Desktop Monitors

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
I'm looking for a pair of Desktop Monitors, specifically for jamming along with YT, CD,s or streaming music.
(These will be going in our family room. I have other monitors for above 85DB in my music room)

Clarification: The computer in the family room already has a pair of basic speakers for the jam along music.
I want the new pair of speakers only for my guitar sound.

Requirements:
Small Size
Good Tone
Good price

Can you make any recommendations?
Thanks

Last edited:
Will the Bluetooth have any latency issues??
I never noticed any between my phone and speakers but it wouldn't matter even if it did because you'd be playing in time time with any delayed signal. Unless you look at your phone or other audio input you won't notice a delay. But again I never even noticed a delay between the video on my phone and the monitors.

@markc I forgot to mention this in the original post.
Clarification: The computer in the family room already has a pair of basic speakers for the jam along music.

So I am concerned with any Bluetooth connection and latency. Thanks!

@markc I forgot to mention this in the original post.

So I am concerned with any Bluetooth connection and latency. Thanks!

Forget using Bluetooth for your guitar. Even Bluetooth aptX Low Latency, while is fine for watching a video and having sound synced to lip movement, it's nowhere near fast enough for guitar playing. I've tried it with headphones and the sound is noticeably after the picking. The Eris speakers mentioned above should work well. The Bluetooth is only for playing music from your cellphone or other Bluetooth device without using a wired connection (which you could still do).

The Focal Shape are over $1000 for a pair, that is out of my budget.
They look nice though.

I have a pair of the 3" Mackie Monitors. I got them for $80 shipped & they sound good. I've been jamming guitars & listening to music with them extensively for the last 3 years with no regrets. 👍

I have the Presonus Eris 3.5" as a second set of monitors for my daw\guitar. sound fine for what they are. I do NOT use the bluetooth feature.

I have 2 pairs if iloud micro monitors. One is connected to a TV in the living room and they are incredible for the size for program material.
I've never used them for guitar amplification.

I tried Ilouds for guitars. They are nice monitors but you may experience some port noise, just given the design and size of the monitors, themselves.

Genelec 8010A.

I've lauded these little monsters consistently and they are incredible monitors for their size. Stereo imaging is excellent and the range for a 3" driver is very impressive. Can be fairly inexpensively paired with a sub to extend the low end. Small enough to throw in a bag for moving around which I've done to various hotels etc. Great little speakers.

Imo avoid the Mackie CR series.

While great for gaming or general multimedia at low volume, they are extremely boomy and compressed and horrible for mixing / critical listening.

Back
Top Bottom