Development with the next firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would really hope the devs have a sense of humor and not be offended over a meme.
I can tell you when my team and I are up against the wall, the bugs are coming in and the clients are getting testy, nobody has a sense of humor. It’s all very funny until you’ve been on the other side of it.

Edit: to be perfectly clear here: I do not work for Fractal. I am speaking as a software development professional in general.

Last edited:
While I appreciate the humor, that's nothing close to the truth. It might seem like it on the surface, but they're working their *sses off and these sort of memes might be seen as criticism of and by the developers.
I'm sorry if the meme makes those hard workers uncomfortable, I respect them and really appreciate their hard works, I just wanted to make some fun with people who are waiting like me :sweatsmile:

You’d hope, but they are seriously working hard. People lose sight of the effort put into these sort of efforts, and occasionally even Cliff gets fed up and says something.
I wanted to stay far away from this. BUT I just hope Cliff, the Devs, the beta testers and all of the FAS team know there are many more of us FM3 owners who are not feeling entitled to anything and understand it will be ready when it’s ready. Most of all that those few here wading into odd territory are a small minority.

“Odd” is the friendliest word I could think of right now.

I wanted to stay far away from this. BUT I just hope Cliff, the Devs, the beta testers and all of the FAS team know there are many more of us FM3 owners who are not feeling entitled to anything and understand it will be ready when it’s ready. Most of all that those few here wading into odd territory are a small minority.

“Odd” is the friendliest word I could think of right now.
“Odd” has so many useful meanings. :)

I can tell you when my team and I are up against the wall, the bugs are coming in and the clients are getting testy, nobody has a sense of humor. It’s all very funny until you’ve been on the other side of it.

Not ever having been in devs or anything, this seems different. A public beta release for the poverty model to bring that unit up to date with the current features of the flagship model is not like customers that have bought expensive software that is unstable and needs to be debugged before customers can properly use the software that they paid good money for. The latter would definitely be up against the wall with customers getting testy; the former, not so much.

That's not to say I think Fractal doesn't have situations that have a lot of heat and such, they do, but this just doesn't seem like it should be one.

Not ever having been in devs or anything, this seems different. A public beta release for the poverty model to bring that unit up to date with the current features of the flagship model is not like customers that have bought expensive software that is unstable and needs to be debugged before customers can properly use the software that they paid good money for. The latter would definitely be up against the wall with customers getting testy; the former, not so much.

That's not to say I think Fractal doesn't have situations that have a lot of heat and such, they do, but this just doesn't seem like it should be one.
Not to produce the flame, but let's not forget, that the price of the cheapest model of FA is almost the same as the flagship models of its competitors. Let alone the flagship model of FA, which is almost 3 times more. And this price includes not only the hardware but also frequent updates. Because when people buy a gear, they also consider, what's included in this price. Software updates are also one of the factors. It's not a free perk. It's a price-forming factor. And it's what money is paid for as well.

Disclaimer: I think that FA does a great job fulfilling these expectations entirely. That's why I am also FA user myself. I just see it very often, that people imply that we pay for the hardware and the current state of the software only. And all the updates are just a goodwill gesture. While it's not. It's part of the price. So I can understand why some people are agitated about each update, especially when they already see it on a flagship model.

I love my FM3 Mkii FW7.0

I was not expecting an update.

I love the Odyssey by Symphony X because it’s 24+min long and epic.

The best part of the song is at the climax when Odysseus returns home after 20 years.

The built up tension and anticipation dissipates and then erupts into a catharsis and is well worth the wait.

Does anyone else like
Symphony X?

Last edited:
I love my FM3 Mkii FW7.0

I was not expecting an update.

I love the Odyssey by Symphony X because it’s 24+min long and epic.

The best part of the song is at the climax when Odysseus returns home after 20 years.

The built up tension and anticipation dissipates into a catharsis and is well worth the wait.

Does anyone else like
Symphony X?
Back in time they were addictive while preparing university exams!
thanks for the pleasant memory!

In all firmware update threads for AXE Fx 3 and FM9, there are always people eagerly anticipating the next update. However, only in the FM3 thread, several individuals insist that we have no right to expect anything and should be content with what we have. Come on, we're just really looking forward to the new firmware, that's all. And if someone mentions it, it doesn't mean they're demanding it or in any way diminishing the developers' efforts.

Not a few behind. Usually just 1. This one’s taking longer because it’s a lot of work trying to squeeze it in the little guy.
And the only reason the FM3 is currently a couple updates behind the Axe is because Cliff just put out a full new beta with amp modeling updates and the dev team decided that they wanted to include EVERYTHING in the next FM3 update rather than having everyone bitch and complain that they didn’t get the absolute most recent update from the flagship unit.

There’s no winning here for this team. I do hope that they have a sense of humor and can block out the “noise”. Greg clearly laid out the number of updates for all three units and it far surpasses any other company in this space. Be patient. Be grateful. Relax.

There’s no winning here for this team.
Actually there is.. they have produced a great device, and no doubt will produce a great update for it, which everyone including themselves will likely take a great deal of satisfaction in. Sometimes the expectancy may be high due to it being such a good product but that seems like a price worth paying

Not to produce the flame, but let's not forget, that the price of the cheapest model of FA is almost the same as the flagship models of its competitors. Let alone the flagship model of FA, which is almost 3 times more. And this price includes not only the hardware but also frequent updates. Because when people buy a gear, they also consider, what's included in this price. Software updates are also one of the factors. It's not a free perk. It's a price-forming factor. And it's what money is paid for as well.

Disclaimer: I think that FA does a great job fulfilling these expectations entirely. That's why I am also FA user myself. I just see it very often, that people imply that we pay for the hardware and the current state of the software only. And all the updates are just a goodwill gesture. While it's not. It's part of the price. So I can understand why some people are agitated about each update, especially when they already see it on a flagship model.
100%. I have seen firmware updates referenced by users as "gifts". They are bizarre gifts if one's intent is partly to increase the value of the product being sold or sustain one's position against competition, etc etc. You don't normally buy your friend chicken with french fries to eat on such a basis, not even if the chicken were to increase one's appeal. At least not if it's a real gift imo.

Also, to me it's not surprising people seemingly "loose their minds" about updates coming to fm3 considering it's mostly Cliff making stuff for the III. It is very much to be expected, as hype builds up, even though I doubt it makes much sense to the level we see it. In some form, I believe it has little to do with playing guitar or music. But it's also what comes with consumer-based-desire culture that props up products in the first place, at least in part.

That aside, I do think fractal generally does a good job with updates, considering their situation. At least myself, I do not see much evidence for the view that they don't care for the FM3 (which seems implied from time to time).

Last edited:
when it's ready... it's ready... been playing my FM3 all morning on a session and it is just simply a GLORIOUS time to be alive as a guitarist.. fancy a Plexi, Dumble, Engl, Soldano, Mesa, Marshall, Fender.. boom, dial it up, and there it is. I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but two years on, I'm a genuine fan. as a session player I should have switched years ago..

as for the new firmware, I'm super excited..
1712231823709.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom