe I had a bad cable. I tried everything.

Then I tried deleting my go to IR (LT TV Mix 2) and reloading it, and there it was! Everything came back into balance.

I am curious though what would cause that to happen? Somehow the IR got corrupted or wasn't loaded properly, and reloading it solved the problem. I'm wondering if this could happen to a factory IR or only to a 3rd party IR.

IRs are stored in FLASH. FLASH memory can become corrupted though it is rare. If you've ever plugged a USB memory stick into your computer and some of your files were damaged that's the same thing.

Reloading the IR is the solution.

Yes, happened to me once with a user IR. I had to re import it and everything worked ok after that.

Back
Top Bottom